Preview Essendon vs St Kilda Saints - 7:25pm Saturday, 1st of April 2023 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to get Voss in surely - what else does the man need to do to get picked?!?! Stringer SUB and no rush on Weideman so maybe;-

OUT: Jones, Massimo, Davey, Heppell
IN: Voss, Hind, Guelfi, Hobbs

Team;-

Ridley Zerk McGrath
Redman Lav Hind
Shiel Setterfield Durham
Perkins Langford Guelfi
Voss Draper Menzie

Phillips Parish Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Hobbs Martin Kelly
SUB: Stringer

Out: Phillips, Heppell, Zerk (inj)
In: Weideman, Stringer, Baldwin

Ridley (Philippou) - Baldwin (Cordy) - Kelly (Higgins)
Redman (Owens) - Laverde (Caminiti) - McGrath (Gresham)
Durham - Setterfield - Martin
Perkins - Jones - Davey
Menzie - Weideman - Stringer
Draper - Parish - Merrett
Langford - D'Ambrosio - Shiel - Caldwell
Guelfi

Is...is this...is this what 'depth' feels like??

A 2nd midfielder starting in the VFL, Cox and Reid are dominating in VFL, Tex is kicking goals, Heppell and Tippa are in VFL, and Andrews dominating VFL ... Voss also running massive kms as CHF on top of his bustling work.

Oh, and able to bring Wright back slowly with a few quarters in the VFL.

Hopefully the end of this year that is the case!

A 2nd midfielder starting in the VFL, Cox and Reid are dominating in VFL, Tex is kicking goals, Heppell and Tippa are in VFL, and Andrews dominating VFL ... Voss also running massive kms as CHF on top of his bustling work.

Oh, and able to bring Wright back slowly with a few quarters in the VFL.

Hopefully the end of this year that is the case!
Its nice to think we'd reasonably expect to add 6-7 to our 22.

Wright, hobbs, stringer, tippa, tsatas, cox and reid is nice depth to call on.

Had a squiz at their preview thread. Seems like a pretty uninformed mob. They'll also see this as a few are stalking this thread.

If our current CBA trio appears to be Zerrett, Parish and Setterfield, it gives us a different complexion if we can rotate through Caldwell, Hobbs and Shiel while the first three rest. Some serious grunt.

What I expect:
In: Weideman
Out: Heppell

A team that has won its first 2 games by a combined 90-odd points likely won't be changed all that much.

I stand by that Jones was:
A) playing on one of the 5 best CHBs in the comp
B) was one out as a KPF most of the time and was being double and tripled teamed down the line at every opportunity - likely what Scott referred to in other players 'getting off the chain'.

I think Heppell might be dropped, though i don't think that will be for Hobbs. I think in turn Stringer/Weideman will come in and Langford will return to the wing in Heppells place. Stringer might need another week of VFL to be cherry ripe.

Would rather Hobbs play full time mid at VFL level then be shunted on a wing in the firsts and wait for an inevitable injury to one of our mids.

We are very light on for talls. Jones has good running patterns and just needs some games. The last two weeks it seems that someone has been able to get out. This week it was Langford. If Weiderman get's up, Jones and Weiderman should be in the same side together (not a swap). Phillips is the one I'd take out (with Weiderman to backup ruck).
Without any evidence to back to up, except my faulty eyesight and dodgy memory, my feeling is that we generally play better with Phillips in the side. His experience and size adds value which may not necessarily translate into possession stats. Important in a young team. I'd keep him in.

If our current CBA trio appears to be Zerrett, Parish and Setterfield, it gives us a different complexion if we can rotate through Caldwell, Hobbs and Shiel while the first three rest. Some serious grunt.

I think not only has it given us options with Setterfield, the mindset shift in Parish now has the mix looking better.

Don't think I have ever seen so many immature and tasteless posts than on the St Kilda board.
Maybe we should posts GIFs, photos and statements about Nick Dal Santo, Steven Baker...

Stay Classy Bombers.

Heppell is done, he's a liability - sad but that is the reality. Happy, with one of Hobbs / Hind / Stringer as a replacement.

Haven't even had the chance to formulate a view on this game but it is hilarious to see some of the big heads on the Saints board as though they are not one of the most bog average, vanilla, go nowhere teams of the last 12 years. At least we OWN how shit we've been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very torn on Jones. Love what he could be; however, he was absolutely bodied yesterday and was ineffectual. It will be tough for him to hold his spot with Voss and Stringer waiting in the wings. He works hard, so maybe that buys a few more chances.

Caldwell goes hard, Durham gets contested possessions on a wing, the run of Durham and Martin on the wings and Setterfield is killing it inside. Bring Hobbs in and it frees up Shiel, Merrett and Parish to cut up the opposition, leave Perkins forward and McGrath back. Hobbs is the final piece of a well-rounded midfield.

Next week against the saints missing Steele is the perfect week to hammer that home.

Unless Zerk ankle was a very minor sprain, it would make sense to rest him now then potentially make it worse later in the year.
So Baldwin for Zerk.

Can't see too many other changes for a team that's going alright.
Heppel likely needs to be dropped to find more form, but who would replace him?

Caldwell goes hard, Durham gets contested possessions on a wing, the run of Durham and Martin on the wings and Setterfield is killing it inside. Bring Hobbs in and it frees up Shiel, Merrett and Parish to cut up the opposition, leave Perkins forward and McGrath back. Hobbs is the final piece of a well-rounded midfield.

Next week against the saints missing Steele is the perfect week to hammer that home.
Even sans Hobbs, i expect us to really compete with the Saints. They haven't shown a propensity to score enough to beat our early efforts.
Suns were a good warm up to this.
Suns backs are alright, but elite in the middle/ruck. Similar forward line (both missing a potent King)

I am very torn on Jones. Love what he could be; however, he was absolutely bodied yesterday and was ineffectual. It will be tough for him to hold his spot with Voss and Stringer waiting in the wings. He works hard, so maybe that buys a few more chances.

Collins is a genuinely good 1v1 defender, not surprising Jones struggled against him given he was our only tall target. It did allow Langford room to work which was important.

That’s all you need to know about Harry’s game yesterday. 15km as a key forward is huge, no way voss comes close to that.

View attachment 1641297
He was really our only consistent target down the line all game.
Was double and triple teamed at points as a result, which is what Scott likely meant by him letting other guys 'off the chain'.

Not sure about everyone putting Hind in. He had leather poisoning against a severely depleted GWS ressies, sure, but I'm not sure many force their way into a Brad Scott side after recording zero tackles for a game.

View attachment 1641157

Massimo's class by foot is gold in modern footy, and he showed a lot of poise yesterday. He keeps his spot.

I can't see Heppell dropped, but maybe Scott will go with "rested" and we'll get:

IN: Hobbs, Weideman, Baldwin
OUT: Heppell (rest), Phillips (omit), Zerk (inj.)

Swap Guelfi into the starting 22, and let Alwyn have a mini "rest" week as the sub. Let Stringer have another run in the magoos to get some conditioning.

Agree that Hind may not come in but tackles is not a useful stat for defenders. Massimo had 1 and Ridley had 0 for example.

He was really our only consistent target down the line all game.
Was double and triple teamed at points as a result, which is what Scott likely meant by him letting other guys 'off the chain'.
Yep watching the game back he threw his body into so many contests. He was never going to have a day out playing on Collins, but made sure Collins didn’t rack up intercepts and stifled our attack.

Unless Zerk ankle was a very minor sprain, it would make sense to rest him now then potentially make it worse later in the year.
So Baldwin for Zerk.

Can't see too many other changes for a team that's going alright.
Heppel likely needs to be dropped to find more form, but who would replace him?
Stringer is the obvious candidate.

Guelfi, Snelling, Hobbs. We have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back