Essendon vs Freo Pre-Match

Remove this Banner Ad

High Ryder

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wanted a different perspective on the game. Possible inclusions, matchups tips etc.

My thoughts are that after our dismal performance we will be out to keep our season alive and i just get the feeling Lloyd will have a big one after all the flack he has copped this week. Ultimately the midfield battle will decide the match. Slattery will likely go to Bell, and i suspect we'll pretty much go head to head with the rest. As for who takes Pavlich? I suspect he may give the big job to Ryder after his decent game against Franklin last week and he'll assign him the main job. Im not even going to try and tip this one as i have no idea at all which this game will go. Your thoughts?

ins for us per Harvey on tv are Stephen Dodd (who is turning into a very good footballer imo) and 50/50% for Headland.

KPP matchups could be:
-Grover on Lloyd
-McPharlin on Lucas
-Ryder/ Mcphee/ fletcher (?) on Pav
-Michael on Tarrant

Should be a free flowing game

ins for us per Harvey on tv are Stephen Dodd (who is turning into a very good footballer imo) and 50/50% for Headland.

KPP matchups could be:
-Grover on Lloyd
-McPharlin on Lucas
-Ryder/ Mcphee/ fletcher (?) on Pav
-Michael on Tarrant

Should be a free flowing game

Grover on Lucas
McPharlin on Lloyd
McPhee/Ryder on Tarrant
Michael on Pavlich :D
Fletcher - no opponent as per the norm
M. Johnson on Farmer
M. Carr on Stanton

In: Foster
Dodd

Out: M Carr (has been playing with a double hearnia and has been getting injected every quater i have heard, he should not be playing although he did play well last week, if sandi can't play with one how can M Carr)
Shammer

Which Fremantle will turn up? Which Essendon is going to show up? Its going to be a great game. Sheedy vs Harvey. The Master vs the Apprentice. Might be the only time it ever happens. Would love for us to win. I will be there with my girlfriend who is a dockers supporter. Hopefully this is the game I can finally convert her to the darkside.

Which Fremantle will turn up? Which Essendon is going to show up? Its going to be a great game. Sheedy vs Harvey. The Master vs the Apprentice. Might be the only time it ever happens. Would love for us to win. I will be there with my girlfriend who is a dockers supporter. Hopefully this is the game I can finally convert her to the darkside.

Good luck with that, the force is strong in Purple maidens I hear.

Luckily for Freo the inevitable Derby hangover is usually felt more by the side that has to travel the following week. Given that the Biombers game will be our third game in a row at Subi, I think we should still have enough run in the legs to peg you guys.

Factoring in that it's Solomon's first home game against his old club, and Sheedy's first head-tohead with Harvey, could be quite a fiery spectacle.

Freo by 12 points/goals depending on how many phantom 50m penalties they ping us for this time around.

Would be great to have Doddy back this week. I would say his Top 10 finish in the Doig last year is an indication he has already become a very good footballer, and he has really improved this year. Probably one of our few players to actually take a big step forward this year.

Hopefully he is at least back to pants Reiwoldt again.

Good Question..

Only three weeks into our new era so maybe, just maybe, we'll gain some consistancy. Maybe Harvey has told our boys to harden the **** up, as when we played against the Crows and Eagles and we put in a good team effort. The cats rolled us and totally pants us at home - so this game will be good to see where we are at.
I reckon its great that the apprentice Vs. the Master, and sadly it may be the last time it happens.
Gotta be wary of the master, he may use an old jedi mind trick and beat us :p.
I think it's too hard to convert a true battlehardened Dockers supporters away. Maybe best described as Mao Tse-Tung 1000 day march - you know it's gonna take a while - but in time, big time glory will come.

Would be great to have Doddy back this week. I would say his Top 10 finish in the Doig last year is an indication he has already become a very good footballer, and he has really improved this year. Probably one of our few players to actually take a big step forward this year.

Hopefully he is at least back to pants Reiwoldt again.

Doddy back this week....?
That would be great if possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Foster
Dodd

Out: M Carr (has been playing with a double hearnia and has been getting injected every quater i have heard, he should not be playing although he did play well last week, if sandi can't play with one how can M Carr)
Shammer

What is it with Schammer? I have noticed a few others saying he should be an out?? I thought he was just start to find some form.

Yep Doddi back is good.
im going to go against popular belief this week, i honestly dont think this game will be close at all, it will be firey at the start but essendon will drop off quickly and we will win by around 60 points

MJ never has an opponent. He just has some poor sap he stands next to who spends the next 2 hours looking silly as MJ goosifies him up and down the ground.

I don't think there's a tall defender in the game who is as good at MJ once the ball hits the deck. His ball control and skills are as good as any I've ever seen. He's the utlimate proof you don't have to tank to uncover quality players.

Funny thing is I started a poll on the polls board out of who was better - MJ or Polak - and Polak got two thirds of the votes. I should've made it public because I'm willing to bet that most who chose Polak were Vic fans who've been sucked in by the Vic media hype.

MJ never has an opponent. He just has some poor sap he stands next to who spends the next 2 hours looking silly as MJ goosifies him up and down the ground.

I don't think there's a tall defender in the game who is as good at MJ once the ball hits the deck. His ball control and skills are as good as any I've ever seen. He's the utlimate proof you don't have to tank to uncover quality players.

Funny thing is I started a poll on the polls board out of who was better - MJ or Polak - and Polak got two thirds of the votes. I should've made it public because I'm willing to bet that most who chose Polak were Vic fans who've been sucked in by the Vic media hype.

Are you serious?

Polak vs MJ? And the majority of the votes went to Polak?

LOL!

FREMANTLE v ESSENDON
Sunday, 2.10pm WST, Subiaco

FREMANTLE
B: Scott Thornton, Antoni Grover, Michael Johnson
HB: Heath Black, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: Ryan Crowley, Josh Carr, David Mundy
HF: Brett Peake, Chris Tarrant, Dean Solomon
F: Jeff Farmer, Ryan Murphy, Matthew Pavlich
FOLL: Robert Warnock, Peter Bell, Paul Hasleby
I/C: Daniel Gilmore, Byron Schammer, Shaun McManus, Steven Dodd
EMG: Troy Cook, Andrew Foster, Luke Webster

In: Dodd
Out: Matthew Carr (injured)

ESSENDON
B: Dustin Fletcher, Patrick Ryder, Nathan Lovett-Murray
HB: Adam McPhee, Mal Michael, Kyle Reimers
C: Henry Slattery, Mark McVeigh, Angus Monfries
HF: Scott Lucas, Scott Gumbleton, Andrew Lovett
F: Jay Nash, Matthew Lloyd, Andrew Welsh
FOLL: Jason Laycock, Brent Stanton, Jason Winderlich
I/C: Jobe Watson, Ricky Dyson, David Hille, Damien Peverill
EMG: Courtney Johns, Scott Camporeale, Adam Ramanauskas

In: Ricky Dyson, Scott Gumbleton, Kyle Reimers (Peel Thunder)
Out: Mark Johnson (omitted), Adam Ramanauskas (omitted), Courtney Johns (omitted)

I don't know about you guys but im very suprised about the 5 dollar + odds they have for Essendon. I thought the bookies would have had it alot closer than that. Having said that, our team is very very young this week. I still think it will be a tight contest.

I am with FootyEater. Freo will win by 6-8 goals (not the 10 he predicts).

Why?

We're at home.
We've been at home for three weeks.
Essendon's recent form is worse than ours.
Solomon will fire up against his old team.
Pavlich wants to win the Coleman.

Tight game in the first half, with Freo powering away in the third quarter and cruising to an easy victory. Pav to kick 4 goals, Jeffrey 3, Solomon 2.

Off I go down to the TAB...:cool:

Johnson will take Lucas and beat him well. Thornton shouldnt play on Lloyd or Lucas - he would get dominated. I think that Grover should definetely go to Lloyd.

If your a Freo fan you would expect Johnson to beat Lucas..Scotty has been playing with one leg for three weeks now..He cant change direction or anything..If Scotty was fully fit then its a different story..He is in the team to take away a good opponent..

I am with FootyEater. Freo will win by 6-8 goals (not the 10 he predicts).

Why?

We're at home.
We've been at home for three weeks.
Essendon's recent form is worse than ours.
Solomon will fire up against his old team.
Pavlich wants to win the Coleman.

Tight game in the first half, with Freo powering away in the third quarter and cruising to an easy victory. Pav to kick 4 goals, Jeffrey 3, Solomon 2.

Off I go down to the TAB...:cool:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's what WC did against us and look where that got them.
I don't care if we win by a point or 100 points, although the latter provides the percentage boost we need. If we win then the slim slim slim slim chance of finals is still alive.

I remember westo coast talking like this on their boared how they should win by 8 goals blah blah blah, reason i mention this is to keep everybody happy at this reminder freo and essendon alike.

Michael Johnson and Ryder are very very alike, I do believe your under estimating Lucas though half fit or fully fit Johnson will have his hands full if he gets him.

Lovett Murray for best on lol. IMO i think some Freo blokes are rating us on the back of last week, we are miles better then what we showed last week and it really wouldn't surprise me if use won by 10 goals or if we win by 5 it could go either way although you deserve to be favs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon vs Freo Pre-Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back