Essendon the underachievers of the last 5 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Ibeeza
Pevers you tool. I'm not trying to bag you, I AM bagging you. Essendon is the most despised team in the competition, bar none. You were cheats, are cheats and will forever be cheats. Your mates at the AFL have escaped you from copping what Carlton did. I am no Carlton fan by any means, but they got caught once - you have been caught 1...2...yes 3 times.

Don't think you are the Man U of the AFL either. You are the Milli Vannili of the AFL. Dirty cheating scumbags.

And loving it, while we were cheating and spending all of those beautiful loose dollars and picking up four flags since 1980, I think we may had even flicked the tiggy`s a couple of bucks as they were out begging

Originally posted by windyhill
And loving it, while we were cheating and spending all of those beautiful loose dollars and picking up four flags since 1980, I think we may had even flicked the tiggy`s a couple of bucks as they were out begging

:D

Only successful teams are hated by all others.... Bring on the hate fellas.... only proves how good we are:D
(ducks while waiting for the backlash)

Originally posted by MrFurious
:D

Only successful teams are hated by all others.... Bring on the hate fellas.... only proves how good we are:D
(ducks while waiting for the backlash)

Collingwood don't win **** and their hated. Proberly cos they're stupid toothless pricks

I'm still not entirely convinced that we underachieved. Least we can say we've played finals every year since we were last out of the race. There aren't too many clubs that can proudly boast that sort of record in the modern game.

Remember we are also, according to opposition supporters on here, re-building, yet we continue to play in September, managing to make changes to the squad, without having to fall out of the finals action to do so - a triumph to Kevin Sheedy, Essendon match committee and the board for supporting the way we have progressed since 1997.

Some would say we should have won 3 flags instead of just one...I say maybe. Would we have won 2000 had we have won in 1999? Hypothetical I know, but, it might need to be asked here and answered (Essendon supporters would say because of our fade out in the '99 Prelim, we were so fired up to win in 2000 it was just going to happen). 2001 is perhaps another story, but, we can't really question or deny the hunger that the brisbane team had that day.

Perhaps it is time opposition supporters moved on, or ask questions of their own clubs and the inept efforts they have made over this length of time.

This is easily solved...at essendon we try not to live in the past, we like to think about our future premierships. How about we all get over it. We at least won a flag, and had the chance to win another. What people forget is we were probably a really good team for only 3 years. Not 5!!

Get over it, im excited about this year, perhaps the non essendon supporters before they reply look in their own backyards. I love being an essendon supporter, and will support them win lose or draw. These days its hard to win premierships, its not like u can just buy them.

Originally posted by pazza

Perhaps it is time opposition supporters moved on, or ask questions of their own clubs and the inept efforts they have made over this length of time.

Pazza....don't go tellin ALL of them the secrets of our success....
ALL 'OTHER CLUBS' SUPPORTERS....LOOK AT THE PAST....WATCH THAT 1973 GF VIDEO.... REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES....IT's MORE FUN THAN WATCHING THE BOMBERS WHOOP UR A$$ES IN THE PRESENT....

Obey my dog!:D

If you AVERAGE finishing above 8th (in a competition that is designed and structured so that you're supposed to average finishign 8th over a period of several years), then you have over-achieved.

The fact that Essendon has been able to put together and build a team, that has been able to stay at or near the top half of the ladder for the last 6 years is the most consistently excellent effort of any team over that period, and a huge over-achievement.

You just don't finish 8th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd 5th and 6th (average 5th) in a competition designed for equality without over-achieving. It just can't be done without over-achieving in the current league, because the league is designed for equality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by myTbombers
This is easily solved...at essendon we try not to live in the past, we like to think about our future premierships. How about we all get over it. We at least won a flag, and had the chance to win another. What people forget is we were probably a really good team for only 3 years. Not 5!!

Get over it, im excited about this year, perhaps the non essendon supporters before they reply look in their own backyards. I love being an essendon supporter, and will support them win lose or draw. These days its hard to win premierships, its not like u can just buy them.

Essendon future premierships?

Oxy-moron?

Originally posted by Adelaide Hawk
I fail to see how 1 flag in the past 5 seasons is under-achieving. 13 clubs never won a flag at all.

If the Chicago Bulls had only won one title when they won the "three-peat" whould have they underachieved?

Of course!

Essendon should have achieved more!

Originally posted by MrFurious
I wanna ask ALL other clubs' supporters something... IF your club had found a loophole, used and abused it, won a premiership, and had 2-3 pretty damn good years near the top of the competition, would you REALLY give 2 ****es about the opposition supporters crying foul????

Me thinks not....

so why do you???

For all those who say we "cheated" and like Carlton, Melb & Freo are the only ones who did it BULL****!!

You see Collins made an amnesty which MOST clubs went to and ADMITTED cheating and were let off. Essendon & Melbourne thought they wouldn't get caught so didn't say anything. They were both then caught out for those breaches and others.

Essendon were punished for those crimes.

You dic*heads think Pigsarse is a lying cheating crook but you all beleived his: "Essendon are cheaters and don't deserve the 93 flag." Remeber they were "Baby Bombers" who should NEVER have beaton the choking Crows nor the more experienced (oh and salary cap cheating) Blues.

Oh and our di*ks are still bigger than yours (16 remember)!!

Normally winning '1' flag is an enormous achievement for a club in modern day football because it's so hard to do, but I honestly believe that with the brilliant team that the Bummers had between '99-'01, one flag will always be viewed as an underachievement.:cool:

Originally posted by Hornet
Normally winning '1' flag is an enormous achievement for a club in modern day football because it's so hard to do, but I honestly believe that with the brilliant team that the Bummers had between '99-'01, one flag will always be viewed as an underachievement.:cool:

From a bomber, sad but true.

We had "the best" team we could have and should have won more than 1 GF.

1. 1999. We should have won, but thought we had it set. Carlton had the "underdog" talk given to them pre-during-post game and it worked, only by 1pt... but it worked.

2. 2000. Need i say anything?

3. 2001. We were beaten by a better team on the day. That said however, I really think we were ripped off.... and this will no doubt come under scrutiny :rolleyes: Lloyd was taken out for 1 week after "headbutting" gasper in the first final. This meant that Essendon had to expend EVERYTHING they had to get over Hawthorn. Previously in the year a similar thing happened with Kangas hardman (name misses me right now) and that wasnt called anything, but of course for Essendon it is.

On the day Brisbane played a better game and won.... but I do ask what the dubious Lloyd suspension took out of Essendon.

All said, Essendon should have won 2 flags for the quality team they had. They didnt.

That is life.

Im not complaining, I went to the 2000 Grand Final and that was enough for me. They did me proud in 2000, but I can see other peoples points when they claim that the "team of the century" underachieved by only getting 1 flag.

Does that mean that the current Brisbane team is 3 times better than the Essendon of 2000? I wouldnt have thought so. I would have considered them well and truly similar, but on stats.... they are 3 times better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon the underachievers of the last 5 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back