Essendon fans and commentators whinge about Jobe being booed yet....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until the AFL are advised otherwise I don't see how they are in a position to ban players who have breached the WADA code when ASADA and WADA have not confirmed that they do so.
They are the sport's governing body. They're in a position to do what they like, which at this stage is nothing. Compared to other sport's governing bodies' actions this is a rather soft stance.

As an example, cycling is full of cheats but when admissions of guilt and positive tests rock up the UCI bans fly, and teams withdraw from events.

Interesting point was made on radio last night - if Jobe is banned in the future, given his admission of guilt is there a case to be made that Essendon fielded an ineligible player against the Eagles (and all future games up until the ban)? Since I can't find the relative AFL regulations, FIFA regulations award the match to the opposition. There's certainly a can of worms waiting to be opened if Jobe continues to play.

They are the sport's governing body. They're in a position to do what they like, which at this stage is nothing. Compared to other sport's governing bodies' actions this is a rather soft stance.

As an example, cycling is full of cheats but when admissions of guilt and positive tests rock up the UCI bans fly, and teams withdraw from events.

Interesting point was made on radio last night - if Jobe is banned in the future, given his admission of guilt is there a case to be made that Essendon fielded an ineligible player against the Eagles (and all future games up until the ban)? Since I can't find the relative AFL regulations, FIFA regulations award the match to the opposition. There's certainly a can of worms waiting to be opened if Jobe continues to play.

If you read the aFL's own statement on this, they said only after the ban is put on that a player is ineligible and can't be back-dated.

As for the booing of Stanton...that was only a select few of Essendon supporters. Sure we were all frustrated about his effort. That happens. 99.99% of Essendon supporters didn't boo him.

there is also an investigation taking place. but obviously, if Watson and he club are cleared of any wrong doing, it won't be enough.

i wasnt aware Watson was the only person under the microscope.

He's the only one with publicly known evidence against him. If Jobe hadn't admitted taking the drug on Monday, he wouldn't have been booed.

the investigation is into systemic doping at the club. investigation in a supplement program administered by a sports scientist contracted by the club.

a bloke makes comments and cops the abuse. the guys that keep tight lipped go on their merry way. don't take any heat. win the game. they all even rally behind him at the end of the game.

not too bright.

Why would you boo anyone without evidence. The booing was the fact that Jobe was on the field.

Oh WADA.

druggie is a druggie. no difference between the steriod junkie and the coke addict. i pity them both. some of the world's greatest drug cheats never failed a PED test. WADA is as impotent as a **** on a coke binge.

Yes, in the sporting field.... absolutely no difference.... not too bright....

Oh and "oh wada" - yes its their fault Jobe put a banned drug in his body. Poor ole Jobe...

as long as they admit it on national tele. that's the criteria.

i'll have my pitchfork at the ready.

No, as long as there is evidence... In this case the evidence was an admission. If it was released as a phone tap, video evidence, a positive drug test.... all of these would be evidence.

Again - Jobe would not have been booed if no evidence was available.

He should not have been playing

If you read the aFL's own statement on this, they said only after the ban is put on that a player is ineligible and can't be back-dated.

As for the booing of Stanton...that was only a select few of Essendon supporters. Sure we were all frustrated about his effort. That happens. 99.99% of Essendon supporters didn't boo him.

So in a crowd of 30,000 Dons supporters, only 3 booed him?

I would be disappointed if my fellow supporters didn't boo this self confessed drug cheat.

Lance Armstrong was a supposed good guy as well, his charity raised millions.. you don't see any crocodile tears on his behalf.

Remember when Essendon smashed Melbourne at the start of the season?

Remember when the down and out Melbourne players were trudging off down the race?

Remember the glee on the Don's supporters faces when they were booing and shouting at them?

Karma is a bitch.

The way I see it, if this was Carlton and Mark Murphy said what Jobe said, then as if Essendon supporters wouldn't boo him.

As for Eagles fans, you cost your team the game as it clearly motivated the Bombers...Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it, if this was Carlton and Mark Murphy said what Jobe said, then as if Essendon supporters wouldn't boo him.

As for Eagles fans, you cost your team the game as it clearly motivated the Bombers...Cheers.

The Eagles lost because we weren't good enough to win. Jobe or no Jobe.

The result is irrelevant. He was booed when we were up, he was booed when we were down. The booing largely stopped at the final siren, though I can imagine as he walked off he would have been booed by those surrounding the race.

The result is irrelevant to the argument. He should not have been playing.

I have the replay on in the background here.

These commentators take the absolute cake.

Darcy unsurprisingly doesn't like it because he has an issue with West Coast. Why I still don't know, but that's his concern.

Richo evidently doesn't own a TV or read the papers as he thinks we should SFTU until the investigation finishes.

Darcy just loves Essendon. A minute into the game he was going on about how well the players and in particular Jobe Watson had stood up under 'enormous pressure'. I'm honestly trying to understand why a team should be admired for playing well while they have a drug scandal hanging over them.

I heard from an Essendon mate that Campbell Brown was heartily Boo-ed by the Essendon home crowd a few weeks ago at docklands during the ESS V GC match....Can only assume that this was for 'Sniper' comments made about Lloyd after his crude hit that broke Brad Swells face in round 22 2009.

Not that i would consider Browny to be a great bloke nor a bastion of a modern professional footballer but i suspect that we wouldn't see the Channel 7 commentary team (cough...daddy's mates.... cough) carrying on like Mrs Lovejoy ('Think of the chilkdren!) and sticking it to the Essendon fans for their 'treatment' of him.

Fair double standards if Bombers are getting their pants in a twist about WCE treatment of Watson (especially considering the circumstances) when they are still carrying on about Brown YEARS after the event....

As far as i (and i suspect, many other footy fans) am/are concerned, Watson is now (probably through the fault of his club more than himself) in a position that he is NOT Innocent until proven guilty. He has admitted to taking illegal performance enhancing substances (as defined by WADA) - the burden of proof is now on him/the club to prove that he is innocent or not at fault.

Darcy just loves Essendon. A minute into the game he was going on about how well the players and in particular Jobe Watson had stood up under 'enormous pressure'. I'm honestly trying to understand why a team should be admired for playing well while they have a drug scandal hanging over them.

You're kidding if anyone other than the fans give a shit about the integrity of the game.

Can someone please tell me what it is that Victorian football fans/supporters get up to at games?

Is it all polite clapping and cucumber sandwiches over there?
I thought Victoria was the home of the passionate footy supporter. Surely Collingwood supporters would have similar events or actions in their historical resume. Was it not an Essendon supporter that had Don Pyke in a headlock back in the day at Windy Hill?

Is it fair and unbiased reporting by a media outlet to refer to West Coast fans as ferals?

I like Jobe as a player and he seems a good bloke, but why does he get a free pass in all this? There have been many examples in the past of particular players beeing booed or harrassed at games by fans.

Anyone remember the chants of 'Hadlee's a w***er' at the MCG many years ago?

Seriously, the gnashing and wailing over crowds at Subi and the shockingly biased media reaction to this has been disgusting.

Luke Darcy should have his channel 7 contract torn up. Flog of the highest order.

He was a pontificating buffoon on the football field, and his experience in such qualities has only expanded with his bizarre assertion that he thinks he is a credible football caller. He has been the worst thing about football commentary since Peter Jess had it out with Molly Meldrum on live television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back