EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Turbo, would love to know your source or sources. In the space of 2 days you have given 3 different coaches of Avondale; all with no backing.

Looking on the O&M forum you last week said that patty Rose was 100% done deal gone to wodonga, now his going to coach avondale? After earlier today you didn't even know the fact that he had signed up at Avondale. Would presume someone with so much knowledge as yourself would have found out a lot earlier that he had re-commited.

All for rumours and this is getting towards the 'silly season' but at least have a bit of meat to the rumour. you're just making these up yourself and they have no credibility.

Mate it's footy coaching and clubs will talk to a number of prospective people. Just keeping you all updated on any news I hear. Someone mentioned Patty tonight in the pub and the source is very close.

I did give you the Mail on when Ghaz "offically" stood down. So believe me or not I don't care.

But i was sure Patty was leaving but guessing his staying if they have agreed to appoint him coach. Interesting decision if true!!

Bang is correct in that "Dogga" Cravino has recommitted to Avondale this week.

Mate it's footy coaching and clubs will talk to a number of prospective people. Just keeping you all updated on any news I hear. Someone mentioned Patty tonight in the pub and the source is very close.

I did give you the Mail on when Ghaz "offically" stood down. So believe me or not I don't care.

But i was sure Patty was leaving but guessing his staying if they have agreed to appoint him coach. Interesting decision if true!!

Bang is correct in that "Dogga" Cravino has recommitted to Avondale this week.
The fact you think Saade stood down shows your facts are so far wrong. He wanted to coach on in 2016 but I'm sure you knew that.

And I can tell you that patty rose will not be coach. He has signed on as a player for next year and that is all.

Just pulled this from the VAFA thread. Very interesting read. So do some of these clubs with big junior numbers have arrangements with schools?

A big whisper starting to do the rounds around essendon regarding PEGS FC...
Ok, made some calls and this is what I was able to find out....
PEGS juniors looking to go to EDFL. The only problem is that the EDFL would expect the senior team to move across a year later.
Apparently, there is no way the senior club is even considering the move and there is no way the EDFL clubs would allow PEGS juniors in on their own as they stand to lose too many juniors to PEGS.
Clubs like Aberfeldie, Strathmore, Doutta Stars are littered with PEGS kids and would stand to lose about 30 kids each to PEGS should the play in the EDFL and not the WRFL as they currently do. They estimate that Aberfeldie U/18s this year has approx. 16 PEGS kids in it.

Just pulled this from the VAFA thread. Very interesting read. So do some of these clubs with big junior numbers have arrangements with schools?

A big whisper starting to do the rounds around essendon regarding PEGS FC...
Ok, made some calls and this is what I was able to find out....
PEGS juniors looking to go to EDFL. The only problem is that the EDFL would expect the senior team to move across a year later.
Apparently, there is no way the senior club is even considering the move and there is no way the EDFL clubs would allow PEGS juniors in on their own as they stand to lose too many juniors to PEGS.
Clubs like Aberfeldie, Strathmore, Doutta Stars are littered with PEGS kids and would stand to lose about 30 kids each to PEGS should the play in the EDFL and not the WRFL as they currently do. They estimate that Aberfeldie U/18s this year has approx. 16 PEGS kids in it.
The edfl should let them come over then .....it would be one way of evening up the comp

Milkman- what can I say as I was expecting some comments due some early season posts on other grounds. Yeah agree ground is not in real good shape at present. Doesn't hold water well so issue with drainage that must be looked at. In there defence not much support from council as don't get looked after like some other clubs with lighting, etc. At least we didn't see any injuries I suppose.

Now on the game Pacco have 7 out of there best 22 not currently playing however Abers didn't have Riemers & Johns. Not sure if any others were missing. Abers way to good and to many "big" names for Pacco to contain. To much overall height in key positions, the little nuggety guys liked the conditions, and Abers to much run & spread for Pacco. The game was played in good spirits but some of the umpiring is starting to confuse me. Am I just seeing it different now Pacco have lost a couple, who knows, but I would love to know the free kick count.

It's all Abers this year, BUT if Graham goes down, maybe, just maybe, someone might get Abers on the last day. I'm not sure he liked the conditions. Now we all know players at Abers are well paid but Ryan Allan is a gun of the competition. They can't afford him to go down. Where did #28 Laurie come from? He looks like a good talent.
For Pacco I thought Bev did well on big Graham around the ground. Jackson is a beauty and quickly becoming a Pacco favourite. Urquart is a gun and hitting some good form.

Now I must make a comment on something I didn't like. The Abers runner hardly leaves the ground. Delivers a message a then stays in the middle of the ground moving around barking instructions. Only in the last 5 minutes when a supporter yelled out, that the umpire told him to leave the ground. Now he was holding is ear a bit. Did he have communication to the coach via an ear piece? Pretty ordinary if true.

Puffpuff, tell me it's not true please. If you don't believe me watch the video as both clubs had people record the game. He doesn't leave the ground. How long has this been going on for??
First time I have agreed with Turbo. Ryan Allan is a gun of the comp. Watched Abers 3 times this year has impressed each time especially yesterday. Good to see him injury free as well as Phillips who created lots of run for Abers.

Should let St Bernards in as well, that would also help.
Yeah that would be a good idea develop their player's in a strong jnr competition & then go on & play good footy for their Snr side in another competition, you don't see any of there jnr players move to a WRFL side once they hit U18.5 they stay in ammos so you will have a weaker U18.5 competition if you let them in.
There has been talk of making the U18.5 a separate competition to the Snr division so you have the best U18.5 teams play each other & the teams struggling to get U18.5 can attract player's to play at a standard so they can compete instead of getting flogged each week, this won't happen if you allow Pegs & the st bernards jnrs to play in the U10 to U16 comps & then they'll move on to U19 ammos

First time I have agreed with Turbo. Ryan Allan is a gun of the comp. Watched Abers 3 times this year has impressed each time especially yesterday. Good to see him injury free as well as Phillips who created lots of run for Abers.

Onlooker, I believe that's the difference between Abers and the rest. There key backs do the job most weeks and Ryan Allen often sets up play. Houli doing his job each week. The other 3 sides just don't have key backs who are as good.
I think Greenvale & Pacco can match them for quality forwards and quality midfield so they both will get enough inside 50s, but Abers back 6 or 7 stick to their tasks and provide rebound. Abers often play an extra back "link man" and work hard, where the other 3 sides just don't have that rebounding skill. Yes Keilor have the benefit of the best coach and play a more defensive game, but find it harder to score using this method.
So how do you beat Abers? Have a shoot out or go really defensive and play man on man?
Anyway only my views..

Popped up to Keilor today to watch a junior final and the ground was in top condition. It's recovered well. Would love to know what work has been done during the season, as I do know the council give it special attention being next to the council office.

No dimmies today boys, but the egg & bacon roll was top shelf. Haha

Onlooker, I believe that's the difference between Abers and the rest. There key backs do the job most weeks and Ryan Allen often sets up play. Houli doing his job each week. The other 3 sides just don't have key backs who are as good.
I think Greenvale & Pacco can match them for quality forwards and quality midfield so they both will get enough inside 50s, but Abers back 6 or 7 stick to their tasks and provide rebound. Abers often play an extra back "link man" and work hard, where the other 3 sides just don't have that rebounding skill. Yes Keilor have the benefit of the best coach and play a more defensive game, but find it harder to score using this method.
So how do you beat Abers? Have a shoot out or go really defensive and play man on man?
Anyway only my views..

Popped up to Keilor today to watch a junior final and the ground was in top condition. It's recovered well. Would love to know what work has been done during the season, as I do know the council give it special attention being next to the council office.

No dimmies today boys, but the egg & bacon roll was top shelf. Haha

Hey 'Turbo' I believe you are wrong on a number of topics you have raised..

Firstly I don't believe the difference between Aber's and the rest of the competition is their key backs as you only had to be there yesterday to see their back six exposed on numerous occasions on the fast break, at the moment their major advantage is definitely their team defence. When their midfield and high forwards are afforded the opportunity to get back to assist the back six they are very hard to score against hence why they can be exposed with quality decisions and fast ball movement..

Secondly I don't think you have to match them for quality forwards and quality mids as that would be a mighty task for any local team playing against Aber's with the current playing list that they have been able to assemble but you definitely have to match them for team defence, which is not an ability but simply a mindset. With the amount of possessions Aber's win throughout the game it would be selfish of any team to depend on their back six to continuously defend against the likes of Reimers, Kefford, McNamara and Graham who takes advantage of their high possession game by continuously sliding forward whilst he is playing in the ruck..

If you are able to match Aber's for their team defence it will go a long way to reducing their numerous scoring opportunities whilst at the same time breaking down their scoring chains. On the rebound you must make quick quality decisions with ball in hand whilst exiting your defensive half which will in turn dry up their repeat forward 50 entries which is what allows them to score heavily and quickly at times.

I believe if you were to engage in a shoot out with Aber's it would be at your own peril..

Team Defence Wins Premierships..

Last edited:

Firstly I don't believe the difference between Aber's and the rest of the competition is their key backs as you only had to be there yesterday to see their back six exposed on numerous occasions on the fast break, at the moment their major advantage is definitely their team defence. When their midfield and high forwards are allowed the opportunity to get back to assist the back six they are very hard to score against hence why they can be exposed with quality decisions and fast ball movement..

Secondly I don't think you have to match them for quality forwards and quality mids as that would be a mighty task for any team against Aber's with their current playing list they have been able to assemble but you definitely have to match them for team defence, which is not an ability, simply a mindset. With the amount of possession Aber's win throughout the game it would be selfish of any team to depend on their back six to continuously defend against the likes of Reimers, Kefford, McNamara and Graham who takes advantage of their high possession game by continuously sliding forward whilst he is playing in the ruck..

If you are able to match Aber's for their team defence it will go a long way to reducing their numerous scoring opportunities whilst at the same time breaking down their scoring chains. On the rebound you must make quick quality decisions whilst exiting your defensive half which will in turn dry up their repeat forward 50 entries which is what allows them to score heavily and quickly at times.

I believe if you were to engage in a shoot out with Aber's it would be at your own peril..

I disagree with yesterday's game. Thought Abers defenders won a lot of 1 on 1's especially the first half of the 3rd quarter. When keilor were pressing hard.

Hey MM, hearing some interest from a recent ex Premier coach, who was an ex afl team mate of a previous coach of Avondale. Is a bit of interest in this job and they will have some spare $ for a few players due to a couple of departures expected.
Mail is turbo that if Eames can juggle work ( runs a business) will coach and bring Post and a couple more from Altona

I disagree with yesterday's game. Thought Abers defenders won a lot of 1 on 1's especially the first half of the 3rd quarter. When keilor were pressing hard.
I agree 'Interested Onlooker' Aber's defenders did win numerous one on ones yesterday but in my opinion I don't think it was the deciding factor..

I think you missed my point, if you make wise decisions with ball in hand going forward against Aber's their defenders can be exposed, as they were on a number of occasions yesterday, especially early in the game..

Kicking the ball to a one on one inside 50 would rarely count as a wise decision, unless you had a total dominant key forward, which definitely wasn't the case yesterday, as it would be a 50/50 situation at best on most occasions..

Last edited:
I agree 'Interested Onlooker' Aber's defenders did win numerous one on ones yesterday but in my opinion I don't think it was the deciding factor..

I think you missed my point, if you make wise decisions with ball in hand going forward against Aber's their can be exposed, as they were on a number of occasions yesterday, especially early in the game..

Kicking the ball to a one on one inside 50 would rarely count as a wise decision, unless you had a total dominant key forward, as it would be a 50/50 situation at best on most occasions..

Yeah good call I was there yesterday but I got to give it to abers defenses they always do the job who ever is playing fwd big or small lets just say the
Opposition fwds have to kick 5 or 6 goals to win the game very very hard to that against Allan or Houli very hard to beat an in saying that they don't only win one on ones they run the ball out of the back line very well
Just my
Thoughts
Go jets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly I don't believe the difference between Aber's and the rest of the competition is their key backs as you only had to be there yesterday to see their back six exposed on numerous occasions on the fast break, at the moment their major advantage is definitely their team defence. When their midfield and high forwards are afforded the opportunity to get back to assist the back six they are very hard to score against hence why they can be exposed with quality decisions and fast ball movement..

Secondly I don't think you have to match them for quality forwards and quality mids as that would be a mighty task for any local team playing against Aber's with the current playing list that they have been able to assemble but you definitely have to match them for team defence, which is not an ability but simply a mindset. With the amount of possessions Aber's win throughout the game it would be selfish of any team to depend on their back six to continuously defend against the likes of Reimers, Kefford, McNamara and Graham who takes advantage of their high possession game by continuously sliding forward whilst he is playing in the ruck..

If you are able to match Aber's for their team defence it will go a long way to reducing their numerous scoring opportunities whilst at the same time breaking down their scoring chains. On the rebound you must make quick quality decisions with ball in hand whilst exiting your defensive half which will in turn dry up their repeat forward 50 entries which is what allows them to score heavily and quickly at times.

I think we are all on the same wave, and great post by the way. I suppose everyone is beatable on there day but on the other hand Abers could just as easy be 6 goals in front at 1/4 time and it's all over...

Good conversation though..

Mail is turbo that if Eames can juggle work ( runs a business) will coach and bring Post and a couple more from Altona

Hey MM, Eames is a very good coach but as your stated he doesn't have the time, as he could get a job anywhere. Interesting if my mail is right and Patty is coach, if Eames would stay on as assistant, as his good mates with Ghazi.
A few of those Altona boys can play and Post is a gun no question. He has family at Altona so not sure if he will move but he is playing there mostly for the love of the club..
I'm sure if Patty is coach the decision won't be announced to after the seasons over out of respect for Ghazi..

Hey MM, Eames is a very good coach but as your stated he doesn't have the time, as he could get a job anywhere. Interesting if my mail is right and Patty is coach, if Eames would stay on as assistant, as his good mates with Ghazi.
A few of those Altona boys can play and Post is a gun no question. He has family at Altona so not sure if he will move but he is playing there mostly for the love of the club..
I'm sure if Patty is coach the decision won't be announced to after the seasons over out of respect for Ghazi..

so what Gerard FitzGerald coach of North Ballarat in the VFL doing next year in 2016. Both Avondale Heights and Gerard FitzGerald meet recently to discuss2016. Gerard might have asked for just a tad too much $

so what Gerard FitzGerald coach of North Ballarat in the VFL doing next year in 2016. Both Avondale Heights and Gerard FitzGerald meet recently to discuss2016. Gerard might have asked for just a tad too much $

Very interesting you should mention Fitzgerald My North, as I did hear on the weekend his looking at his options. Most likely a BFL side was what I heard.
The money is an interesting one as some VFL clubs don't spend a lot on coaches but it depends on if they are part time or full time I guess.
I would think Potter is getting more at Abers than he would get coaching Coburg these days. Mighty Mick would be getting more than most Vfl coaches hence why he probably prefers local as he could definitely coach a VFL side.

Fitzy's been linked with jobs in both the WAFL & SANFL but he would be a fantastic investment should Avondale or any other club decide to have a crack.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

any words out of Northern saints? Considering they're going back to B-grade, are they expected to lose players? Gain some old ones etc...

There will be another thing to consider for clubs going up & down between grades and that's the points system. I think if you lose a player and then try and get him back the next year he comes with extra points. Need to be mindful of that.

any words out of Northern saints? Considering they're going back to B-grade, are they expected to lose players? Gain some old ones etc...

I see that that they are looking for a coach. Actually they always advertise as most clubs do, but I do think they are looking for a fresh start for 2016, which means new players/recruits and coach.

I see that that they are looking for a coach. Actually they always advertise as most clubs do, but I do think they are looking for a fresh start for 2016, which means new players/recruits and coach.
I know I said earlier that Nat & Fort will stay but as they year has gone on I am to believe they won't be there, Keilor the front runner atm, it will be very hard for Northern to recruit, culture has changed a little this year but they still have a long way to go. I am to believe the Coach won't be there either.

I know I said earlier that Nat & Fort will stay but as they year has gone on I am to believe they won't be there, Keilor the front runner atm, it will be very hard for Northern to recruit, culture has changed a little this year but they still have a long way to go. I am to believe the Coach won't be there either.

If Keilor get Nat/Fort aswell as Galea as rumoured earlier they must be looking to have a genuine push for a Premiership next year.

Northern need some fresh faces, a new coach who can bring in new players/sponsors, and get some enjoyment and wins under their belt to build up for sustained A grade success.

If Keilor get Nat/Fort aswell as Galea as rumoured earlier they must be looking to have a genuine push for a Premiership next year.

Northern need some fresh faces, a new coach who can bring in new players/sponsors, and get some enjoyment and wins under their belt to build up for sustained A grade success.

Should chase Ghazi..

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back