Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Eric skip past 1:14 of this clip and jump to 2:09

Hipwood is a bit of low hanging fruit. I don't disagree that his disposal was poor, and it's not a new thing this season (sending out rocket handballs/passes in the forward line)... but I'd love for Cornes to propose the alternative we have waiting in the wings and explain how any of Fort/Smith/other tall are a better option. He still draws a defender, can still take a mark, and potential to kick a couple of goals.
The crap line about "they can't win it with Hipwood and Daniher in the line-up"... we lost the GF by 4 points and a dodgy advantage call. Tool.

Last edited:
Hipwood is a bit of low hanging fruit. I don't disagree that his disposal was poor, and it's not a new thing this season (sending out rocket handballs/passes in the forward line)... but I'd love for Cornes to propose the alternative we have waiting in the wings and explain how any of Fort/Smith/other tall are a better option. He still draws a defender, can still take a mark, and potential to kick a couple of goals.
The crap line about "they can't win it without Hipwood and Daniher in the line-up"... we lost the GF by 4 points and a dodgy advantage call. Tool.

It's not to be the slightest bit intelligent. It's just filler for ****ing idiots who are too stupid to realise

I bet the simpletons from Facebook loved it

Hello everybody....I want to say a big big thank you to you all for the kind words you posted and just caring enough to express those thoughts for me. It has been a very tough last 2 years and I'm tired and feel like I want to shut myself off from the world .. I'll bounce back though, have to, but this one is harder....

I'm finding it hard to put words together here. Just know that I feel so lucky to belong to this incredible group of Lions people..

Thank you :heart:

Will Ashcroft (Brisbane)

“Then Will Ashcroft had a real impactful game with 20 disposals and nine score involvements.

“He was the third-highest rated player on the ground.

“His ball use across the whole weekend was top five, but he didn’t get a vote.

“He was Brisbane’s number one rated player on the ground.”

Listen to Full On Footy analysis with Hoyne below:

Will Ashcroft (Brisbane)

“Then Will Ashcroft had a real impactful game with 20 disposals and nine score involvements.

“He was the third-highest rated player on the ground.

“His ball use across the whole weekend was top five, but he didn’t get a vote.

“He was Brisbane’s number one rated player on the ground.”

Listen to Full On Footy analysis with Hoyne below:

I found this really surprising. He was just behind Zorks for BOG IMO

I found this really surprising. He was just behind Zorks for BOG IMO
Will also went at 95% disposal efficiency (Lions best) his 2nd highest behind the Eagles (96%) game in 2023.
He is improving with each game since his return from an ACL.
Needs to work on some of his kicks that are very high at times.

Will also went at 95% disposal efficiency (Lions best) his 2nd highest behind the Eagles (96%) game in 2023.
He is improving with each game since his return from an ACL.
Needs to work on some of his kicks that are very high at times.

Very high proportion uncontested but his overlap run and ball use was excellent

It is also easier to get a higher % when playing teams you are well on top of.
His 2024 average is 72% which is reasonably good.
Hopefully his form carries into the Giants game.

He is the hand off- get it back (1-2) champion because he just doesn't stop running. Both ways. Always running overlap and has been available for a 1-2-3 on many occasions.

Will be a legend across the competition in a year or two.

That's my feeling too.

There are mental lapses that sometimes develop into a confidence letdown for periods of games and you just can't afford that against good teams
You're right. We're basically at the stage now where as supporters we just throw our hands in the air, laugh, maybe a little ruefully, and accept that this is our lot for at least the rest of this season, and then for however long it lasts after that.

I mean we've basically become an exaggerated caricature of ourselves, like an episode of Roadrunner. Roadrunner without the coyote in hot and desperate pursuit was no fun was it?

So as a team we're basically trolling our supporters now. I mean when poor ol Dom Fay, ever the ultimate optimist, posts this:

Screenshot_20240910_152446_Spotify.jpg

You know it's got to most of us. You basically just have to stand, applaud and say "well done guys". I've never seen a team so relentlessly committed to playing a role like this so thoroughly, and so over the top. Like, we're talking about when everything you say is gonna happen, happens almost exactly like you said it was gonna happen. I mean we were 9-5 at one stage. So from that point on we kicked 5-10.

But even then that is steps in the right direction after going 5-14, 2-6 and 4-14 in the 3 previous games. Also, despite the fact we kicked inaccurately AND lost the last two quarters, we still had a comfortable win. Which to me was somewhat surprising but also encouraging.

I just really admire those among us who have never been fazed by or lost confidence through any of this. But even if you turned to your family/mates watching the game with you on Saturday night at 60-0 and said "there's no way we're losing this one", well, yep, you've been sucked into this vortex too.

Because that should never have had to have even been THOUGHT, let alone vocalised.

Meh, we have kept them to 10 shots so far. Their comeback is being massively overblown IMO

If we hadn't lost these games in the past we wouldn't be so bothered

I mean, this is exactly it, isn't it. Of course we wouldn't be bothered. Heck, we'd probably think it was cute that Carlton kicked 5 in a row either side of half time. It's what's come before which is exactly what intensifies our emotions over what happened against Essendon and Carlton.

But something occurred to me the other day, and I wanted to stew on it a little before posting about it. For 3 years here basically, I've been questioning the fitness of our playing group as a whole. What if it's actually a whole lot simpler than that? What if, like, one player is at the root of all this, and it's just become exacerbated over time?

For basically all of 2019 and 2020 we saw our team give basically 110% every time they stepped out on the field. Sure, inexperience found them out on occasion, but you could rarely question the effort.

Then, in Round 1 of 2021, fresh with our new gun recruit in the forward line, we kicked 3 goals in 2 minutes and looked unbelievably good.

2 hours later we were 50 points down. What on earth happened?

These (seemingly) erratic in-game swings have become more pronounced over the last 3 years, almost in parallel with the improvement in our team, the raising of our "ceiling" if you like. What started out as mildly annoying but generally unnoticed last quarter putting-the-cue-in-the-rack with games already beyond doubt, has gradually given way over time to full blown panic station meltdowns, 5 of note in the last 2 seasons and 3 this year.

So I went back and thought "what major changes did we make over the 2020/21 off season?" The easy answer is Joe Daniher, but I don't think this is the case here. I think (a) Joe's effort has improved markedly the longer he's been with us and (b) generally I think he's relatively detached from the result, in that I don't think the scoreboard really influences the way he plays. He's just gonna do his thing regardless, random or otherwise.

But at the same time we also traded Stef Martin. Suddenly the Big O became our number 1 ruck. Our mild mannered accountant, plucked from the Casey Demons reserves.

Think about our best performances this year.

Against Port, Oscar gave Jordan Sweet an absolute bath. 3 goals, was everywhere, easily best on ground.

Against the Bulldogs, he takes down the All-Australian Tim English, he plays angry and at one stage he fair dinkum looked like he was about to EAT Rhylee West.

Even earlier in the season against Melbourne, he was fantastic against Max Gawn, until he got a bit tired late in the game.

Read that again. He got a bit tired late in the game. That game we led by 49 points 10 minutes into the last quarter. We won by 22.

The very next week, we were going pretty well really against Geelong until Oscar got knocked out in the 2nd quarter. Then he missed our visit to Canberra: easily our worst performance of the season.

Against the Giants a few weeks ago, we were all licking our lips at the absolute bath Oscar was gonna give Lachie Keefe. That bath lasted a quarter. So too did our best football.

Collingwood double teamed Oscar, and he became less and less effective the longer the game went.

And then on the weekend, maybe the game turned on Jack Payne going off. But Tom de Koning was subbed into the game at about the same time. All of a sudden Oscar was being double teamed again.

It sounds crazy to say, but is it possible our mid-game fade-outs actually hinge on Oscar? Like, way more than we would have thought? He's obviously a numbers guy... Does he sometimes look at the scoreboard a bit much and get a bit too comfortable with where things are at? Do we need to get him souped up to the gills on angry pills on Saturday night? Does our mild-mannered accountant need to be pushed to, or even over, the edge, to get the best out of him and the team? Does he need the likes of Lachie and Dunks and Hugh, at every centre bounce, demonstrably poking or pushing him in the chest, demanding that he puts his knee fair into Keiran Briggs' sternum?

Do we also need Joe to spend, say, 3-5 minutes more each quarter in ruck, just to give him a chop out and keep him fresher for the final stages?

And this is not just about hit outs by the way. This is everything. Ground level follow up, getting to contests around the ground, preventing his opposite number from taking those bail out contested marks when our defensive setup has given them no other option. Even better, winning those battles and taking intercept marks. Getting dangerous in the forward line if given half a chance.

None of this explains Hipwood's, how do we say, adventurous kicks into the corridor late in the second quarter which resulted in bad turnovers and Carlton's first goals. It doesn't explain Noah dropping a sitter, Logan's miss from 12 metres or Zac somehow missing his boot altogether.

But at every centre bounce, our ruckman sets the tone for everything that follows. This is arguably leadership in its truest form. And as Crackers Keating showed 20+ years ago, there's no better time than September to see a little less Clark Kent and a lot more Superman, from our number one ruck.

You're right. We're basically at the stage now where as supporters we just throw our hands in the air, laugh, maybe a little ruefully, and accept that this is our lot for at least the rest of this season, and then for however long it lasts after that.

I mean we've basically become an exaggerated caricature of ourselves, like an episode of Roadrunner. Roadrunner without the coyote in hot and desperate pursuit was no fun was it?

So as a team we're basically trolling our supporters now. I mean when poor ol Dom Fay, ever the ultimate optimist, posts this:

View attachment 2107604

You know it's got to most of us. You basically just have to stand, applaud and say "well done guys". I've never seen a team so relentlessly committed to playing a role like this so thoroughly, and so over the top. Like, we're talking about when everything you say is gonna happen, happens almost exactly like you said it was gonna happen. I mean we were 9-5 at one stage. So from that point on we kicked 5-10.

But even then that is steps in the right direction after going 5-14, 2-6 and 4-14 in the 3 previous games. Also, despite the fact we kicked inaccurately AND lost the last two quarters, we still had a comfortable win. Which to me was somewhat surprising but also encouraging.

I just really admire those among us who have never been fazed by or lost confidence through any of this. But even if you turned to your family/mates watching the game with you on Saturday night at 60-0 and said "there's no way we're losing this one", well, yep, you've been sucked into this vortex too.

Because that should never have had to have even been THOUGHT, let alone vocalised.

I mean, this is exactly it, isn't it. Of course we wouldn't be bothered. Heck, we'd probably think it was cute that Carlton kicked 5 in a row either side of half time. It's what's come before which is exactly what intensifies our emotions over what happened against Essendon and Carlton.

But something occurred to me the other day, and I wanted to stew on it a little before posting about it. For 3 years here basically, I've been questioning the fitness of our playing group as a whole. What if it's actually a whole lot simpler than that? What if, like, one player is at the root of all this, and it's just become exacerbated over time?

For basically all of 2019 and 2020 we saw our team give basically 110% every time they stepped out on the field. Sure, inexperience found them out on occasion, but you could rarely question the effort.

Then, in Round 1 of 2021, fresh with our new gun recruit in the forward line, we kicked 3 goals in 2 minutes and looked unbelievably good.

These (seemingly) erratic in-game swings have become more pronounced over the last 3 years, almost in parallel with the improvement in our team, the raising of our "ceiling" if you like. What started out as mildly annoying but generally unnoticed last quarter putting-the-cue-in-the-rack with games already beyond doubt, has gradually given way over time to full blown panic station meltdowns, 5 of note in the last 2 seasons and 3 this year.

So I went back and thought "what major changes did we make over the 2020/21 off season?" The easy answer is Joe Daniher, but I don't think this is the case here. I think (a) Joe's effort has improved markedly the longer he's been with us and (b) generally I think he's relatively detached from the result, in that I don't think the scoreboard really influences the way he plays. He's just gonna do his thing regardless, random or otherwise.

But at the same time we also traded Stef Martin. Suddenly the Big O became our number 1 ruck. Our mild mannered accountant, plucked from the Casey Demons reserves.

Against Port, Oscar gave Jordan Sweet an absolute bath. 3 goals, was everywhere, easily best on ground.

Against the Bulldogs, he takes down the All-Australian Tim English, he plays angry and at one stage he fair dinkum looked like he was about to EAT Rhylee West.

Even earlier in the season against Melbourne, he was fantastic against Max Gawn, until he got a bit tired late in the game.

Read that again. He got a bit tired late in the game. That game we led by 49 points 10 minutes into the last quarter. We won by 22.

The very next week, we were going pretty well really against Geelong until Oscar got knocked out in the 2nd quarter. Then he missed our visit to Canberra: easily our worst performance of the season.

Against the Giants a few weeks ago, we were all licking our lips at the absolute bath Oscar was gonna give Lachie Keefe. That bath lasted a quarter. So too did our best football.

Collingwood double teamed Oscar, and he became less and less effective the longer the game went.

And then on the weekend, maybe the game turned on Jack Payne going off. But Tom de Koning was subbed into the game at about the same time. All of a sudden Oscar was being double teamed again.

It sounds crazy to say, but is it possible our mid-game fade-outs actually hinge on Oscar? Like, way more than we would have thought? He's obviously a numbers guy... Does he sometimes look at the scoreboard a bit much and get a bit too comfortable with where things are at? Do we need to get him souped up to the gills on angry pills on Saturday night? Does our mild-mannered accountant need to be pushed to, or even over, the edge, to get the best out of him and the team? Does he need the likes of Lachie and Dunks and Hugh, at every centre bounce, demonstrably poking or pushing him in the chest, demanding that he puts his knee fair into Keiran Briggs' sternum?

Do we also need Joe to spend, say, 3-5 minutes more each quarter in ruck, just to give him a chop out and keep him fresher for the final stages?

And this is not just about hit outs by the way. This is everything. Ground level follow up, getting to contests around the ground, preventing his opposite number from taking those bail out contested marks when our defensive setup has given them no other option. Even better, winning those battles and taking intercept marks. Getting dangerous in the forward line if given half a chance.

None of this explains Hipwood's, how do we say, adventurous kicks into the corridor late in the second quarter which resulted in bad turnovers and Carlton's first goals. It doesn't explain Noah dropping a sitter, Logan's miss from 12 metres or Zac somehow missing his boot altogether.

But at every centre bounce, our ruckman sets the tone for everything that follows. This is arguably leadership in its truest form. And as Crackers Keating showed 20+ years ago, there's no better time than September to see a little less Clark Kent and a lot more Superman, from our number one ruck.

Great analysis. My memory from Saturday was Oscar was pivotal in the first quarter is setting up the avalanche. At critical moments he took a mark, or spoiled contest, or won a ruck contest that resulted in us scoring. I had him in my best list.

So I'm totally supportive of your theory. But a lot of experts (arm chair and otherwise) don't rate the ruck as a critical role in today's game. 🙄

Now you just need to find a way to let Oscar know he is the key, so he can go a goofy all right, have a good giggle then walk out and flatten the opposition.

But a lot of experts (arm chair and otherwise) don't rate the ruck as a critical role in today's game. 🙄
I've been exactly like that! And maybe for the way the game is moving in a broad sense, maybe that is the case.

But for our team, it feels like our reliance on Oscar performing well is much more pronounced, maybe excessively?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2107604

Agree with you on Oscar. Definitely mentioned this during games.

He's always performed better as the underdog and struggled to dominate weaker opponents.

Who knows could be a application/mental fatigue issue or a physical fatigue issue

I've been exactly like that! And maybe for the way the game is moving in a broad sense, maybe that is the case.

But for our team, it feels like our reliance on Oscar performing well is much more pronounced, maybe excessively?

The other way to look at it is that at out best we are probably the best in competition.

Our best though needs every single player to be on, and that includes Oscar. And because he is ruck he is the first link in the chain so his performance stands out.

The other way to look at it is that at out best we are probably the best in competition.

Our best though needs every single player to be on, and that includes Oscar. And because he is ruck he is the first link in the chain so his performance stands out.
I think our best is still the best in the comp, and have believed as much since opening round. I've been so impressed with our defensive setup for much of the season, and in recent weeks it's given a more than adequate platform for our forwards to fill their boots and then some. We just need to be able to cash in for longer periods in games.

Agree with you on Oscar. Definitely mentioned this during games.

He's always performed better as the underdog and struggled to dominate weaker opponents.

Who knows could be a application/mental fatigue issue or a physical fatigue issue
Yeah I think against the likes of Gawn, Collingwood game etc, probably a fatigue issue. Against Keefe and the Giants, probably more mental. Hard to say it's physical when it's happening in the 2nd quarter.

Yeah I think against the likes of Gawn, Collingwood game etc, probably a fatigue issue. Against Keefe and the Giants, probably more mental. Hard to say it's physical when it's happening in the 2nd quarter.

Not a hard and fast rule. He belted the living daylights out of Sweet when we smashed Port but he has let us down at times as well and it seems like we struggle to win clearances when he's not performing or when his opponent can follow up at ground level

Was really hoping the sub would be scrapped this year and the bench extended to 5 so we could play a 2nd ruck

Was really hoping the sub would be scrapped this year and the bench extended to 5 so we could play a 2nd ruck
I think we'll see teams start out playing 2 rucks but then realise more and more they are better off with an extra runner as the 5th player. That's my hunch.

The trouble with that is most teams 8th or 9th mid is a long drop from even a fatigued first string mid
No argument with that. But I think more and more we're seeing, particularly looking at Hawthorn and Geelong, success in an era of draft/salary cap equalisation is more about foot soldiers able to carry out their part of whatever overall strategy is put in place, over raw talent per se.

No argument with that. But I think more and more we're seeing, particularly looking at Hawthorn and Geelong, success in an era of draft/salary cap equalisation is more about foot soldiers able to carry out their part of whatever overall strategy is put in place, over raw talent per se.
Quick smalls seem to be the dominant force in finals, the Giants have a great troop of them, here's hoping Charlie, Kai and Zac fire up for us Saturday night.

I like that Oscar got back to help out in defense v Blues even though we had the game under control early on.
No disposals in defense against GWS. I think he will have to change that a bit

View attachment 2107763

View attachment 2107757
I seem to recall against GWS we got a centre bounce free kick, he bolted forward, took a towering contested mark and kicked a goal. That was the game right? First quarter? I guess he was given instructions to get dangerous.

I don't mind whether the tactic is for him to get forward or get back. Whatever it is I just want to see him be able to see it through for 4 quarters or as close to as possible.

Do you have any breakdown there quarter by quarter?

I feel like against GWS he got confused by Keefe taking an unorthodox approach to the ruck contests for a bunch of times and Oscar looked like he didnt know how to adjust. Once he was out of his comfort zone against a smaller body he looks like he hasnt been coached as well on what to do (confusion on whether to jump or body or grab the ball). That just flows on to the rest of the team as described above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back