Phantom Draft eth-dog's phantom 2024 edition

How many picks will I get right? (Note: Academy and FS correct bidding position)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 New
Right, as usual, I'll be doing a mugs version of a "true" phantom. I'm basing most off the 3 minute YouTube videos I've seen but actual people who watch games like eDPS, Smythe and Chris25. I'll try to knock the first round out tonight but don't expect rounds 2-4 until tomorrow morning to early arvo.

As I said, I'll be going for a true phantom with bid matching, but no live trading because it's gonna be bloody hard this year to keep track. Note that Brisbane probably in deficit within this draft but will almost certainly have live trades to get enough points not to go into deficit next year. Oh well, here goes! And yeah, feel free to use the below table if you want to have a crack at bid matching too.

Screenshot_20241016-225434.png

Round 1:

Pick 1. Richmond: Sam Lalor (GWV Rebels, 187 cm, Inside Midfielder/Medium Forward). Who goes 1? I went Lalor as in the past few weeks it's felt as if there's more and more people thinking it'll be the powerful mid/forward for Vic Country. Some are comparing him to Martin and I think the Tigers won't pass that up.

Pick 2. Brisbane: Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons, 179 cm, IM). North Melbourne bid pick 2, Brisbane match the 2013.6 with picks 27 (703), 34 (542), 42 (395) and 43 (378) and add a 4.4 point surplus. Brisbane probably live trade 27 at this point for more points but to win the flag and then secure arguably the best prospect of the year is great for the Lions, Levi will add to their forward rotation until he breaks into that midfield.

Pick 3. North Melbourne: Finn O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers, 182 cm, IM). Smith or O'Sullivan? The pair make a deadly combination and I struggled to separate the two here so essentially went with my gut on who was going to be taken first of the pair.

Pick 4. Carlton: Jagga Smith (OC, 182 cm, IM). I honestly almost had him going at 1, but make no mistake, Smithnis a star of the future. His best is absolutely lethal and will likely impact for Carlton in round 1 if he ends up here.

Pick 5. Adelaide: Sid Draper (South Adelaide, 180 cm, IM). I know it's a bit cloche for Adelaide to take the SA product but he's also the best player available at this point in a position of need. Rumours of him not wanting to play for Adelaide are exaggerated apparently but they may cause the Crows to look elsewhere.

Pick 6. Melbourne: Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges, 194 cm, IM). Where to go for Melbourne? They have some quality Young key forwards coming through, same with their defence. Given the tumultuous off season over Oliver and Petracca, adding a replacement could be wise.

Pick 7. Richmond: Alixzander Tauru (Bendigo Pioneers, 194 cm, Key Position Defender). I ummed and ahhed over this one a bit. I think Richmond have a really good chance at setting up their spine over the next couple of drafts and Tauru as someone who is primarily a defender but can go forward as well is a prime xandidate for them, and I don't think he gets past the Saints

Pick 8. Gold Coast: Leo Lombard (Burleigh Bombers, 178 cm, IM/SF). St. Kilda bid with pick 8, Gold Coast match 1240.8 points with picks 38 (465), 40 (429), 48 (302) and 58 (170) and gain a 125.2 point surplus. I think the Saints bid here because they need the midfielders to rise up the table and obviously Gold Coast traded out a raft of picks because of this guy so will definitely match.

Pick 9. Essendon: Isaac Kako (Calder Cannons, 175 cm, Small Forward). St Kilda bid with pick 9, Essendon match 1175.2 with picks 29 (653) and 32 (584) and gain a 61.8 point surplus. I think St Kilda bid here because everyone knows Essendon match. Kako is tailor made for the bombers, the best small forward in the draft. I do think Essendon likely trade 28 and 31 out for a F1 at this point to trade back into the draft at some point around pick 15-20 as the rest of their picks can match this.

Pick 10. St. Kilda: Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power, 183 cm, Outside Midfielder). Saints get a midfielder that has received multiple comparisons to Essendon captain Zach Merrett. St Kilda need to add class to the midfield and he's the classiest mid left.

Pick 11. St. Kilda: Luke Trainor (SD, 194 cm, KPD). I think St Kilda need some Young key defenders coming through and Trainor is probably the best of this draft class alongside Tauru, who they were probably be hoping for here.

Pick 12. Melbourne: Murphy Reid (SD, 180 cm, IM/SF). Reid and Langford was a genuine 50/50 at this point, Reid I simply think is the better player and adding the big bodied Amillie already makes me lean more Reid.

Pick 13. Richmond: Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays, 190 cm, IM/MF). I almost pulled the trigger on Langford at pick 7 but thought he was more likely to last than Tauru for the Tigers. Langford adds height and power to the Rixhmond midfield and forward line and is probably the perfect rotational piece for Lalor.

Pick 14. Richmond: Harry Armstrong (SD, 195 cm, Key Position Forward). The best key forward of this class, I think taking Armstrong here is the obvious choice, he can take a mark, solid set shot and is the man for them in my opinion.

Pick 15. West Coast: Bo Allen (Peel Thunder, 191 cm, Half Back/IM). More class is needed off half back for the Eagles and Allen more than provides that, and he could well end up in the mids down the track too.

Pick 16. Port Adelaide: Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers, 199 cm, Key Position Utility). Hard to say when Whitlock goes but I think Port really really need to bring in a key defender and that's honestly where I see Whitlock ending up.

Pick 17. Brisbane: Sam Marshall (SD, 185 cm, HB/OM). Fremantle bid with pick 17, Brisbane match 820 points with picks 44 (362), 54 (220), 59 (158) and their 4.4 Point surplus, go into a 75.6 point deficit for 2025. I think Freo bids because a classy half back who can impact straight away will help in their September push but Brisbane probably get a pick upgrade here to cocer off this small deficit.

Pick 18. Fremantle: Tobie Travaglia (Bendigo Pioneers, 187 cm, HB). Travaglia is the perfect guy for Freo as a half back who can run and carry and kick the ball really well, so I feel like if he lasts to this point he's not gonna get passed up here.

Pick 19. Greater Western Sydney: Tom Gross (OC, 181 cm, IM). The next mid off the ranks, and the area the Giants most need. Mids are really important for GWS, having lost Peatling without a direct replacement.

Pick 20. Greater Western Sydney: Hamish Davis (Claremont, 190 cm, MF/IM). Davis is an interesting one, he is very talented but is he a forward or mid? I lean forward but he could well end up as a very food mid.

Pick 21. Western Bulldogs: Joe Berry (MB, 180 cm, SF). Late? Yeah, but the only spot I honestly see him going earlier than this is the Tigers last brace of picks.

Pick 22. Richmond: Jobe Shanahan (BP, 194 cm, KPF). Jobe Shanahan can seriouslymplay, as shown by his 11 VFL games in 3 games. He and Armstrong could make a very dangerous combination in the future if it works out this way.

Pick 23. Sydney: Jack Whitlock (MB, 199 cm, KPF). I think this probably gets traded but Whitlock is a very good player and if they keep the pick, he'd be the right one to pick.

Pick 24. Richmond: Taj Hotton (SD, 182 cm, SF/IM). Hotton here allows the Tigers to somewhat replace Bolton but not as good, the kid can add a lot to their side if they haven't traded out.

Pick 25. Greater Western Sydney: Harrison Oliver (SD, 181 cm, HB). I think more class off half back is something they need to address, plus he's probably the best available at this pick too.

Pick 26. Sydney: Angus Clarke (Glenelg, 188 cm, HB). Again, I think this pick gets traded but Clarke adds some class off half back for the Swans.

Pick 27. Richmond: Alex Dodson (Sturt, 203 cm, Ruck). How do you cap it off? The best ruck in the class is a nice way to round out day 1 with two key forwards, a key defender and plenty of mids, this seemed the natural choice.

Last edited:
Round 2 New
Round 2

Pick 28. Richmond: Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle, 190 cm, IM).

Pick 29. Western Bulldogs: Cooper Hynes (DS, 190 cm, IM/MF).

Pick 30. West Coast: Hugh Boxshall (CL, 187 cm, IM).

Pick 31. Carlton: Ben Camporeale (Glenelg, 186 cm, OM). Port Adelaide bid pick 32, Carlton match 366 points with pick 38 (465) and add a 99 point surplus.

Pick 32. Port Adelaide: Evan Bradley (North Adelaide, 174 cm, SF).

Pick 33. Fremantle: Jack Ough (GWV, 194 cm, Medium Defender/Inside Midfielder).

Pick 34. St. Kilda: Christian Moraes (ER, 183 cm, OM/SF).

Pick 35. Hawthorn: Jesse Dattoli (Northern Knights, 179 cm, SF/OM).

Pick 36. Western Bulldogs: Oliver Hannaford (GWV, 180 cm, SF/HB).

Pick 37. Port Adelaide: Lachie Jacques (Geelong Falcons, 184 cm, HB).

Pick 38. Greater Western Sydney: Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth, 199 cm, KPF/Ruck)

Pick 39. Essendon: Jonty Faull (GWV, 195 cm, KPF).

Last edited:
Round 3 New
Round 3

Pick 40. Sydney: Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle, 187 cm, HB/OM)

Pick 41. Geelong: Josh Murphy (MB, 190 cm, MF).

Pick 42. Essendon: James Barrat (BP, 193 cm, MD).

Pick 43. St. Kilda: Thomas Sims (NK, 199 cm, KPF/Ruck).

Pick 44. Western Bulldogs: Xavier Ivisic (GF, 180 cm, IM).

Pick 45. Carlton: Lucas Camporeale (GL, 184 cm, HB). Port Adelaide bid pick 45, Carlton match 150 points with pick 55 (207) and add to their surplus to make it 156 points.

Pick 46. Adelaide: Tyler Welsh (Woodville-West Torrens, 191 cm, MF). Port Adelaide bid pick 46, Adelaide match 134 points with pick 56 (194) and gain a 60 point surplus.

Pick 47. Port Adelaide: Archer Day-Wicks (BP, 186 cm, SF/OM).

Pick 48. Collingwood: Harry O'Farrell (CC, 196 cm, KPD).

Pick 49. West Coast: Malakai Champion (Subiaco, 172 cm, SF). Essendon bid with pick 49, West Coast match 90 points with pick 64 (101) and go into a 11 point surplus.

Pick 50. Essendon: Ned Bowman (Norwood, 186 cm, MF).

Pick 51. Essendon: Pass

Pick 51. Collingwood: Charlie Nicholls (Central District, 197 cm, KPF).

Pick 52. Greater Western Sydney: Jasper Alger (OC, 183 cm, SF/OM).

Pick 53. Geelong: Rhys Unwin (GWV, 178 cm, SF)

Pick 54. Collingwood: Pass

Pick 54. Sydney: Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL, 180 cm, OM)

Last edited:

Round 4 New
Round 4

Pick 55. North Melbourne: Lucas Ravenhill (CL, 199 cm, KPF).

Pick 56. Fremantle: Zak Johnson (NK, 185 cm, OM/MF).

Pick 57. Carlton: Liam McMahon (Carlton VFL, 199 cm, KPF).

Pick 58. Gold Coast: Noah Mraz (DS, 197 cm, KPD).

Pick 59. Hawthorn: Austin van der Struyf (CL, 179 cm, HB).

Pick 60. Greater Western Sydney: Pass

Pick 60. Geelong: Pass

Pick 60. Gold Coast: Pass

Pick 60. Hawthorn: Pass

Last edited:
Great job, but absolutely hate it from a Melbourne perspective.

Reid is smart but so slow. And I can see Smillie being pedestrian at the next level.

I'm hoping for two of Langford, Tauru, Lindsay or Berry.

I know I just questioned Reid's pace and here I am hoping for Langford, but I don't see a lack of pace hurting Langford with all the other attributes he invokes.

Langford and Berry my dream combo for 5 and 9.

Great job, but absolutely hate it from a Melbourne perspective.

Reid is smart but so slow. And I can see Smillie being pedestrian at the next level.

I'm hoping for two of Langford, Tauru, Lindsay or Berry.

I know I just questioned Reid's pace and here I am hoping for Langford, but I don't see a lack of pace hurting Langford with all the other attributes he invokes.

Langford and Berry my dream combo for 5 and 9.
Yeah, Reid and Langford were a tough split. I get what you're saying there. Smillie I think is the best player at that pick and I think the midfield is your biggest downfall.

Round 2

Pick 31. Carlton: Ben Camporeale (Glenelg, 186 cm, OM). Port Adelaide bid pick 32, Carlton match 366 points with pick 38 (465) and add a 99 point surplus.

** I doubt that Port will draft a small forward here as they have a NGA small forward prospect (Benny Barrett) who looks very promising, they also traded in Joe Richards and recruited 2 small forwards in last year’s draft. This on top of Willie Rioli, Frankie Evans , Quentin Narkle and Jed McEntee still currently on their list.

Round 2

Not sure if Hawks will go for Dattoli when talls like O'Farell, Mraz, Faull, Gerreyn are still on board.

Also see no mention of Stumpf, don't rate him? Seems to have done well in the combine and see name in top 30 on few phantoms

Right, as usual, I'll be doing a mugs version of a "true" phantom. I'm basing most off the 3 minute YouTube videos I've seen but actual people who watch games like eDPS, Smythe and Chris25. I'll try to knock the first round out tonight but don't expect rounds 2-4 until tomorrow morning to early arvo.

As I said, I'll be going for a true phantom with bid matching, but no live trading because it's gonna be bloody hard this year to keep track. Note that Brisbane probably in deficit within this draft but will almost certainly have live trades to get enough points not to go into deficit next year. Oh well, here goes! And yeah, feel free to use the below table if you want to have a crack at bid matching too.

View attachment 2145114

Round 1:

Pick 1. Richmond: Sam Lalor (GWV Rebels, 187 cm, Inside Midfielder/Medium Forward). Who goes 1? I went Lalor as in the past few weeks it's felt as if there's more and more people thinking it'll be the powerful mid/forward for Vic Country. Some are comparing him to Martin and I think the Tigers won't pass that up.

Pick 2. Brisbane: Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons, 179 cm, IM). North Melbourne bid pick 2, Brisbane match the 2013.6 with picks 27 (703), 34 (542), 42 (395) and 43 (378) and add a 4.4 point surplus. Brisbane probably live trade 27 at this point for more points but to win the flag and then secure arguably the best prospect of the year is great for the Lions, Levi will add to their forward rotation until he breaks into that midfield.

Pick 3. North Melbourne: Finn O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers, 182 cm, IM). Smith or O'Sullivan? The pair make a deadly combination and I struggled to separate the two here so essentially went with my gut on who was going to be taken first of the pair.

Pick 4. Carlton: Jagga Smith (OC, 182 cm, IM). I honestly almost had him going at 1, but make no mistake, Smithnis a star of the future. His best is absolutely lethal and will likely impact for Carlton in round 1 if he ends up here.

Pick 5. Adelaide: Sid Draper (South Adelaide, 180 cm, IM). I know it's a bit cloche for Adelaide to take the SA product but he's also the best player available at this point in a position of need. Rumours of him not wanting to play for Adelaide are exaggerated apparently but they may cause the Crows to look elsewhere.

Pick 6. Melbourne: Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges, 194 cm, IM). Where to go for Melbourne? They have some quality Young key forwards coming through, same with their defence. Given the tumultuous off season over Oliver and Petracca, adding a replacement could be wise.

Pick 7. Richmond: Alixzander Tauru (Bendigo Pioneers, 194 cm, Key Position Defender). I ummed and ahhed over this one a bit. I think Richmond have a really good chance at setting up their spine over the next couple of drafts and Tauru as someone who is primarily a defender but can go forward as well is a prime xandidate for them, and I don't think he gets past the Saints

Pick 8. Gold Coast: Leo Lombard (Burleigh Bombers, 178 cm, IM/SF). St. Kilda bid with pick 8, Gold Coast match 1240.8 points with picks 38 (465), 40 (429), 48 (302) and 58 (170) and gain a 125.2 point surplus. I think the Saints bid here because they need the midfielders to rise up the table and obviously Gold Coast traded out a raft of picks because of this guy so will definitely match.

Pick 9. Essendon: Isaac Kako (Calder Cannons, 175 cm, Small Forward). St Kilda bid with pick 9, Essendon match 1175.2 with picks 29 (653) and 32 (584) and gain a 61.8 point surplus. I think St Kilda bid here because everyone knows Essendon match. Kako is tailor made for the bombers, the best small forward in the draft. I do think Essendon likely trade 28 and 31 out for a F1 at this point to trade back into the draft at some point around pick 15-20 as the rest of their picks can match this.

Pick 10. St. Kilda: Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power, 183 cm, Outside Midfielder). Saints get a midfielder that has received multiple comparisons to Essendon captain Zach Merrett. St Kilda need to add class to the midfield and he's the classiest mid left.

Pick 11. St. Kilda: Luke Trainor (SD, 194 cm, KPD). I think St Kilda need some Young key defenders coming through and Trainor is probably the best of this draft class alongside Tauru, who they were probably be hoping for here.

Pick 12. Melbourne: Murphy Reid (SD, 180 cm, IM/SF). Reid and Langford was a genuine 50/50 at this point, Reid I simply think is the better player and adding the big bodied Amillie already makes me lean more Reid.

Pick 13. Richmond: Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays, 190 cm, IM/MF). I almost pulled the trigger on Langford at pick 7 but thought he was more likely to last than Tauru for the Tigers. Langford adds height and power to the Rixhmond midfield and forward line and is probably the perfect rotational piece for Lalor.

Pick 14. Richmond: Harry Armstrong (SD, 195 cm, Key Position Forward). The best key forward of this class, I think taking Armstrong here is the obvious choice, he can take a mark, solid set shot and is the man for them in my opinion.

Pick 15. West Coast: Bo Allen (Peel Thunder, 191 cm, Half Back/IM). More class is needed off half back for the Eagles and Allen more than provides that, and he could well end up in the mids down the track too.

Pick 16. Port Adelaide: Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers, 199 cm, Key Position Utility). Hard to say when Whitlock goes but I think Port really really need to bring in a key defender and that's honestly where I see Whitlock ending up.

Pick 17. Brisbane: Sam Marshall (SD, 185 cm, HB/OM). Fremantle bid with pick 17, Brisbane match 820 points with picks 44 (362), 54 (220), 59 (158) and their 4.4 Point surplus, go into a 75.6 point deficit for 2025. I think Freo bids because a classy half back who can impact straight away will help in their September push but Brisbane probably get a pick upgrade here to cocer off this small deficit.

Pick 18. Fremantle: Tobie Travaglia (Bendigo Pioneers, 187 cm, HB). Travaglia is the perfect guy for Freo as a half back who can run and carry and kick the ball really well, so I feel like if he lasts to this point he's not gonna get passed up here.

Pick 19. Greater Western Sydney: Tom Gross (OC, 181 cm, IM). The next mid off the ranks, and the area the Giants most need. Mids are really important for GWS, having lost Peatling without a direct replacement.

Pick 20. Greater Western Sydney: Hamish Davis (Claremont, 190 cm, MF/IM). Davis is an interesting one, he is very talented but is he a forward or mid? I lean forward but he could well end up as a very food mid.

Pick 21. Western Bulldogs: Joe Berry (MB, 180 cm, SF). Late? Yeah, but the only spot I honestly see him going earlier than this is the Tigers last brace of picks.

Pick 22. Richmond: Jobe Shanahan (BP, 194 cm, KPF). Jobe Shanahan can seriouslymplay, as shown by his 11 VFL games in 3 games. He and Armstrong could make a very dangerous combination in the future if it works out this way.

Pick 23. Sydney: Jack Whitlock (MB, 199 cm, KPF). I think this probably gets traded but Whitlock is a very good player and if they keep the pick, he'd be the right one to pick.

Pick 24. Richmond: Taj Hotton (SD, 182 cm, SF/IM). Hotton here allows the Tigers to somewhat replace Bolton but not as good, the kid can add a lot to their side if they haven't traded out.

Pick 25. Greater Western Sydney: Harrison Oliver (SD, 181 cm, HB). I think more class off half back is something they need to address, plus he's probably the best available at this pick too.

Pick 26. Sydney: Angus Clarke (Glenelg, 188 cm, HB). Again, I think this pick gets traded but Clarke adds some class off half back for the Swans.

Pick 27. Richmond: Alex Dodson (Sturt, 203 cm, Ruck). How do you cap it off? The best ruck in the class is a nice way to round out day 1 with two key forwards, a key defender and plenty of mids, this seemed the natural choice.
You have us taking 3 KPPs and a ruck, I just don't think we'll go that tall in a draft that looks more geared towards the mids and flankers.

2 talls in our first 6 picks I can see, the rest will be mids or hybrid / flanker types.

You have us taking 3 KPPs and a ruck, I just don't think we'll go that tall in a draft that looks more geared towards the mids and flankers.

2 talls in our first 6 picks I can see, the rest will be mids or hybrid / flanker types.
Yeah I'm old school in that I think you can set up your spine in one draft but I also think you might trade picks forward and get a decent haul for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2145114

Round 1:

I would actually be pretty happy with all those picks for the Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Phantom Draft eth-dog's phantom 2024 edition

Back