Traded Elliot Yeo (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC, aren't his draft camp results for agility and/or speed off the first 5/10m still in the top 5 since those skill have been tested?

No wonder if that is the case.
Some guys test quick but don't play quick. Yeo doesn't fall into that category.

And his speed is both explosive as well as having a high cruise speed when he's getting around the ground.

Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about, but there was a passage of play in the last quarter where he received a poor handball and was able to side step away from his opponent in a pretty contained space. Commentators mentioned how good the side step was too. It just oozed class and I'm really starting too see how good a player he could become.

His intercept marking is very effective because he combines his pace with a very good leap. Quite often he will almost even be behind his player when he leaves the ground but his high speed allows him to hit the front when the ball does while his leap ensures that even though he's in front of the ball drop zone a bit he can easily reach it as he's also higher than his opponent.

Really like what he brings to the team

Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about, but there was a passage of play in the last quarter where he received a poor handball and was able to side step away from his opponent in a pretty contained space. Commentators mentioned how good the side step was too. It just oozed class and I'm really starting too see how good a player he could become.

His lateral movement really is a weapon.

Still has a bit to work on, but his ceiling is a lot higher than I initially credited him.

He has serious potential. That passage of play where he ran out of defence today and I think set up a goal was electric. Reminds me of a young Brennan in the way he seems to be playing the game on his own terms at times. Hope he develops a little more consistency than Brennan ever has, though.

Could legitimately be one of the most important players in the side in three or four years.

Could legitimately be one of the most important players in the side in three or four years.

Have a feeling it could well be by the end of next year. Another preseason and a little polish on his disposal and you've got a lot of player right there.

Chris Johnson was probably the genuine backman we had that could play tight, but had natural attacking flair when there was a gap to punch though.

Found himself on McGuane at times. Not sure if he was his direct opponent (seems an odd match up) or he was just covering for one of the talls, but he struggled defensively against the extra height. That's forgivable, but playing taller may not be one of his strengths.

The Tigers seemed to be rotating their taller players on Yeo in the 50, he was one out on Vickery a few times as well. I think some of the defenders were a bit too Riewoldt conscious at times and would double team him only for Yeo to be stuck with a taller player.

I'd really like to see him moved further up the ground at times, running of a wing or half forward. With the way he takes the game on, he would create quite a few scoring opportunities for himself.

I was doing a bit of digging through our draft and trading history and found that the Lions drafting Yeo was a by product of the merger.

1996- Nick Carter was pre-listed by the Brisbane Lions as a former Fitzroy player.
1998- Carter was traded to Melbourne for pick 45 which was used on Aaron Shattock.
2004- Shattock along with pick 34 were traded to Port Adelaide for Pick 27 (Pat Garner) and Pick 45 (Justin Sherman).
2010- Sherman was traded to the Western Bulldogs for a third-band compensation pick.
2011- Compensation pick was activated (and became pick 30) which was used on Yeo.

Hopefully he remains a good long-term player for us (unlike the other players listed above :p).

I was doing a bit of digging through our draft and trading history and found that the Lions drafting Yeo was a by product of the merger.

1996- Nick Carter was pre-listed by the Brisbane Lions as a former Fitzroy player.
1998- Carter was traded to Melbourne for pick 45 which was used on Aaron Shattock.
2004- Shattock along with pick 34 were traded to Port Adelaide for Pick 27 (Pat Garner) and Pick 45 (Justin Sherman).
2010- Sherman was traded to the Western Bulldogs for a third-band compensation pick.
2011- Compensation pick was activated (and became pick 30) which was used on Yeo.

Hopefully he remains a good long-term player for us (unlike the other players listed above :p).

Nice spot!

Sorry to go off-topic but the pick 1 we used on Des Headland is equally interesting. Just keeps spinning players through the club.

1998 - Drafted Headland
2002 - Headland traded for picks which netted us Jared Brennan and Troy Selwood
2010 - Brennan (and picks) sent to Gold Coast for picks which netted us Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Ryan Lester and Rohan Bewick

With Karnezis likely to be traded, and potentially Polec also... the Headland pick is going to keep rippling away for quite a while I reckon... 7 players to the club and counting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice spot!

Sorry to go off-topic but the pick 1 we used on Des Headland is equally interesting. Just keeps spinning players through the club.

1998 - Drafted Headland
2010 - Brennan (and picks) sent to Gold Coast for picks which netted us Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Ryan Lester and Rohan Bewick

With Karnezis likely to be traded, and potentially Polec also... the Headland pick is going to keep rippling away for quite a while I reckon... 7 players to the club and counting.

Cheers! Sent it to the media department of the club as they seem to like little tidbits from time to time.

Headland going home may be one of the best things to happen to our club :p.

Nice spot!

1998 - Drafted Headland

Would be absolutely amazing if we drafted our next captain with the pick(s) we get for either Karnezis or Polec, should they walk.

First there was Shane Warne/Darryl Cullinan, now there is Elliot Yeo/Steve Motlop. OK, it's early days, but it is looking like Yeo might have his own bunny. This match up alone has been a big factor in why we have played well against Geelong this year.

First there was Shane Warne/Darryl Cullinan, now there is Elliot Yeo/Steve Motlop. OK, it's early days, but it is looking like Yeo might have his own bunny. This match up alone has been a big factor in why we have played well against Geelong this year.
Yeah, it was great to see Yeo dominate him after the commentators were pumping Motlop up all day.

Hopefully Yeo can improve his delivery over the offseason. I am impressed with his defensive game. His run is a massive asset. He's not a shank merchant, but if he can flatten his kicks a bit, and pinpoint his passes into the forward 50 he could go from an exciting player to an awesome one.

I hear he is EXTREMELY homesick...currently back in WA visiting his family & friends. We seriously need to throw all we can to sign this guy up he's a 200+ gamer for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Elliot Yeo (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back