Essendon's Depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Longy413 said:
Murphy was our leading possession getting against Melbourne, Solomon third. McVeigh and Mark Johnson also had 20 plus.

Against Geelong Bullen played his best game for the club. McVeigh was outstanding, as was Watson. Murphy once again had 20+ and Rama had a blinder (although mostly at half back).

You must be obsessed with possessions.

Last year and the next couple of years are rebuilding years for Essendon. We will still make the finals during these years. There aren't many other clubs that can turn over their list while still remaining competitive.

shiva25 said:
Doesnt matter if they were high draft picks or not.They still showed something to suggest they would be good players.I am not saying Dyson & Stanton have to win games of footy for you but they just dont have anything in their games to suggest they will be good players and Watson who has been there slightly longer is in the same boat.

Shiva there are some real morons on this site but many of them I think do it with a bit of tongue in cheek. You on the other hand just seem totally oblivious to anything resembling reality. There are more than 600 players on AFL lists. How many of them can you name who had a significant impact in their first year? Lets just look at 1 example of how stupid you are. Jared Rivers, he won the rising star in 2004 so he's obviolsy a younge kid who's shown some talent & real potential. In his first year he played 3 games. Count them Shiva: 1,2,3. In a side that finished with only 5 wins for the year he could only manage 3 games. By your logic Melbourne should have given him his marching orders then. I think from Memory Hird might have only got 1 or 2 games in his first year & he was older than Stanton even is now. How many of last years draftees didn't even manage to get 1 game? Are you prepared to say that every one of them will be no good?
I'm not getting on here & declairing Stanton & Dyson the next Voss & Hird but I am very happy with they way they are progressing. How far they can go is totally unknown but to write them off after their first year is a discrace.

Thrawn said:
Rubbish. Even with Lloyd and Hird in your team, we can still manage to beat you. Or don't you remember our last game against each other in the season proper?

Who knows what difference Hird and Lloyd would've made? Maybe that would force Carlton to be more desperate and play a little harder, or make Essendon complacent? Fact remians, even with a full-strength side or close at your disposal, Carlton has that knack of upsetting you.

name the last time Carlton beat Essendon in the season proper when it hasn't been raining.. or wet ??

don't fool yourself.. the wet weather and Essendon playing stupidly in it is the only reason Carlton beat us

A.Henneman - tried hard in the ruck and was outnumbered in forward marking contests. Could have done more.
J.Reynolds - just not sold on Joel. Haven't been all the time.
J.Watson - knocked yet still laid 2 very good tackles late.
J.Laycock - better in ruck than at CHF.
S.Hunt - tackles hard and maybe the wing is his best place. Could be a surprise selection for round 1 if fitness becomes an issue in the next few weeks.
N.Lovett-Murray - couple of desperate acts and the body has filled out nicely as opposed to 12 months ago.
M.Bullen - would have been in the best 22 prior to Sunday. Taken a backward step.
R.Dyson - did alright.
B.Stanton - kicking has improved.
D.Cupido - not sure about him in the backline.
A.Lovett - get the kid onto the list.
M.Bolton - owned Kouta. Might just become our tagger.

OB1 said:
Shiva there are some real morons on this site but many of them I think do it with a bit of tongue in cheek. You on the other hand just seem totally oblivious to anything resembling reality. There are more than 600 players on AFL lists. How many of them can you name who had a significant impact in their first year? Lets just look at 1 example of how stupid you are. Jared Rivers, he won the rising star in 2004 so he's obviolsy a younge kid who's shown some talent & real potential. In his first year he played 3 games. Count them Shiva: 1,2,3. In a side that finished with only 5 wins for the year he could only manage 3 games. By your logic Melbourne should have given him his marching orders then. I think from Memory Hird might have only got 1 or 2 games in his first year & he was older than Stanton even is now. How many of last years draftees didn't even manage to get 1 game? Are you prepared to say that every one of them will be no good?
I'm not getting on here & declairing Stanton & Dyson the next Voss & Hird but I am very happy with they way they are progressing. How far they can go is totally unknown but to write them off after their first year is a discrace.

On the same theme you can't expect a Stanton or a Dyson to have a major impact in the midfield this season.

The improvement for 2005 should come from your 20-24's.

These are the players that should be stepping up in the midfield. (Unless you have a Judd or a Wells or your hands)

And this is where Essendon lack depth.

The 20 to 24 are average and have shown very little with a few exceptions

IMO the cupboard looks pretty bare....

Alvey, Mark 24
Ramanauskas, Adam 24
Henneman, Aaron 24
McVeigh, Mark 24
Hille, David 23
Haynes, Ben 23
Zantuck, Ty 23
Cupido, Damian 22
Thomas, Paul 22
Bullen, Marcus 22
McPhee, Adam 22
Lovett-Murray, Nathan (R) 22
Lovett, Andrew (R) 22
Richards, Ted 22
Welsh, Andrew 22
Hunt, Sam 21
Reynolds, Joel 20
Winderlich, Jason 20
Laycock, Jason 20
Johns, Courtney 20
Wilson, Adrian (R) 20

OB1 said:
I dont think you quite understand what i am saying.I dont expect to see young players who are in their 1st or 2nd years to make a huge impact.I never said that had to happen.The fact that Jared Rivers has come on a lot quicker than Stanton, Dyson or Watson is proof as it has only taken him a handful of games for us to notice he has the potential to be a player.Stanton & Dyson have played more than a handfull of games and have gained some experience and theres nothing to suggest they will be good players.

shiva25 said:
]Stanton & Dyson have played more than a handfull of games and have gained some experience and theres nothing to suggest they will be good players.

Have you seen all of there games?
Did you see Dyson against Collingwood or against West Coast?
Or Stanton against West Coast, Carlton, Bulldogs, Brisbane?

These guys have played good football. You simply haven't seen it. You didn't even watch the whole game on Sunday. Stanton was the second youngest player on an AFL list last season.

Longy, its no use arguing with ignorant fools.

According to Shiva, all 2nd year players should basically be written off unless they look like Chris Judd.

Shiva,
You state that Rivers has come on a lot quicker than Dyson or Stanton but you are comparing apples with oranges. Last year was Rivers 2nd season and Dyson and Stanton's first season.

I think the draft is great but the only problem is we get so many idiots thinking that they are a combination of Scott Clayton and Noel Judkins and that they, and they only, are the best spotters of talent in the land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheik Mathious said:
The 20 to 24 are average and have shown very little with a few exceptions

IMO the cupboard looks pretty bare....

Alvey, Mark 24
Ramanauskas, Adam 24
Henneman, Aaron 24
McVeigh, Mark 24
Hille, David 23
Haynes, Ben 23
Zantuck, Ty 23
Cupido, Damian 22
Thomas, Paul 22
Bullen, Marcus 22
McPhee, Adam 22
Lovett-Murray, Nathan (R) 22
Lovett, Andrew (R) 22
Richards, Ted 22
Welsh, Andrew 22
Hunt, Sam 21
Reynolds, Joel 20
Winderlich, Jason 20
Laycock, Jason 20
Johns, Courtney 20
Wilson, Adrian (R) 20

Minus Hunt and Henneman there is a lot of quality there. Rama is top shelf. Alvey needs a year to get over his knee, had a 390 possession season at the Dogs. McVeigh is a good footballer. Hille is still learning (see Luke Darcy), took up the game at 17, has torn games open against quality opponents. Ben Haynes is a good depth player, has done some good things but I don't think he is in our best 22. Zantuck has played some very good footy at AFL level. Cupido is a 40 goal forward. Thomas will be a player. McPhee and Welsh are top shelf. This is Bullen's year, he has played some good games but needs to do more. Richards has been kept out of the side by Lucas, Lloyd, Wellman etc, this year is his chance. Lovett-Murray played 18 games, and averaged a goal a game, given his lack of game time that is a good return. Lovett should be on the list, has a lot of quality. Make or break for Winderlich and Reynolds, they both have redeeming qualities but they need to put their hand up. Laycock is a gem. We all know the Johns story.

Adrian Wilson is one player I really like. Silky skills, hard at the ball. Unfortunately suffers from a beat of Dean Rioli syndrome. I can see him playing senior football this season once he gets his body right.

A lot of these guys have suffered by a lack of genuine opportunities or injuries (Johns, Reynolds) and I guess you can read a number of things into that. Reynolds, Winderlich, Hille, Laycock were always going to be long term prospects. But having seen all these guys at VFL level, there is a lot to like about most of them.

Longy413 said:
Murphy was our leading possession getting against Melbourne, Solomon third. McVeigh and Mark Johnson also had 20 plus.

Against Geelong Bullen played his best game for the club. McVeigh was outstanding, as was Watson. Murphy once again had 20+ and Rama had a blinder (although mostly at half back).

I think Murphy won our best finals player as well

shiva25 said:
I dont think you quite understand what i am saying.I dont expect to see young players who are in their 1st or 2nd years to make a huge impact.I never said that had to happen.The fact that Jared Rivers has come on a lot quicker than Stanton, Dyson or Watson is proof as it has only taken him a handful of games for us to notice he has the potential to be a player.Stanton & Dyson have played more than a handfull of games and have gained some experience and theres nothing to suggest they will be good players.

So what exactly are you saying then? You've stated that you don't expect 1st year players to make a huge impact but your writing off 2 1st year players. You say Rivers has come on quicker but overlook the fact he is 1 year ahead of Stanton & Dyson. You also overlook the fact that at the same stage of their careers Rivers wasn't good enough to get a regular game in a very ordinary side yet Stanton & Dyson both played several games in a side that played finals. I'm not saying that that automatically means they will be better players than Rivers (only time will tell who has the best career) but I think its only fair to say that both Stanton & Dyson progressed more in their 1st year than Rivers. If you use the same logic your applying to your assesment of Dyson & Stanton then after he's 1st year you would have written off a player who came out the following year & won the rising star. What exactly is it you think Stanton should have been able to achieve in his first year for you to rate him?

Blues_Man said:
His point is that if Hird or Lloyd goes down then the bombers will struggle to be competitive

You take the two best players out of Carlton (whoever they are) - or most teams - and youll struggle.

This has been said countless times. Stupid statement.

I think the Essendon players are very much underrated yet continue to perform year after year and keep the side competitive.

I wouldn't judge them based on a game in February.

Blues_Man said:
His point is that if Hird or Lloyd goes down then the bombers will struggle to be competitive
funny pretty sure 2 best and fairest winners were out of the team too...

and prolly our most skillful player.. and most important last year.. in rioli..

so i guess when you look at it.. if most of out team goes down.. we will be ********...

well isn't that logical ???

mcphee is king said:

so i guess when you look at it.. if most of out team goes down.. we will be ********...

nope .. Lloyd and Hird are vital for your teams chances this year
Lloyd gives you a target and holds your forward line together
Hird not only is a great leader who lifts the players around him ..he has the capacity to get and use the ball brilliantly.
the other players you mentioned are ok ..but you could still be competitive without their influence
rioli is too inconsistent to be indespensable

mcphee is king said:

But it doesnt matter... we dont have any depth remember!!! :eek:

Blues_Man said:
nope .. Lloyd and Hird are vital for your teams chances this year
Lloyd gives you a target and holds your forward line together
Hird not only is a great leader who lifts the players around him ..he has the capacity to get and use the ball brilliantly.
the other players you mentioned are ok ..but you could still be competitive without their influence
rioli is too inconsistent to be indespensable

well seeing as that statement was made today.. and hence there has only been one game this year so far...

would lead a person to think that guy is a moron...

and why the ******** am i arguing the point with you .. you didn't make that post :p

Bombers have no depth as the youngsters have yet to gain the regular experience of playing senior footy and really be tested as to whether they can make it at the highest level, like Carlton in 2002/03 when our senior players were injured we had no one ready to step up when required, hence we finished last and second last.

Jimmy Plunkett was a star around Campo, Ratts, Kouta and Co, but when these guys were injured he was soon found out as will the Essendon fringe players.

My concern is the Bombers will follow the same path as Carlton, eventually the topping up of players and lack of experience of the youngsters will cost them. I see no crop of youngsters like Oleranshaw, Hird, Calthorpe, Mercuri, Misiti or Fletcher coming through the ranks to lift the Bombers this year.

Hope I'm proven wrong, as there is nothing better than defeating Essendon in a final ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's Depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back