Preview Essendon vs St Kilda Saints - 7:25pm Saturday, 1st of April 2023 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think Jones has been ineffective? Voss is banging the door down. If Weid gets up, he and Voss should be starters.
Scott made it pretty clear in his presser that he's playing his role and doing a good job of it. Goals not the only measure, by any definition. I'd be shocked if Jones was dropped

Agree that Hind may not come in but tackles is not a useful stat for defenders. Massimo had 1 and Ridley had 0 for example.

Ridley dominating the air is more useful than him hitting tackles, but a Small Defender really should be able to register some tackles in most games, especially with the closing speed Hind has. The level of dominance we had against GWS meant there may not have actually been any opportunities for tackling anyway.

Ridley dominating the air is more useful than him hitting tackles, but a Small Defender really should be able to register some tackles in most games, especially with the closing speed Hind has. The level of dominance we had against GWS meant there may not have actually been any opportunities for tackling anyway.

I think missed tackles would be a better metric for defenders. They don’t get many opportunities to lay a tackle but when they do they need to make them stick.

I think the coaches are unlikely to make too many changes.

For mine the plausible outs are: BZT, Heppell and Philips. Plausible ins are: Baldwin, Weideman, Guelfi, Hind and Stringer

Do wonder if Martin is 100% as well.

Hobbs with 36 disposals and 2 goals surely pushing for selection too

Definitely good enough but we already aren’t giving enough midfield time to Caldwell so don’t see how do we fit Hobbs in.

Parish leaving for Band 1 might be best for our list construction/team balance.

I’m always curious as to why everyone seems to be onboard with dropping massimo?
I thought he was really good today and seems to get better with every afl game under his belt. One of the best kicks in our team but always seems to be on the chopping block, am I missing something?

Agree 100%. First game back & looked good to me, stays in.

If Weid is battling something akin to turf toe he isn't making it back two weeks on.
If he didn't step foot on the training track all week he wasn't playing, no matter what the coach said in his presser that he may be could have.

You can play with turf toe but you will be largely ineffective.

Get it right now as we will need him down the stretch and there aren't too many tall reinforcements coming if he isn't right.

His whole presser was based on not setting up players to fail.
I'd say based on that Hep is out, weid won't be risked and BZT is just finding confidence, don't play him on a bum ankle, you have reserves, use them.
Also going off coaches comments about finding out about the players you have. Well here is another chance to see what you have.

Baldwin, Voss and Stringer in.

If Weid is battling something akin to turf toe he isn't making it back two weeks on.
If he didn't step foot on the training track all week he wasn't playing, no matter what the coach said in his presser that he may be could have.

You can play with turf toe but you will be largely ineffective.

Get it right now as we will need him down the stretch and there aren't too many tall reinforcements coming if he isn't right.

His whole presser was based on not setting up players to fail.
I'd say based on that Hep is out, weid won't be risked and BZT is just finding confidence, don't play him on a bum ankle, you have reserves, use them.
Also going off coaches comments about finding out about the players you have. Well here is another chance to see what you have.

Baldwin, Voss and Stringer in.
i reckon that's about right.
who'd be your 3rd out?

Both would be stiff, but for me it's either Guelfi with Mass to sub, or Mass given we can put others behind the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall the biggest worry for us. He destroyed us in the PS game. We definitely need to keep going with the 2 ruck setup, it works well
Agreed. Its why I'm dropping Harry to accommodate Weid and Stringer.

Agreed. Its why I'm dropping Harry to accommodate Weid and Stringer.
i dont think Weid gets up. Harry did his job. Bring Stringer in and it's another dangerous fwd for them to worry about.
Draper is pushing fwd hard as well.

I'd say replace Guelfi with Stringer, Heppell with Hobbs & Zerk with Baldwin.

Harry plays an important role for us. He’ll push up high and drag a key defender out with him. If they don’t go with him with have a tall option on a small up field. If weid comes in I’d drop Phillips.
Marshall will smash Draper to smithereens with no effective chop out.

Marshall will smash Draper to smithereens with no effective chop out.
Marshall is not going to play 100% ruck either. Did you see Phillips in the ruck yesterday against witts. Cordy is their back up ruck and spends a fair amount of time in there. I’d rather have weid ruck against him, and have him forward than have Phillips ruck and forward.

Marshall is not going to play 100% ruck either. Did you see Phillips in the ruck yesterday against witts.
in his defence, he's been the best performing ruckman that's hit 30+ for us since Madden.
At some point his body will become a challenge for him, if it isn't already.

Same ol situation for us. KPP gets old. Replacements were drafted too late to be ready. Bryan needs to step up soon and come in for Flip

Marshall is not going to play 100% ruck either. Did you see Phillips in the ruck yesterday against witts. Cordy is their back up ruck and spends a fair amount of time in there. I’d rather have weid ruck against him, and have him forward than have Phillips ruck and forward.
Cordy rucked when the ball went forward.

Phillips is needed.

Cordy rucked when the ball went forward.

Phillips is needed.
Marshall spent 78% tog, so who rucked the other 22% then?
I’d rather draper just went head to head with him. Marshall isn’t an elite tap ruckman anyway, draper was poor against the Saints and along way off his best. He can play a lot better than that.

Marshall spent 78% tog, so who rucked the other 22% then?
I’d rather draper just went head to head with him. Marshall isn’t an elite tap ruckman anyway, draper was poor against the Saints and along way off his best. He can play a lot better than that.
I only noticed Cordy rucking when the ball was forward. If he rucked elsewhere then sure, no worries.

Marshall spent 85% TOG the week before. He generally runs solo with very little chop out.

He will destroy Draper if the plan is to let them run head to head. There's a reason we're choosing to not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back