Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to say this about the great man, but playing TDK as sub and Doc with no match fitness 6 months after an ACL is full crazy vossy. Electing to make your sub halfway through the second is an admission you stuffed up match selection.

TDK was the player on the ‘in’s’ that I was most worried about

Clearly. Being the only Lions fan a lot of my Melbourne contacts know means I cop it a fair bit (as I’m sure others can relate). I was peppered with messages around Hipwood tonight. I’ve defended him in the past, but he was extremely poor - injury or not.

Unfortunately for whatever reason Hipwood attracts a lot of unwarranted criticism.

I don't think he was much worse than Joe tonight

I don’t think he’s much help down back. That does the exact same thing structurally as dropping him tbh. They’re better off bringing Joyce back in, who while he has his moments, was relatively serviceable and knows the position better.
Thought Joyce was very solid in the VFL yesterday. has benefitted from playing at a higher level.

Unfortunately for whatever reason Hipwood attracts a lot of unwarranted criticism.

I don't think he was much worse than Joe tonight
I don't agree with the hate about Hippy but I definitely disagree with your take that he was anywhere near Joe's performance. Aside from his ruck work and two goals, watch the game again and see some of his gut running to intercept the Carlton handball in the middle, or his chase down in junk time that lead to a htb.

I don't agree with the hate about Hippy but I definitely disagree with your take that he was anywhere near Joe's performance. Aside from his ruck work and two goals, watch the game again and see some of his gut running to intercept the Carlton handball in the middle, or his chase down in junk time that lead to a htb.

Hippy tackled and pressured well, lead up taking 7 marks, just had poor disposal

You might also recall who gave Joe his second goal

We sat right above the Coaches box, they had Payne strapped up to come back on, he did some runs throughs to get ready but half time came and he walked off with the team - not to be seen again. At 3Qtr time he was changed and out in the huddle, strapping above the knee, maybe 1 band below the knee but nothing like a blown knee and he was walking without any limp or perceived discomfort and had no ice packs.
MCL's tend to be the least severe of all the knee ligament injuries. Feels like you've been shot on the inside of the knee when you do one, but minor strains can see you right(ish) a week later.

Clearly. Being the only Lions fan a lot of my Melbourne contacts know means I cop it a fair bit (as I’m sure others can relate). I was peppered with messages around Hipwood tonight. I’ve defended him in the past, but he was extremely poor - injury or not.

Just tell them to **** offf

Been out of the loop for a while and had to settle for the AFL app to follow the game (in France). We get to suit up for another week but the Giants will be hard to beat. GO LIONS.

At what stage did you begin to question whether the blues score was malfunctioning 40-0, 50-0, 60-0?

Voss said in his presser his options for TDK was sub or not play at all, didn’t have 100 minutes in him. Can see why they went the way they did, he made a big difference when he came on. Docherty didn’t look ready though, have no idea why they did that

You start him and then sub him out or don’t play him at all. Was a blunder using him as sub.

He is so important to our structure and offers way more than all the other options. But man he was frustrating tonight. Just brainless kicking inside 50
To the back line with Hipwood. Need another tall down there and he is only a handy forward but could be our answer down back. We cannot defend when things are going against us as we have simply lost too many defenders

Personally I don’t get why we have Hipwood so far up the ground, would prefer Joe to play that role. Eric’s never really been a good field kick
But he is also a most unreliable kick for goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been out of the loop for a while and had to settle for the AFL app to follow the game (in France). We get to suit up for another week but the Giants will be hard to beat. GO LIONS.
Tr
Tres bien

The way we've blown away 2 really good teams in the Pies and the Giants and a finals team in the Blues in the first quarters has been super impressive .I don't mind a little pushback on that in the ebb and flow of the game but the way we seem to tune out and cough up all our good work in a twinkling sometimes is terribly frustrating.

There's a feeling in the footy community that we're soft and always gettable.

Anyone got any other answers ?
I think it is quite simple. No big defenders that can win the hard ball other then Harris. Lester is too small to take a key forward. The Irishman is simply a battler at best. Think about Melbourne's Lever May combo.

I hate to say this about the great man, but playing TDK as sub and Doc with no match fitness 6 months after an ACL is full crazy vossy. Electing to make your sub halfway through the second is an admission you stuffed up match selection.

Voss doubled down on the TDK selection in his press conference - would make the same choice again to minimise his minutes.

My interpretation- Clearly still injured (what a gun) and putting him on at start means you'd never take him off. And with his injury that's a bad decision.

Maybe but that would have left them down a tall from already short side. They should have dropped one of their small forwards for another tall IMO, who needs three genuine smalls in their side??

By pure chance what they did technically worked for them because Payne went down and they brought in tdk, only problem was they were already down 60-0

Said something about Rayner launching in the air for a mark like a sl.ut.
We've already wasted too much time on Robbo.

We managed Payne exceptionally well this year after the misstep of last year and wouldn't it be our luck for him to land awkwardly in the fashion that he did.

If he's sort of not quite right for next week we face a tough decision as to whether to roll the dice with him straight away or hope Joyce can do a job and we can get to the Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back