Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Handball, handball, handball, turnover, Bomber goal. Rinse repeat.

Must be allergic to kicking it. At least it would get it down the line out of danger instead of a turnover in a dangerous area. More disposals but a 40 point loss.

Let's hope we actually review this loss. Or maybe send the players to Dreamworld for next week's preparation.

Starting to remind me of the wallace era. we out/overpossess and get spanked.

I know the finish will be frustrating for you guys but seriously it was a good effort to come out and control most of the first 2.5 quarters. What changed was Essendon seemed to go man on man more and Hurley up forward provided a better structure, even though he seemed to have more impact down back. Essendon also picked up tackling pressure.

While Essendon picked up in these areas Richmond quited simply tired. You boys, well both teams actually, seemed a little stiff and there seemed like a lot of boys out there who didn't actually break into long strides when running.

Over all while you boys had the energy to keep pressing I think your coaching had the better of ours and was moving through our zone quite easily.

Both teams were fairly defensive up to that point and the fact that BOTH teams never really presented would have provided frustration for both supporters. How many times did either team have a guy take a mark on the back flank and look up to see 34 players within a kick of him and no one actually presenting. It was junior footy stuff with guys standing there calling for it with their hands in the air.

Once again Richmond's pace at the centre bounce and around stoppages troubled Essendon. Also Vickery impressed, he will be a real leader around the club for a long time.

I wouldn't go slashing my wrists if I was a Richmond supporter at this stage. You just have to realise where the development of the team is. Once you get 2 more KPDs, 2nd Ruck, another crumber and a bit more depth in the defensive midfield types you'll have a great list on your hands.

With the expansion teams and a soft draft this year it might take 3 years to build up that list, then of course two years of playing together (and putting weight on). The club just needs to be patient with a coach about this for a change.

Apparently there is a dearth of tall blokes in the draft this year but heaps of mids. Your top end talent in there with Martin and Cothin is as good as it gets perhaps you could trade Foley to Essendon for Slattery and 2nd round pick. Slattery and your first rounder might get Trengrove to Richmond and two 2nd round picks of mids should get depth there. I'd follow it up with 3rd and 4th round picks for small forward and defender. Maybe look at a state league ruck in PSD too.

That would be a good start.

Cheers and good luck. I hope you guys can do it in the next 3 years because a top four of Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond is possible and a salivating idea.

Not excusing Houli but browsing hundred of comments why is no one mentioning the kick from Helbig 40 sec to go 3rd quarter. This kid under no pressure couldn't find the target from 20m away.

Helbig and Batchelor are so far shaping as the stereotypical tiger player -- wins the pill then turns it over.

Rance doesn't seem short of fans here but how many goals does he give up each week? Why do people focus on the marks and spoils and ignore turnovers? His ledger would be negative for the year (goals coughed up exceeding goals saved).

We have 8-10 players who can't be trusted with the ball plus Newman seems to be having frequent brain fades. Martins kicking over 50+m is one of the best in the league, low and accurate. Under 30m one of the worst. I don't remember him hitting a target with a 20m kick ever yet he is pinpoint with 50m kicks.

Simple game plane for an opposition side: shutdown Martin, shutdown Cotchin, take it easy and let the richmond back 6 hand it to you on a plate.

(How is it that Grigg has never been dropped this year? Panic disposal)

I'd like to see a heat map of where our inside 50 marks were in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I remember Cotch having a couple of shots from probably right on his limit, Grigg from outside 50, Vickery a couple from wide angles... none of them were goals. Just seemed we wasted quite a few chances there.

Not excusing Houli but browsing hundred of comments why is no one mentioning the kick from Helbig 40 sec to go 3rd quarter. This kid under no pressure couldn't find the target from 20m away.
Good point, the kick should have hit the target and we probably at least get it outside 50.

Simple game plane for an opposition side: shutdown Martin, shutdown Cotchin, take it easy and let the richmond back 6 hand it to you on a plate.
Haha, even Channel 10 managed to figure that out :eek:

Reasonably even first half which was played on your terms. Sharked our rucks well, Hille to Foley would've been the #1 combo on the ground. (you had the 'wind assistance' (3 little weathervanes in green tops seemed to only be able to point one way) which swung around big time in the 4th... heaven forbid even-ups)
Just lacked anyone who put their hand up after half-time. Needed a big tackle on a Jetta or Monfries or Crameri & it wasn't there; that 4th was played very much on our terms.

Vickery competed well early but not there yet (as a ruck). Griffiths was easily your best tall. Reiwoldt was really disappointing IMHO. Martin that good around goals. Cotchin, Foley busy. Edwards looked like breaking free a couple of times & just couldn't quite manage it.

Reasonably even first half which was played on your terms. Sharked our rucks well, Hille to Foley would've been the #1 combo on the ground. (you had the 'wind assistance' (3 little weathervanes in green tops seemed to only be able to point one way) which swung around big time in the 4th... heaven forbid even-ups)
Just lacked anyone who put their hand up after half-time. Needed a big tackle on a Jetta or Monfries or Crameri & it wasn't there; that 4th was played very much on our terms.

Vickery competed well early but not there yet (as a ruck). Griffiths was easily your best tall. Reiwoldt was really disappointing IMHO. Martin that good around goals. Cotchin, Foley busy. Edwards looked like breaking free a couple of times & just couldn't quite manage it.

Well, he kinda did a couple of times, which worked out well for you guys - given his ability to hit opposition players on the chest, lace out :)

Actually, a lot of Greg Tivendale in Edwards... unfortunately.

There's a little bit of Edwards in Colyer, as well. Can shank.
Colyer, atm, just has a good kicking day once in every two; Edwards it's more once in every four.

Edwards is frustrating. If he was just a consistently good kick (without having to be elite), he would be a half handy footballer. As is, he just undoes all his good work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant tall as in forward or back; rather than ruck, should've clarified.
Griff was at least looking dangerous enough to keep his man occupied; a few really really good marks. Couldn't say the same for any of Post/Reiwoldt/Vickery, all well beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back