Preview Essendon vs West Coast (12/5) - General Discussion & Ins and Outs speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon vs West Coast (12/05/2012):

Observations:

Essendon: Essendon are in very good form. Have 5 wins on the board with the solitary loss coming against Collingwood by 1 point. Have accounted for the premiership favourites at that point in time Carlton on the way, and have beaten Brisbane comfortably in their most recent encounter. With players like Hurley, Myers and Hille all possible inclusions, there are positive signs for the bombers coming up against their biggest challenge yet

West Coast: Form side of the competition. They’ve played with poise, skill, smarts and toughness. Have had big losses in terms of personnel in their normally very strong forward line, with Josh Kennedy, Mark LeCras and Mark Nicoski all out for a long time, Essendon’s defence may be able to cover for their forward line unlike any of the other defences they’ve come up against

Head-to-Head (last 5) : Essendon 1-West Coast 4

Form:

Essendon: W-W-W-L-W
West Coast: W-W-W-W-?

Odds (forecasted by me because the forecasting website sucks) West Coast $1.90 Essendon $1.90

Possible Teams:

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Hooker-Dyson
C: Zaharakis-Watson-Heppell
HF: Colyer-Hurley-Davey
F: Crameri-Ryder-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Stanton
I: Howlett-Melksham-Lonergan
S: Lovett-Murray

West Coast:
B: Brown-Glass-Smith
HB: Hurn-MacKenzie-Waters
C: Rosa-Priddis-Gaff
HF: Masten-Lynch-Hams
F: Cox-Darling-Hill
R: Naitanui-S Selwood-Kerr
I: Shuey-A Selwood-Butler
S: McGinnity

Key Match-Ups:

Brent Stanton vs Scott Selwood: Wow what a match-up, Scott Selwood is the best tagger in the AFL by a long way and Stanton’s form, barring the ANZAC Day game, has been absolutely incredible. After getting 39 touches and a whopping 17 marks against Brisbane, there’s no doubt that Stanton will be tagged, we’ll see whether or not Selwood can stop him, because if he can’t, no-one can

Cale Hooker vs Quinten Lynch: Wow what a match-up. Hooker has been one of the best defender’s for Essendon, claiming scalps like Drew Petrie, Matthew Kruezer and Travis Cloke, quietening all three to not have a major influence on the game. Lynch is a very strong key forward, will be an important cog in the forward line without Kennedy up there

Stewart Crameri vs Eric MacKenzie: Stewart Crameri is in fantastic form for the bombers, looking like the best 3rd tall in the AFL right now after kicking 4 goals against Daniel Merrett, and 5 goals against Carlton means that West Coast should be very wary of Crameri. Eric MacKenzie is one of the better defenders for West Coast, and would get a lot more attention if he played in Victoria instead of Western Australia

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
• Kick accurately- Essendon have wasted good chances in the forward line in most games. Will want to improve heavily in that regard.
• Win the clearances. Watson/Howlett/Lonergan/Hocking are a powerful inside unit, they will want to do it against a quality side in West Coast
• Skills. Don’t make that terrible mistake Essendon seem to make every 10 minutes or so that keep cropping up in games

West Coast:
• Spread from the contest well. Essendon’s spread is very good, try to nullify it and get them running defensively instead of offensively
• Win the ruck. These two sides have claims to having the best combination in the AFL, so win the contest and confirm that claim
• Pressure Essendon as much as possible. The bombers are susceptible to turning the ball over, so pressure them as much as possible

Summary:

Essendon are in the best spot they’ve been in since 2000. They’re playing the best football in the post-Sheedy era. The injuries are a worry, but with a player like Hurley back they’ll be a lot better off. This is their biggest challenge yet, up against a strong Eagles outfit

West Coast is a very good side. Players like Mark Priddis, Andrew Rosa, Andrew Gaff, Daniel Kerr and Scott Selwood form one of the strongest midfields in the competition, and their forward depth is very good with Hill and Hams usually out of the side, yet are good enough to dominate up there when given their chance.

Tip: Essendon are a very even side, balanced all over the ground. West Coast is the same, but has a slight query in travelling, especially to Melbourne. Essendon by 6

Re: Essendon vs West Coast (12/5)

Same view as the Prosecutor. This is a MAMMOTH game coming up, and after watching us against Brisbane and how well we played, I'm seriously considering us a fantastic chance to give WCE their first loss of the year, presuming they beat North tomorrow.

Which isn't a certainty, North are playing good footy.

Essendon by 17.

At Subiaco, they'd win.

At Etihad, we'll win.

Simple.

Wouldn't have thought the Coasters would be anywhere near as bad here than we are over there haha

edit: also without crammer and hurley it could be difficult.

Very much looking forward to it. Hope it's a real corker, and I hope that there is much scarf/jacket waving no matter what the result (there's usually a pretty solid WC Vic contingent, IIRC)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting game and will know more bout WC after they play today and how a likely team might look. For our boys, I dont see Hurley getting up for this game but would be really interested to see who makes way if both he and Pears were passed fit. Carlisle and Colyer?? Thought Colyer was good when he came on and Carlisle was pretty solid so both would feel pretty stiff to be dropped. If it was just soreness, gut feel says Pears comes in to replace Carlisle, if Crammers is fine, if hes not Pears in and Carlisle goes forward.
Nice luxury to have McVeigh, Myers and Hille all being forced to play well at Bendigo to win their spots back, plus having guys like Davis performing well at Bendigo but unable to secure a call up, the injury list starting to dwindle and the big Gumby close to playing in a few weeks.
Happy times :)

Hurley and Crameri need to get up for this one.

Otherwise...i can't see this going our way.

Yep.

They will be missing key forwards and should find it hard to score. If our two key forwards can get fit, (which I think both will miss) it will go a long, long way to enforcing some scoreboard pressure and hopefully the 4 points.

ALSO.

We only lost 1 game all year at Etihad in 2011. We clearly love the joint and it should go a long wait to getting the team over the line.

We are a huge chance here.
Crameri, Myers, Pears, Hurley & McVeigh will cause selection dilemmas depending on fitness - but hard to drop anyone from the team that was so good against the Lions.
Should be a great game - definitely going to this one and will be 'wavin me bloody jacket'!!

Yep Its a nice Dilemma to have, but spike would have to be a very very long shot to get a game with the way Davey and Jetta are playing together. But Myers, Hille, Pears, Hurley are going to cause some good problems in the coming weeks.

I know Bendigo still has to play but at this point id have;-

NLM Fletch Hardingham
Dempsey Hooker Dyson
Heppell Lonergan Stanton
Monfries Carlisle Zaka
Davey Ryder Jetta

T.Bell Watson Hocking

Interchange from: Crameri Howlett Melksham Colyer
Hurley Pears McVeigh Myers

depending on fitness/match-ups will dictate who stays in 22 from 'interchange' players. Good to be starting to get players back - Hibberd, Hille, Winders still to come :)

I am optimistic that this'll be a cracking game, but am not convinced it'll go our way..

Worst case scenario is Hurley, Hille and Crameri don't come up, and Ryder is out due to suspension (I think the MRP will have a look at his game)..
In that scenario T-Bell and NLM will have to work together in the ruck against the very impressive WCE duo.
And then we won't have much of a forward structure.. Davey, Jetta, Gus, and Carlisle? Maybe Stieinberg? How far away is Gumby?

We will have a big challenge on our hands, and IMHO the Eagles can possibly cover for their depleted forward line better than we can..
Either way we will know a lot more when the teams are listed later this week..

I really dont think Hurley will play and IF Crameri doesnt come up why not bring in Steinberg in for first game,i think he has done enough at Bendigo.Ryder to play more forward......:).....And im serious about Steinberg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back