Essendon's list vs Melbourne's list

Which list promises more for the future?

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am staggered that Essendon are winning this poll.

Wow.
You have NFI about essendons list or yours for that matter. 4 wins in the last two years is hardly promising and its not a great time to be rebuilding with gc and ws coming in. You will have more of an idea at the conclusion of the split round.

4 wins in the last two years is hardly promising and its not a great time to be rebuilding with gc and ws coming in.

It hasn't been about winning for us over the last 18 months. Our rebuilding will be just about complete at the end of this year. I fear for the clubs that are about to bottom out, but this year will be our third at the bottom. Our top 21 picks include: Morton, Grimes, Maric, Watts, Blease, and Strauss. If we do come last and add Scully and Butcher we'll be well set. The aforementioned players plus Garland, Bennell, Cheney, Frawley, Jurrah, Jetta and Wonaeamiri represent the best list of 20 and unders in the league (Garland is 21).

Essendon's is miles ahead at this stage. They have genuine match winning midfielders in Lovett, McVeigh and to a point Watson. They have genuine KP forwards and their backline is young and promising just like Melbourne's (I do rate Melbourne's higher though). Their ruck division, though lacking depth, is still a class above Melbourne's.

At the moment Melbourne has a lot of potetial players (our top 3 picks of 2008 etc.) but Essendon already have proven players.

You have NFI about essendons list or yours for that matter. 4 wins in the last two years is hardly promising and its not a great time to be rebuilding with gc and ws coming in. You will have more of an idea at the conclusion of the split round.

Well, Melbourne is just about to come out of a rebuilding phase, so GC and WS shouldn't have too much of an impact in that sense. Once we acquire our picks from this upcoming draft, then we should have a list which will enable us to build a very good side.

CC, you make a good point. Essendon has more established players at this point, but I think Melbourne's youth has more potential. At this point, Essendon's list is clearly ahead of Melbourne's, but I don't think that will be the case for too much longer.

Although, I would disagree with your assessment of Watson as a 'genuine match winning midfielder.' A good player, perhaps eeven a great one, but he certainly doesn't possess the qualities that come to mind when you think of a match-winner. Other than that, I think your post is spot on ;)

It hasn't been about winning for us over the last 18 months. Our rebuilding will be just about complete at the end of this year. I fear for the clubs that are about to bottom out, but this year will be our third at the bottom. Our top 21 picks include: Morton, Grimes, Maric, Watts, Blease, and Strauss. If we do come last and add Scully and Butcher we'll be well set. The aforementioned players plus Garland, Bennell, Cheney, Frawley, Jurrah, Jetta and Wonaeamiri represent the best list of 20 and unders in the league (Garland is 21).

Settle pettle.

Alot of those are injured/havn't shown anything at AFL level yet/or havn't even played a game yet.

Blease wont be playing VFL till next year and Strauss has just cracked it into the senior VFL side.

Maric has shown bits and peices, ditto Jetta and Bennell.

You can't automatically asume a player is going to be a superstar because they are high draft picks.

It doesn't work that way.

As realistically, some of those players may never be able to adjust to AFL level, like it is with all young players, some make it - alot of them dont.

You just have to look through the first round of every draft, only a good 50-60% actually make it, and of that, maybe 3-4 are genuinly great players.

You may have alot of players under the age of 20, but its quality not quantity, and there are kids of the same age actually performing and winning games for their clubs.

Settle pettle.

This is easily the most cringeworthy saying ever invented.

Your point is valid about some of them not producing much yet, but it is also worth noting many of them haven't had the opportunity to yet, so anything is possible.

In addition, players such as Morton, Grimes, Cheney, Bennell, Maric and Garland have all played well at AFL level and look as if they have the capability to succeed at that level for a long time.

You would also expect Watts and Strauss to fall within that category in the future, as they are both very talented footballers. Jurrah is more speculative, but has so much ability. With him, it is more a matter of adjustment to a new culture and lifestyle, rather than whether or not he possesses the ability to make it.

In sum, as you put it, it relates to quality not quantity. When you look at the quality of Melbourne's youth, in comparison to that of other clubs, we appear to be in a very good position. In addition, Melbourne has a great quantity of young players too given their recent rebuilding efforts. In this sense, it is about quality and quantity for Melbourne, and those two things, in conjunction, would point to a bright future for the club.

This is easily the most cringeworthy saying ever invented.

Your point is valid about some of them not producing much yet, but it is also worth noting many of them haven't had the opportunity to yet, so anything is possible.

In addition, players such as Morton, Grimes, Cheney, Bennell, Maric and Garland have all played well at AFL level and look as if they have the capability to succeed at that level for a long time.

You would also expect Watts and Strauss to fall within that category in the future, as they are both very talented footballers. Jurrah is more speculative, but has so much ability. With him, it is more a matter of adjustment to a new culture and lifestyle, rather than whether or not he possesses the ability to make it.

In sum, as you put it, it relates to quality not quantity. When you look at the quality of Melbourne's youth, in comparison to that of other clubs, we appear to be in a very good position. In addition, Melbourne has a great quantity of young players too given their recent rebuilding efforts. In this sense, it is about quality and quantity for Melbourne, and those two things, in conjunction, would point to a bright future for the club.

Spin Spin Spin.

Again you've made alot of assumptions.

Opportunities?

I wouldn't of thought there was a better club in Australia atm for gaining opportunity, minus of course those that are injured.

Of all those mentioned

Morton, Grimes and Garland have been the only ones to truly settle in imo.

The signs are there for the other though.

Although the rest wouldn't be getting games for better clubs.

Again, im not having a snipe at your u/20 players, there are definately some good ones there, but more the comment of the best u/20 crop in the country.

Selwood, Gibbs, Kruezer, Palmer, Rioli, Rich, Ziebell, Walker, Cotchin etc etc all fall into this category.

Who? Gumbleton can barely get out on the park... it's not good to have chronic problems in your back, just ask Garry Lyon.

Then Neagle? For Neagle a good game is getting around 5 posessions. No thanks.

Please stop saying shit you dont believe in. In another post i saw you say that gumbleton will be a gun if he gets over injuries and you even compared him to butcher saying butcher is this years gumbleton. As for neagle yeh he doesnt get alot of the ball but he kicks the goals necessary, if he can build up his fitness and get some more games under his belt just watch out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about teams, not losses in the last 2 years.

I am aware.

Please realise that you are about to lose Lloyd, Fletcher and Lucas. Add to that the likes of McVeigh and McPhee who are washed up.

Now realise the Demons are about to add Scully and Butcher to what is already the most talented young list in the comp.

How anyone thinks the Bombers could be better than the Demons in a couple of years has got me beat.

**** me ... i can't wait till the second weekend of this split round. if fletcher and hurley return with mcveigh, prismall and reimers all working on their fitness in the meantime we should kill them.

Yeah, you should kill us. Based on what?

On paper we have you covered on every line.

If you somehow pull out a meaningless win, then good for you.

I guess I will have to comfort myself with the Scully/Butcher combo coming to the MFC.

Ah well...

LOL!
hahahaha ... nice attempt to hedge your bet. if you've got us covered on paper you'll either win or we'll win in a meaningful result.

Ok, so you would rather a meaningless win or picks 1 and 2 in the draft?

Bombers wont make the Finals, so you will finish say 10th, and get pick 9.

You think anyone will remember this game when Scully an Butcher are premiership players in a few years?

Anyway, whats really great is that we will smash you in Round 12 and still get picks 1 and 2. :D

Ok, so you would rather a meaningless win or picks 1 and 2 in the draft?
oh so now you haven't got us covered on paper?

we don't tank ... and any club tanking before the halfway mark of a season is an absolute friggin joke. Unless your club is in utter turmoil (such as richmond's) whereas the demons are as happy now as they've ever been.

oh so now you haven't got us covered on paper?

we don't tank ... and any club tanking before the halfway mark of a season is an absolute friggin joke. Unless your club is in utter turmoil (such as richmond's) whereas the demons are as happy now as they've ever been.

Thats nice.

We will still get Scully and Butcher. :D:D

you guys can take scully and butcher, have a look at geelong, how many top 5 draft picks do they have? pretty much none, yet, they are the best team in the comp, just coz you get the first 2 picks doesnt automatically mean your gona win a flag in 3 years, i feel sorry for people who support melbourne, supporting the other mob every week in a hope that you lose enough games for a priority pick, how fun is that? and if melbourne has essendon covered on every line already, why are melbourne sitting at 1-8 with their only win against richmond and on the bottom of the ladder! while essendon are fighting for a spot in the finals, yep, sound like you have got us covered alright

Dumbass Bomber supporters.
If you really think your team is the best, then it is.
This guy is obviously a troll, just joined recently.
FWIW, Bombers are ahead.
But why are you feeding the troll?

you guys can take scully and butcher, have a look at geelong, how many top 5 draft picks do they have? pretty much none, yet, they are the best team in the comp, just coz you get the first 2 picks doesnt automatically mean your gona win a flag in 3 years, i feel sorry for people who support melbourne, supporting the other mob every week in a hope that you lose enough games for a priority pick, how fun is that? and if melbourne has essendon covered on every line already, why are melbourne sitting at 1-8 with their only win against richmond and on the bottom of the ladder! while essendon are fighting for a spot in the finals, yep, sound like you have got us covered alright

Scarlett and Ablett Jnr. through the F/S rule. Who needs top 5 picks when you have that system working so well for you?

I don't care what you say, having picks 1 & 2 is better than having pick 9, as Essendon probably will. Melbourne will add to an already talented group of young players and have everything in place for a genuine crack at a Premiership within a few seasons. Essendon, on the other hand, are likely to descend into mediocrity and finish there-and-there-abouts every season, without ever achieving anything significant.

I know which scenario is more appealing to me.

Yeah, you should kill us. Based on what?

On paper we have you covered on every line.

If you somehow pull out a meaningless win, then good for you.

I guess I will have to comfort myself with the Scully/Butcher combo coming to the MFC.

Ah well...

Wow, the Hypocrisy is outstanding with this one.

If you have us covered on every line, that makes you favourites. So "Upsetting" Melbourne would rate as a great win by your limited theory. :rolleyes:

Are you the guy that other Melbourne supporters cringe at when they read your shit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's list vs Melbourne's list

Back