AFL Autopsy Ess 12.9.81 def by NM 14.9.93

Remove this Banner Ad

well of course there was. unless it's a blindingly obvious free-kick, immediate reactions to free-kicks are based on whether they are given to you or against you. but it doesn't really mean anything

There's some sort of hipster cred for saying "it wasn't the umps" in every review thread. Whether it's true or not.

[QUOTE="Bombermania, post: 34953213, member: 53549"]I will sum Stants night up with one piece of play, he was in a race for the ball against one North player but instead of charging the ball he appeared to slow and try and bump the North player when if he had just attacked the ball he may well have had an open goal.

I would have shifted Stants down back in the second half just too add a bit of experience.

All up I suspect the emotion here is more frustration than anything else.
and right there is your problem - you have absolutely no concept of what he does and brings to the team, and what the coaches want him to do for the whole game.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying the coaches want him to butcher the ball when going forward and play from behind his opponent when playing as a forward?

If so you've changed my mind, bomber needs to go

Or that some on here believe he is. Too many put too much value in Premierships won..

For example Cam Mooney has three premierships.. does that make him equal with Voss or better than Buckley? No it doesn't..

Also right now if you could pick a 20 year old Cam Mooney or a 20 year old Heppell.. you would go with Heppell.. even though he hasn't won any premierships because he is a better player.

That is NOT to discount Bombers achievements at all.. he is a great coach.. but there is no way you can say that he is the better coach for this team moving forward.

perhaps if Hird was in the box tonight.. we would have won. Simple as that.
That analogy doesn't come close to being valid to be honest, Mooney is a player in a team and he isn't better or worse than a player with more or less premierships on that basis, the number of premierships a coach has is a way better gauge as they are the person who instructs the team and everything.

Horrible analogy.

Any bomber fan that isn't gutted right now.. needs to address why not.

You get 33 points up in an EF half way through the 3 quarter and then lose the game.. it means something has gone seriously wrong.

It wouldn't be such a surprise except that it has happened repeatedly all season...

There's some sort of hipster cred for saying "it wasn't the umps" in every review thread. Whether it's true or not.

There was Thomas' blatant dive free kick but outside of that I though they were good.

There was Thomas' blatant dive free kick but outside of that I though they were good.
There was also the HTB non decision that went our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get 33 points up in an EF half way through the 3 quarter and then lose the game.. it means something has gone seriously wrong.

It wouldn't be such a surprise except that it has happened repeatedly all season...

I'm not gutted. We've been poor for a decade and there's nothing that really shows we are changing

I'm not gutted because I've watched this movie many times before. Why would you when you know the ending?

That analogy doesn't come close to being valid to be honest, Mooney is a player in a team and he isn't better or worse than a player with more or less premierships on that basis, the number of premierships a coach has is a way better gauge as they are the person who instructs the team and everything.

Horrible analogy.
Fine. But whenever I point out that Hird has a better winning % in his first seasons than Bomber did.. or that Hird won more games last year than Bomber did this year.. I get told that it is irrelevant because 'one is a two time premiership coach and the other isn't'.. so I was just pre-empting their BS argument.

Sheer madness meant that Hird was kept out of the box last week and this week.. maybe he could have been the person with enough balls to point out to Thompson that Brown was singlehandedly tearing us apart and a move needed to be made...

i can tell you what went wrong btw

a lot of turn overs

the end

Theres no point singling out players, we lost as a team. most of the team is midfielders, who from what i saw in the 3rd quarter we totally missing and allowed Norths mids to run riot doing whatever they wanted, you cant allow any team 5-6 uncontested possesions in a row, that ALWAYS leads to multiple goals.

well of course there was. unless it's a blindingly obvious free-kick, immediate reactions to free-kicks are based on whether they are given to you or against you. but it doesn't really mean anything
No, after the game.

We can expect better for several reasons:
1. We did better last year (more wins, better %)

Last years team was better than this year's.

2. Gleeson, Ashby, Daniher, Z Merrett, J Merrett, Fantasia will all be better for their experience this year

Save for Joe and Z. Merrett jury still out on the others. (Maybe harsh on Gleeson but did himself no favours tonight.)

3. The only players we may possibly lose in the off-season are Winders and maybe Ryder.

Losing players has never been a major problem. Our players don't generally develop to A grade standard.

4. Tbell will hopefully have a better pre-season and get back to his best.

Best has never been that great. Good but not great.

5. We are unlikely to lose our captain for half the season again next year.

But could lose another equally important player.

6. BJ and Chappy look like they can give one more year, same with Winders

BJ looked shot tonight, Winders as well.

7. Hird is a better coach (like seriously.. yes he is)

As mentioned, some merit.

8. Myers, Zaka and Heppell all look set to explode into true A-graders

Hepell without doubt already A grader. Zaka and Myers a mile away.

9. Hurley will return to the forward line.. and/or play a floating role with Carlisle

Hurley a so-so forward (save for a pinch hit here or there), clearly a better back.

10. Carlise will get back to form playing in the backline and go back to being near AA or maybe even AA

A massive unknown how Jake plays next year or what position. Hird's coaching may depend on it.

11. One way or the other.. we will be finished with the ASADA stuff

If it finishes the wrong way, we are definitely worse off.

12. The media scrutiny has to be less at some point..

No it won't. Not when we have 50k members.

So next year is going to be special imho.

Hopefully. I'm not so sure.

and right there is your problem - you have absolutely no concept of what he does and brings to the team, and what the coaches want him to do for the whole game.

Firstly I have been a fan of Stants and have defended him here dozens of times, I am fully aware of his work-rate and what he does and that he is following team rules but tonight I was disappointed.

My disappointment with Stants tonight is that I actually rate him as a footballer and was hoping for a big night out for him.

That one piece of play highlights what appeared to be wrong with Stants tonight.

Last edited:
Fine. But whenever I point out that Hird has a better winning % in his first seasons than Bomber did.. or that Hird won more games last year than Bomber did this year.. I get told that it is irrelevant because 'one is a two time premiership coach and the other isn't'.. so I was just pre-empting their BS argument.

Sheer madness meant that Hird was kept out of the box last week and this week.. maybe he could have been the person with enough balls to point out to Thompson that Brown was singlehandedly tearing us apart and a move needed to be made...
Yeah, maybe. Unfortunately now it's just a bunch of what ifs. not sure who you pin the loss down on but its safe to say not many of the boys willbe resting easy tonight.

FWIW.. in case I wasn't clear in my anger.. I am not 'blaming' Steinberg.. he is a 3rd game player..

I am blaming the coaches for selecting him, and then blaming the coaches for allowing him to remain on a guy that had him done cold 3 times in 6 minutes for too long.

These are coaching errors.. and also Steinberg wasn't up to finals footy with his shocking disposal and lack of composure, which should have meant he wasn't selected.

I normally like your comments, but I'm sure you were personally having a go at him in the gameday thread, not the use of him.

Need a mini midfield rebuild. Howlett backup, stanton gone.

If Ryder goes we must get a mid in return.

A great mid is desperately needed if we have to lose Ryder. Would rather keep him though.

Unfortunately we blew it at selection with Gleeson starting and Dempsey on the pine and when in a winning position didn't react quick enough in the box either.
Anyway big effort again from the boys this year under massive pressure.

Strange move by Bomber. Looks good if it comes off but stupid if it doesn't. Sometimes conventional coaching is more valuable.

God! I just had to hop on here and say reputations are forged in finals and Daniher increased his 100 fold tonight. A few more pre seasons and i can see him matching it with the best forwards.

He looks good but very worried about his kicking. Doesn't seem to be an action problem rather than a mental thing, which is probably harder to fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Ess 12.9.81 def by NM 14.9.93

Remove this Banner Ad

Back