F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zhou and Kmag are done.

Should VCARB sign Lawson as expected, Bottas now seems to be the defacto favourite for Sauber, based on no other options for either. Otherwise Sauber also are keen on Lawson.

Alpine looks to be between Doohan and Mick Schumacher, with the two having a recent shootout test session.

VCARB will be Lawson, with DR's career now resting on whether Perez is booted or not.

Im not sure lawson is certain for vcarb at all.

Why are we not discussing VER to Merc, Sergio to be #1 RB driver?
While Merc have an open seat, and Max snr continuing to agitate, it should be firmly on the table.
It has been discussed, but until there is any legitimate source or article attributed to it, its nothing more than an unlikely possibility.

This is one of the problem thesedays with the driver market. Sponsor money matters more than ability.
These days?

Arguably it matters less than at any time before, given that EVERY F1 team is now profitable - for the first time in the sport's history.

F1 has always had "pay to drive" drivers, filling the teams at the back of the pack. Stroll & Checo are far from the worst of them.

A - What the Hell does that mean?
B - Where does that leave Lawson?
Probably means that there is some truth that Perez was gone until Liberty Media stepped in.

For 2025 I’m guessing:
Perez Gone
RIC to RBR
Lawson to VCARB

Would be the best move for the team IMHO.

But then again, money talks as we've seen int eh alst 24 hours so maybe it means Max to Merc and Perez is number 1 RBR driver :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
Probably means that there is some truth that Perez was gone until Liberty Media stepped in.

For 2025 I’m guessing:
Perez Gone
RIC to RBR
Lawson to VCARB

Would be the best move for the team IMHO.

But then again, money talks as we've seen int eh alst 24 hours so maybe it means Max to Merc and Perez is number 1 RBR driver :sweatsmile:
I think they would have gone hard at Sainz if there was even the vaguest hint of Max leaving. The last thing they want is to be stuck with 2x B-drivers driving the best cars in the competition.

I'm still struggling to see the logic in them keeping Perez for now, only to ditch him at the end of the season. It just makes no sense to me. Then again, maybe there's more going on behind the scenes that I'm unaware of.

I think they would have gone hard at Sainz if there was even the vaguest hint of Max leaving. The last thing they want is to be stuck with 2x B-drivers driving the best cars in the competition.

I'm still struggling to see the logic in them keeping Perez for now, only to ditch him at the end of the season. It just makes no sense to me. Then again, maybe there's more going on behind the scenes that I'm unaware of.
Matches up with the report posted last page that suggested RBR were going to dump him until Liberty media stepped in and asked them not to due to the upcoming Mexican GP/US leg.

Perez has massive following in Mexico and the southern US states, he also has a brand new Disney documentary that came out today/next few days etc, its all about the $$$ right now.

Perez will probably announce a retirement either at the Mexican GP or end of the year, means he gets a graceful exit from F1, Liberty/RBR etc all get their money and RBR get their driver swap for the 2025 seasons with RIC stepping up to the plate.

The general consensus around the F1 paddock was that Perez was 100% gone until something last minute stopped that decisions from being made:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 10 races to go, is Ricciardo $33M better than Perez?
Although Checo's personal sponsorship is reportedly worth $33M, Red Bull would be forfeiting a lot less than that if they were to sack him now.

Checo has already been employed for 14 of 24 races, and 7 of 12 calendar months. Red Bull would be entitled to keep some of the $33M on a pro-rata basis - either 14/24 or 7/12 of the $33M, depending on how the contract is worded.

His replacement (Lawson) may, or may not, also bring personal sponsorship to the table. Ricciardo would be Checo's replacement in the Red Bull, but that's just swapping seats within the same organisation. The question is how much additional cash Lawson brings to the table. Lawson is already employed by the Red Bull organisation (of which VCARB is a subsidiary), but it's possible that his sponsorship contracts may allow for increased funds if/when he gets to drive in F1 races.

The worst case scenario for Red Bull is that they'd be around $15M out of pocket in 2024 by sacking Checo. The best case is probably closer to $10M. They'd be out close to the full $33M in 2025 if they sack him at the end of the season.

Bizzare turn of events. I really thought Ric was a done deal. Shame.

Vibe still suggest it'll be a goer 2025.
But if Perez get's his **** together maybe he'll save himself for 2025.

I dont think Red Bull will want to do it all again though.

Bizzare turn of events. I really thought Ric was a done deal. Shame.

Vibe still suggest it'll be a goer 2025.
But if Perez get's his **** together maybe he'll save himself for 2025.

I dont think Red Bull will want to do it all again though.
Never mind. 4 weeks ago, most had DRic out on his arse and Lawson taking his spot. Silly season is about right.

Add Lawson and we'll have trans Tasman drivers taking up 20% of the grid

Great for those of us that live in this part of the world, but I can't imagine Liberty Media would be that thrilled.

20% of the grid accounting for only a miniscule portion of the worldwide market. Not part of their business plan I would have thought.

If rumours are correct, they've already been able to exert influence in the Perez/RedBull driver saga. Presumably due to the $$$ they make out of the Mexican /Latin American market.

Where does it end?

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back