Unofficial Preview Elimination Final Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will assume Hippy plays but if not, what are the options.
Not many.

Smith has now got 4 games under his belt, 2 full games & 2 subbed off games. Three wins and 1 loss.

Joyce plays defense and Payne forward.
I think the first & last time Payne played forward was in a final he got concussed early in the 1st quarter.
So maybe reverse that, and Joyce forward.

Fort gets a go after his excellent VFL game last week.

I doubt they debut anyone in an EF.

Not many.

Smith has now got 4 games under his belt, 2 full games & 2 subbed off games. Three wins and 1 loss.

I think the first & last time Payne played forward was in a final he got concussed early in the 1st quarter.

Or do we just go smaller and bring Reville in to play predominantly forward McKenna stays back and Sharps retains his Sub spot.
Or do we go a Wildcard in Will McLachlan?
But more than likely Henry Smith.

I much prefer our Structure when Joe spends some time in the Ruck so bringing in Henry does mean we shuffle the decks there a bit.
But I do think Hippy will play as will Charlie Curnow.

Not many.

Question on Hippy is if he’s going to get worse if he plays, or better if he has another week off. Can we cover for him better this week with the hope he improves… because this is going to be our least challenging finals match - but probably the game we least want to lose (unless we do get through to the GF again!).

Not many.

He'll play, but if we get through and he can't get up for next week, I think I'd revert to Payne playing that role like they tried a few years ago. Henry didn't really impress during his time, albeit he showed a few glimpses in that Saints game.

Think Payne has better athleticism to at least try and get up and down the ground to compete, which Eric is underrated for imo.

Put a fork in the season if anything ever happened to Joe though.

Question on Hippy is if he’s going to get worse if he plays, or better if he has another week off. Can we cover for him better this week with the hope he improves… because this is going to be our least challenging finals match - but probably the game we least want to lose (unless we do get through to the GF again!).
I think if he was going to get any better having an extra week, we would've just kept him out of the Pies/Bombers game and given him a good 4-5 weeks (with the pre finals bye) to get right. I assume the club not doing that means it won't get any better or worse if he plays now. It was particularly noticeable in that Pies game that he had lost a lot of power and mobility though, but as others have said, Eric at 70% I think is still probably better than most of the alternatives unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hippy jumping for a ball in the last photo here.
I am sure it’s all just precautionary to keep him fresh for the game.
And the running may also just be for a bit of fitness coming back from injury in the final weeks of the season.

Or do we just go smaller and bring Reville in to play predominantly forward McKenna stays back and Sharps retains his Sub spot.

I much prefer our Structure when Joe spends some time in the Ruck so bringing in Henry does mean we shuffle the decks there a bit.
Going small makes it nearly impossible for Morris when Jo goes into the ruck.
If Hippy plays, he at least gets a decent defender.
Maybe Hippy does not roam up the ground as much as usual & keep mostly in that forward 50 area.

Looks like Hippy will be named according to Whiting in the above Perrip post.

That's what I would do, not a fan of Henry Smith in the side, too slow and is nowhere near a good enough key forward(yet).

IMO he would get caught out big time in a final, if we are looking for a tall forward would rather Luke Lloyd debut or even Darcy Fort... I am bullish on Henry long term as our number 1 ruck who rests forward though.

If you wanted to go REALLY left field if Hippy is out...you could go Payne and Joyce back and Andrews forward, not like he's that good anyway down there, not even in the AA team. Yes it still stings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs to make shock call-up; sore Blues racing clock as ‘unlucky’ Lion faces axe - AFL Finals Teams
As for the Lions, Herald Sun reporter Jay Clark revealed Darragh Joyce is expected the “unlucky” omission for the returning Jack Payne, also suggesting Brandon Starcevich would come in for Noah Answerth.

Would mean McKenna most likely stays in the team ahead of Answerth.

As much as he is a bit out of sorts defensively I think we need Kenny in, gives us some more drive out of the backline for when they inevitably sit someone on Zorko. Answerth and Starc don't really offer that and we can't really play them both
I don’t mind and as long as he is fitter and can run defensively.

Not many.

Wilmot debuted in an EF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back