F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

horner is being very patient.

Kind of - watching how much Max is having to wrestle the car kind of indicates it's not easy to drive. No one is stepping into it and going instantly better. That Red Bull in the hands of anyone other than Max is going to struggle.

In fairness, five points finishes in his last six races is doing his job

Not really. His job is to be up the front helping Max not finishing in the mid-lower portion of the points places. He should be doing what Bottas used to do at Merc. Be up the front near or on the podium and capitalise when Lewis has a bad race or DNF. McLaren are closing in on the constructors title extremely quickly because of how bad Checo is.

The problem is now RBs car is now demonstrably worse than Mclaren's so replacing him isn't going to stop them losing ground in the constructors.

I don't know if it is demonstrably worse. It obviously isn't as good but it is still the 2nd or 3rd best on the grid.

I don't know if it is demonstrably worse. It obviously isn't as good but it is still the 2nd or 3rd best on the grid.
Put a driver not named Max Verstappen in the car, and I'm guessing they're not finishing anywhere near the podium.

The current Red Bull car is well off the pace - it's only Max's ability to drive the wheels off it that's keeping them competitive.

Put a driver not named Max Verstappen in the car, and I'm guessing they're not finishing anywhere near the podium.

The current Red Bull car is well off the pace - it's only Max's ability to drive the wheels off it that's keeping them competitive.

Possibly which is why them dumping Checo would have given greater clarity into just where the car is. I still think even without taking Max into account it is still better than every car bar McLaren and Mercedes at the moment.

Possibly which is why them dumping Checo would have given greater clarity into just where the car is. I still think even without taking Max into account it is still better than every car bar McLaren and Mercedes at the moment.
I'm not convinced that it isn't behind the Ferrari cars as well.

That's the definition of 'demonstrably'.

1724820710650.png

The Red Bull is clearly inferior to the McLaren currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. His job is to be up the front helping Max not finishing in the mid-lower portion of the points places. He should be doing what Bottas used to do at Merc. Be up the front near or on the podium and capitalise when Lewis has a bad race or DNF. McLaren are closing in on the constructors title extremely quickly because of how bad Checo is.
Would Ricciardo or Lawson be doing any better than Perez over that time frame? Arguably not. It looks bad on paper but remember the drivers in between are Piastri, Hamilton, Russell, Leclerc and Sainz. Perez is doing better over the last few races than I thought he was.

Would Ricciardo or Lawson be doing any better than Perez over that time frame? Arguably not. It looks bad on paper but remember the drivers in between are Piastri, Hamilton, Russell, Leclerc and Sainz. Perez is doing better over the last few races than I thought he was.
Given that Perez' failures have largely been the result of qualifying disasters, frequently failing to get out of Q1 - it's likely that Logan Sargeant could have done better on occasion.

Given that Perez' failures have largely been the result of qualifying disasters, frequently failing to get out of Q1 - it's likely that Logan Sargeant could have done better on occasion.
There's discussion and then there's taking the piss. I'm no Perez fan but he's doing better than I thought.

And how many times has Aston Martin/RP won a race since Stroll has been there? Once.

The guy does have talent. He beat George Russell (4 months his senior) in the 2016 FIA F3 European Championship.
All F1 drivers have talent but Stroll would be easily in the bottom half of the drivers on the grid.

I'm not convinced that it isn't behind the Ferrari cars as well.
I am of the thinking that the top 4 sit like this

MCL by a big margin
Merc By a bit
RedBull only just
Ferrari

In race pace terms

MCL in front by 3 tenths
Mercs 1 1-1.5 in front of Redbull
Redbull about half a tenth in front of the Ferarri

It is all guess work though but what is clear is the MCL has been the best car for most of the season apart from the first 5 or so races

What is with the section of fans whining about how ‘unfair’ it was to boot Sargeant?

The guy wasn’t just slow but also couldn’t be trusted not to keep damaging the car. I somewhat rooted for him but you can’t blame the team for making the move. The Logan Stan’s are nearly in the same tier as the weird Kpop Stans or people who worship tv relationships. Shits really bizarre.

What is with the section of fans whining about how ‘unfair’ it was to boot Sargeant?

The guy wasn’t just slow but also couldn’t be trusted not to keep damaging the car. I somewhat rooted for him but you can’t blame the team for making the move. The Logan Stan’s are nearly in the same tier as the weird Kpop Stans or people who worship tv relationships. Shits really bizarre.
F1 twitter fans are pretty weird in general

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back