Emmanuel Macron, President of the French Republic

Remove this Banner Ad

yes it is if they can get the same income without working.

I guess I don't see work as a negative.

Being a part of the community and contributing is way more fulfilling than be cast out and left to rot and die.

I guess I don't see work as a negative.

Being a part of the community and contributing is way more fulfilling than be cast out and left to rot and die.
Agree about the point regarding communities but there are better ways to be part of a community then through forced work that is not on your terms. plus not all jobs have a community. Ive been in factory jobs where i wouldnt talk to anyone all day. Night time security guards and workers who spend all day on spreadsheets at home hardly have a community.

volunteers at a charity centre, participants in sport team and art groups all have far far more community then many workplaces.

Agree about the point regarding communities but there are better ways to be part of a community then through forced work that is not on your terms. plus not all jobs have a community. Ive been in factory jobs where i wouldnt talk to anyone all day. Night time security guards and workers who spend all day on spreadsheets at home hardly have a community.

volunteers at a charity centre, participants in sport team and art groups all have far far more community then many workplaces.

my advice in that situation is quit and get another job

if that isn't an option, then the community has to ask themselves what they are doing to prohibit job creation. Perhaps there is a cost to crazy employment laws and that is "unhappiness" and being "trapped"

I don't understand, why does he think a big loss means it's a good time to call an election?
Trying to stop the right wing from organising a decent election campaign I would imagine. The nationals have had good results before in EU elections but have struggled to get any significant power when it comes to the crunch.
He's probably banking on the fact that he thinks this is more of a protest vote and he will get more support in a 'proper' election. Big risk but he probably feels that it's his best chance.

I think he’s gambling that cohabitating with Le Pen for three years and her having to run on a record will take the wind out of National Rally’s sails. Not sure I like the gamble but I suppose I have to hope it works.

I don't understand, why does he think a big loss means it's a good time to call an election?
Catch LePen unready and/or thinking the ways things are headed, waiting for an election will make it even tougher to win.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve seen a few polls indicating this, that Macron’s Ensemble party is polling third behind the far right and the allied left.

This might put him in a kingmaker position for the parliament, where I think he’d almost certainly prop up Le Pen rather than the left.

I’ve seen a few polls indicating this, that Macron’s Ensemble party is polling third behind the far right and the allied left.

This might put him in a kingmaker position for the parliament, where I think he’d almost certainly prop up Le Pen rather than the left.

I think you'll find that he despises Le Pen and will do nothing of the sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Destroyed his majority, put the far right in the box seat to govern, and reunified and resurrected the left, which is now the biggest bloc that isn't National Rally.

Due to high turnout, a lot of the run-offs are going to be between three candidates rather than two. Mélenchon has pledged that any New Popular Front candidate who came third in a district where National Rally came first will withdraw. It's unclear whether Macron will follow suit - his surrogates have either said likewise or lumped NFP in with RN, and Macron's written statement just said it would apply to candidates who are "clearly republican and democratic". Given he's previously said the left are as bad as the far right, I'm not full of hope.

Massive error of judgement by Macron to call the snap election:
Haven't followed the results to closely but the ulitmate test of Macron's commitment to beating the far right will be whether he pulls his candidates that came in third (but got through to the runoff). If he does that they should be ok as most of his party will flow to the left leaning candidates, and vice versa if the left parties pull their third place candidates.

Destroyed his majority, put the far right in the box seat to govern, and reunified and resurrected the left, which is now the biggest bloc that isn't National Rally.

Due to high turnout, a lot of the run-offs are going to be between three candidates rather than two. Mélenchon has pledged that any New Popular Front candidate who came third in a district where National Rally came first will withdraw. It's unclear whether Macron will follow suit - his surrogates have either said likewise or lumped NFP in with RN, and Macron's written statement just said it would apply to candidates who are "clearly republican and democratic". Given he's previously said the left are as bad as the far right, I'm not full of hope.
Beat me to it.

Can someone explain to me why the riots in France from the losers of the election are in any way different to the Jan 6 riots in the US?

Surely Macron should be held accountable because he has not stopped them.

Thanks.

Is macrons goal to give the far right power, but not the presidency, and then people will think the far right are crap after they stuff it up and vote for macron again come the next president election which is still many years away?
Well I'm obviously guessing but I think Macron calculated that the RN's big showing in the European Parliament election was just a protest vote, and that when it came to an election to decide who runs France then the people wouldn't be crazy enough to vote for a far-right party. So by calling a snap election he would stop the RN's momentum in its tracks. Turns out however that a lot of French people feel no shame in voting for a far-right party.

Also, Macron won't be able to run for President on the next presidential election. French Presidents can't serve more than 2 consecutive terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Emmanuel Macron, President of the French Republic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back