Test England vs West Indies - 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

This innings has looked so much better from the Windies. It's not going to happen this game unless there's some insane weather or Hodge can keep going with some long term partners, but would love to see them send it on the third match.

Nice fight by the Windies, I know England have changed there game which pretty much relies on flat tracks but I always liked Tests in England because of it being tough on batsmen and the ball swinging a mile.

Nice fight by the Windies, I know England have changed there game which pretty much relies on flat tracks but I always liked Tests in England because of it being tough on batsmen and the ball swinging a mile.

The ball for 20+ overs did swing a mile: they changed the ball 3 times and the third time they got one that Woakes and Stokes in particular, and wood to an extent, got to move all over the place. Wood beat the bat 20+ times (literally: they kept a running tally). Brathwaite initially and then Athanaze and Hodge batted proactively and very intelligently. Holder had to really fight and was lucky at times. Da Silva was into attack mode straight away.

I haven’t popped my head up to post with more than 4-5 exceptions on this entire forum for about 3 months but wanted to after last night. England’s gameplan by the way doesn’t rely on flat wickets. Of course they help - any time you bat ultra aggressively, benign conditions will help.

They don’t have batsmen good enough aside from Root and Brook to bat ‘normally’ anywhere. Maybe Stokes when he applies himself. Their attitude beyond the whole ‘make cricket entertaining again’ is basically ‘get them before they get you’ and they know that when conditions are tough their best chance is not to fool around trying to tough it out - I mean really, do you think Zac Crawley could make a gritty hundred off 200 balls on a seamer? I don’t. But he could crush 70 off 90 and help take the momentum from the other team, give England 300 on a tricky deck and help set up their relatively average attack up to win a game on a tricky deck.

Post Anderson and Broad, really if anything they NEED pitches with something in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good fifty from Da Silva, he is good enough to bat in the top order or at least ahead of Holder.

Yes the guy with a test double century and a couple of others should be behind the guy without one and a solitary ton and a grand total of 5 50s in 25 tests. Plugger do you actually watch Test cricket. More to the point, when the West Indies aren’t served to you on a platter where you have them in prime time against NZ or Aus or England, do you watch them at all?

I will grant you, Holder’s batting in his last 15-20 tests has dropped off. His average has dropped from about 34 to a touch under 30. However anyone who has actually watched him knows that when he’s entrenched and playing with any consistency he’s got probably the best technique in that entire team. He is also by some distance probably their most natural player of spin.

Yes the guy with a test double century and a couple of others should be behind the guy without one and a solitary ton and a grand total of 5 50s in 25 tests. Plugger do you actually watch Test cricket. More to the point, when the West Indies aren’t served to you on a platter where you have them in prime time against NZ or Aus or England, do you watch them at all?

I will grant you, Holder’s batting in his last 15-20 tests has dropped off. His average has dropped from about 34 to a touch under 30. However anyone who has actually watched him knows that when he’s entrenched and playing with any consistency he’s got probably the best technique in that entire team. He is also by some distance probably their most natural player of spin.

I've watched enough test cricket to know that Holder's batting has dropped off a cliff and Da Silva looks the better batsman now.

I will admit I only watch the West Indies when they play NZ or Aus or England as they are shown on Kayo at a suitable time.

I don't stay up all night trying to watch a dodgy stream when the West Indies are playing a home test series against Sri Lanka.

Seales starts the 2nd over of the 3rd innings same as the 2nd over of the 1st innings - ordinary half volley that goes for four. Settled in with better follow up in couple of balls following at least but still an issue if your opening bowler can’t hit the mark straight away

Remove this Banner Ad

Test England vs West Indies - 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back