Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
C'mon guys I'm coming back here a few times to look for your preview thread for the up coming game!!

Essendon has copped a few beltings like that over the last few years so I can understand how gutted you may feel. However, the team that dished out the worst beltings to us was Geelong so obviously this is why the supporters for Essendon are up and about.

Thanks to you bastards we've been on a horror losing streak and it turned around with no warning at the least expected time.

For this reason I'd give Richmond a good chance on Saturday. Despite Dimma saying he wasn't going to rip into your boys after that game they would all be proud men and will come out breathing fire. After the win that Essendon had there is every chance that there'll be a few players pretty satisfied with themselves.

I hope all your supporters turn up this week and get right behind your boys. They are up and down like a yo yo right now but that is to be expected with such a young team. You have class through the midfield, plenty of pace around the ground and a star forward. Vickery might not have turned into the ruckman that the club wanted but provides a handy foil for Reiwolt. You guys are just a ruckman and 1 or 2 bigger KPDs short, as well as 50 games together as a team once all the pieces are in place, from being a top side.

How do you guys feel about the game coming up?

Don't forget that you start again this week that 100 point deficit isn't carried into the next game.

I'm guessing that it'll be a real cracker. Our boys played with finals like intensity last week and your coaches will be giving the challenge of matching that to your boys. I think that both teams will be fired up. A really unpredictable match as both teams are relying on a lot of guys under 22 years old. Hopefully they all come with their A game.

Re: Essendon vs Richmond

I think everyone is still just too deflated to talk about next week. After seeing something like we did on Saturday it really doesn't give you much to be excited about the following week.

I can imagine it will be a hard tough game, a lot of bruising tackles, a lot of commitment.

If we play like we have played the last few weeks then I would say the bombers will win by about 50, If we play like we were at the start of the season I would say the Tiges will get up.

Who knows though, we are too inconsistent. The crowd will definitely be smaller than they expect though.

Outs: Browne, Hislop, Farmer and Thurstfield (Thurstfield never to play for the club again, weak as P155)

In: Graham, Conca, Tuck and McGuane (McGuane might not have the best skills but he has a crack)

To be brutally honest in an arse-about perverse way, part of me will be really disappointed if we do come out 'extra fired up' next week against The Dons and put in a better showing... hell perhaps even forge a win.
It would just go to show that as a team and as individuals we are able to get fired-up and show pasion... but only after showing shit the week before.

Makes the whole Fighting Tiger Fund build up pretty shallow really.
So we can get pumped up after being humiliated but we can't get pumped up for a big game on a Saturday arvo at the G against pricks like Carlton in a game where we are trying to validate asking for millions of dollars from our long suffering supporters?

At least if we cop another reaming it stamps our file as "still have a loooooooong way to go" whereas if we play a blinder and post a win full of pride and hunger, well what the frig was last week all about then?????

To be brutally honest in an arse-about perverse way, part of me will be really disappointed if we do come out 'extra fired up' next week against The Dons and put in a better showing... hell perhaps even forge a win.
It would just go to show that as a team and as individuals we are able to get fired-up and show pasion... but only after showing shit the week before.

Makes the whole Fighting Tiger Fund build up pretty shallow really.
So we can get pumped up after being humiliated but we can't get pumped up for a big game on a Saturday arvo at the G against pricks like Carlton in a game where we are trying to validate asking for millions of dollars from our long suffering supporters?

At least if we cop another reaming it stamps our file as "still have a loooooooong way to go" whereas if we play a blinder and post a win full of pride and hunger, well what the frig was last week all about then?????

I totally agree. It is annoying to see intensity go up and down as well as skill execution. As far as the bombers go I want to see good kicking and 100% effort as a given each week, not just as a response to being humiliated by Hawthorn.

Regards Carlton being pricks, you'll get no argument from me, players don't see it that way anymore. Maxwell was asked leading into Collingwood's first game against Carlton this year whether they get more "up" for a game like that. He said the team rivalries were lost on most of the players as most of them grew up barracking for a different team. Only a one in 16 chance of playing for the team you grew up barracking for!!

What happened to Richmond's speed?

Don't know about the players but us supporters made a rapid exit. I left at half time in disgust and I can tell you there were thousands more who joined me!! First time ever I've left a game so early. I turned to my little bloke at half time and said sorry mate, i think we're gonna lose by 100pts today so let's go have a kick at the park. Good call in the end as much as it pains me to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say I don't think it was just the game against Carlton. We looked awful against Melbourne as well, they just aren't as far advanced as Carlton otherwise we'd have had two weeks of 100 point beltings.

This week; well, if Essendon play the way they did against Geelong and Richmond play similar to the last two weeks, it'll be an absolute drubbing.

Feel as flat as a shit carters hat about this game.
I'm also with Roachy it will really shit me if we come out and breathe fire only to go back into our shell the following week.
I think that's what's really hurting I thought we'd been pretty even I output and were through all that until the Melbourne game.

Sadly it wasn't long ago that we played Essendon and I was as confident of winning as I'd ever been and yet here we are what 6-7 weeks later and I'm just as confident of getting towelled up.I really don't want to go this week.Can a supporter have general soreness?

i think the outside world fail to realise the real implications of saturday's debacle. Its the fact that it was the Fighting Tiger Fund game. I mean if the boys can not get fired up for that game, then what hope do we have? it is the fact that this is exactly what we have come to expect from the tigers, and we are all horribly considering the fact that this may YET AGAIN be a false dawn.

anyway i hope we win this week, but like everyone else on here, hope is all it is. we are all feeling pretty flat.

Just glad it's Essendon this week, and not say, the Gold Coast. At least we'll have a chance against the Bummers.

Don't know about the players but us supporters made a rapid exit. I left at half time in disgust and I can tell you there were thousands more who joined me!! First time ever I've left a game so early. I turned to my little bloke at half time and said sorry mate, i think we're gonna lose by 100pts today so let's go have a kick at the park. Good call in the end as much as it pains me to say.

I've never in my living memory (no idea when I was a kid?) left a game early but I was doing everything in my will to stay and not just wonder over to the pub to watch the end. Even the game we got belted against the Cats in '07 didn't hurt as much.

Watching this game to the end was just torture and I sure hope I don't have to go through it again any time soon (think it has a lot to do with the dislike for Carlton).

TBH I agree with Hardwick, that wasn't Richmond out there and IMO that wasn't Essendon out there vs Geelong. We aren't that bad and Essendon are clearly not that good. So realistically we shouldn't lose by more than 5 goals and we could even snatch a win if all goes our way.

I totally agree. It is annoying to see intensity go up and down as well as skill execution. As far as the bombers go I want to see good kicking and 100% effort as a given each week, not just as a response to being humiliated by Hawthorn.

Regards Carlton being pricks, you'll get no argument from me, players don't see it that way anymore. Maxwell was asked leading into Collingwood's first game against Carlton this year whether they get more "up" for a game like that. He said the team rivalries were lost on most of the players as most of them grew up barracking for a different team. Only a one in 16 chance of playing for the team you grew up barracking for!!

Geez I hate hearing that sort of thing, when I think of all the stories my old man tell me of the "old days".

I would hope after a couple of seasons playing for a team a player would develop a love for that team and a hate for their rivals... Jake King for instance is a Tiger, nfi who he supported as a kid but I can tell you he hates Carlton and Collingwood.

That's the spirit! :D

Game will be much closer than you guys think. We are terrible at the MCG.

Heh, was pretty sure you were trying to lift our spirits. Just thought I'd bite :D

The healing process must have kicked in...

(ps: seems your post was deleted :p)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back