F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah either way a complete mess and no one is leaving this with their reputation enhanced - not Piastri, not Webber, not Alpine, not Otmar, and perhaps not even Alonso if the rumour is correct that he deliberately announced his move one day after Piastri's deadline.

The only reason you'd turn down an Alpine seat (especially given they have funded your pathway to F1) is if you had a better seat secured. Right now that would mean

Mercedes (Hamilton going on next year ?)
Ferrari (Can't see them changing this lineup)
Red Bull (the Alpha Tauri pathway could be possible)

McLaren for me is a line ball decision, and at this point I would say you'd rather be in an Alpine (certainly not worth burning bridges anyway).

I don't think either party (Alpine or Oscar) come out of this looking that great tbh.

The Red Bull linkage with Webber and the lack of an up and coming RB academy driver (that is F1 quality) makes a lot of sense.

I think we all are hoping this kind of scenario is true - though I think it is unlikely.

It really seems as though he had nothing guaranteed from Alpine next year, who looked like they wanted to go round again with Alonso.

He wanted a seat in 2023 so has sought to get out of his contract and get a seat elsewhere - it appears as though he got that with McLaren (and that perhaps Alpine agreed to that - understanding that a seat in F1 is better than the sidelines).

Then Alonso jumps ship for a multi-year deal and Alpine want Piastri to fulfil his contract and drive for them. They think to themselves - "well he did/does have a contract and a midfield seat is a midfield seat - which is a different scenario to leaving because you don't have a seat" (which is essentially what Otmar has said publically). Problem is, Piastri has committed elsewhere and it seems with Alonso leaving and not returning calls and Piastri coming out so strong that Otmar has not handled his drivers well at all - probably a pretty toxic set up. Piastri tells him he is still going. Alpine announce him anyway in an effort to amp the pressure for him to stay - using the existing contract to bind him. Piastri comes out strong denying he will drive for Alpine.

As you say, looks like it has not been handled well on all sides - particularly Alpine but Piastri didn't need to burn bridges in his response. Hopefully it is for a top seat like RB but seems unlikely. Only downside of Red Bull is Max is definately the best driver in the world in my view and is still young so has a long future, which could spell a long stint as #2 (and not looking that good compared to an all time great) - but it would still be a great option with podiums and wins there for the taking. Still, given the time he made an agreement elsewhere it would appear even more unlikely as wasn't Perez performing pretty well until more recently?

I think we all are hoping this kind of scenario is true - though I think it is unlikely.

It really seems as though he had nothing guaranteed from Alpine next year, who looked like they wanted to go round again with Alonso.

He wanted a seat in 2023 so has sought to get out of his contract and get a seat elsewhere - it appears as though he got that with McLaren (and that perhaps Alpine agreed to that - understanding that a seat in F1 is better than the sidelines).

Then Alonso jumps ship for a multi-year deal and Alpine want Piastri to fulfil his contract and drive for them. They think to themselves - "well he did/does have a contract and a midfield seat is a midfield seat - which is a different scenario to leaving because you don't have a seat" (which is essentially what Otmar has said publically). Problem is, Piastri has committed elsewhere and it seems with Alonso leaving and not returning calls and Piastri coming out so strong that Otmar has not handled his drivers well at all - probably a pretty toxic set up. Piastri tells him he is still going. Alpine announce him anyway in an effort to amp the pressure for him to stay - using the existing contract to bind him. Piastri comes out strong denying he will drive for Alpine.

As you say, looks like it has not been handled well on all sides - particularly Alpine but Piastri didn't need to burn bridges in his response. Hopefully it is for a top seat like RB but seems unlikely. Only downside of Red Bull is Max is definately the best driver in the world in my view and is still young so has a long future, which could spell a long stint as #2 (and not looking that good compared to an all time great) - but it would still be a great option with podiums and wins there for the taking. Still, given the time he made an agreement elsewhere it would appear even more unlikely as wasn't Perez performing pretty well until more recently?

Surely there'd be an out clause for all reserve and test drivers where if they get offered a full time seat, they leave without penalty - otherwise, why would you sign on when there's no guarantee that if one of the two lead drivers leaves, you are never guaranteed their place? As you said, always better to have a seat somewhere than to continue as a reserve or test driver even if that team was Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes.

I'm inclined to think there is a pre-contract with McLaren and they were finalising the details of Ricciardo's exit until Alpine unilaterally announced Piastri.

I don't know how it works in F1 but a similar clause exists for AFL assistant coaches if they get offered a head coach gig - no one wants to be the team that blocks an employee from signing on for their ultimate goal in their career.

Surely there'd be an out clause for all reserve and test drivers where if they get offered a full time seat, they leave without penalty - otherwise, why would you sign on when there's no guarantee that if one of the two lead drivers leaves, you are never guaranteed their place? As you said, always better to have a seat somewhere than to continue as a reserve or test driver even if that team was Red Bull/Ferrari/Mercedes.

I'm inclined to think there is a pre-contract with McLaren and they were finalising the details of Ricciardo's exit until Alpine unilaterally announced Piastri.

I don't know how it works in F1 but a similar clause exists for AFL assistant coaches if they get offered a head coach gig - no one wants to be the team that blocks an employee from signing on for their ultimate goal in their career.

Yes, exactly. Now it appears Alpine are trying to turn around and pressure him to stick to his contract, even with the clauses that allow him to go (whilst simultaneously seeing if they can get Alonso back). The announcement a tactic to force his hand further. Understandable response from Piastri, but really should have been more diplomatic/professional. The Alonso element also really makes it feel like they wanted to 'stick it to Alpine/Otmar' which is interesting - I wonder what caused that?

Yes, exactly. Now it appears Alpine are trying to turn around and pressure him to stick to his contract, even with the clauses that allow him to go (whilst simultaneously seeing if they can get Alonso back). The announcement a tactic to force his hand further. Understandable response from Piastri, but really should have been more diplomatic/professional. The Alonso element also really makes it feel like they wanted to 'stick it to Alpine/Otmar' which is interesting - I wonder what caused that?

The similar situation with the Alex Palou drama in Indycar is highly amusing too.

The scenes if at the start of 2023 McLaren has 3 drivers and 2 seats, while Alpine has 1 driver and 2 seats...

Might be my last post as now it's all discussion and no real response from any of the Piastri/Ricciardo/Alpine/McLaren camps but my prediction is:
  • Ricciardo stays at McLaren, and underperforms for another year but BigFooty finds a way to excuse him as Norris keeps raking in the points
  • Alpine go with Gasly for the dual French driver combination, despite the rumour they hate each other
  • Red Bull in a surprise announces they've scooped up Piastri, after all what could go wrong with an Australian as number 2 to the wunderkind?
  • Toro Rosso takes Perez to replace Gasly, because why the f*** not
  • Zak Brown and Otmar Szafnauer have a fist fight in the paddock at Spa
  • Ferrari somehow conspired to lose Carlos Sainz to Alfa Romeo to replace Zhou next year
  • Alonso and Vettel laugh it up on holidays together

I hope Oscar and Mark know what they are doing...
The more I think about the more im convinced that Piastri signed a contract with either Mclaren or Alpha Tauri on August 1st. That Piastri statement is so definitive that lawyers would have guaranteed he was able write what he did.

Alpine have doubled down by stating they 'believe they are legally correct'.

This makes little sense to me - whoever heard of an option for a work contract extension that can only be exercised by the employer and without the employee's consent? Did Piastri sign for a contract where Alpine had sole rights to his contract for 2023 even if he didn't want it?

Lol, you know its off to a great start when you have to mention the words "we believe we're legally correct"..... 😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Piastri 100% has a seat secured for next season, which is why he made the statement. The only thing left to announce is where.

I’m not sure it is Mclaren. Oscar only has a seat there if Ricciardo has agreed to leave, and he’d only do that if he’s secured another drive. It can’t be Alpine given they didn’t think they needed a driver two days ago. So unless Ric has signed with someone like Haas or Williams, Oscar isn’t going to Mclaren.

Alpine can double down on their insane statement and try and force a young, unproven driver that doesn’t want to be there to stay on a legal technicality, or they can focus on trying to find a decent replacement.

I hope Oscar and Mark know what they are doing...
webber in particular.

the story i heard is that alpine had to take-up the option on oscar’s contract no later than 1 august. they were so blindsided by alonso’s defection they neglected 2 give effect 2 it thereby invalidating the contract.

unless alpine can find a way around paying danny ric the reported 25 mill i reckon he stays in what would b a terrible environment. which leaves oscar in the poo.

I wonder what the hold-up is on Piastri/Webber just coming out and saying where he'll be driving next year? It's obvious he has a drive with someone, so why the hold-up on the announcement?

As much as I'm gobsmacked that McL are willing to drop circa $20 mil on DR's contract, you'd think the longer this takes, the more likely it's them, and the hold-up is all of the shenanigans going on with their Indy Car contracts and the uncertainty caused by that.

I wonder what the hold-up is on Piastri/Webber just coming out and saying where he'll be driving next year? It's obvious he has a drive with someone, so why the hold-up on the announcement?

As much as I'm gobsmacked that McL are willing to drop circa $20 mil on DR's contract, you'd think the longer this takes, the more likely it's them, and the hold-up is all of the shenanigans going on with their Indy Car contracts and the uncertainty caused by that.
Could be that the team has yet to tell the current driver that they're out of a drive.

If Alpine really did miss the deadline for giving Piastri a drive, ten that is madness. then, if they really did announce him without a signed contract, that is also madness. If Piastri has signed to drive for Mclaren next year, does Daniel see out the year?

Could be that the team has yet to tell the current driver that they're out of a drive.
Or yet to fully iron out all the wrinkles of where that driver moves to.

This mess has throw a massive spanner in the works.

Imagine if the deal was Ric -> Haas and they pay most of his contract for 2023.

With this news, Haas (or whoever it is) would have McLaren over the barrel... who in turn have Alpine over the barrell.

Silly season has never been so juicy.

With this news, Haas (or whoever it is) would have McLaren over the barrel... who in turn have Alpine over the barrell.

You can say Piastri is an inexperienced rookie and Webber is an incompetent manager - but surely both would not simultaneously release that kind of statement without a guarantee of a seat somewhere. It makes no sense if they don't have a guaranteed seat as they have no leverage otherwise - Piastri is a hot commodity but he's still a newbie with no F1 races under his belt.

Imagine if Christian Horner and Helmut Marko sent out a cryptic tweet right about now - are we sure it must be with McLaren if Piastri is refusing to drive for Alpine next year?

Haas can't afford it. They are pretty much the poorest team in F1.

are we sure it must be with McLaren if Piastri is refusing to drive for Alpine next year?

No. I personally like the Piastri to RB and driving for Alpha Tauri until Checo's contract is up rumour.

McLaren have had the opportunity to be vague about Ricciardo for next year, and they have done everything but that.
Usually if the driver is on the out, they will not use definitive language about the following year.

Would be amazing if Daniel can turn his form around (more unlikely than likely at this point), and then you get Oscar in a competitive car.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back