F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with the section of fans whining about how ‘unfair’ it was to boot Sargeant?

The guy wasn’t just slow but also couldn’t be trusted not to keep damaging the car.

This is the crucial bit. Zhou is slow as **** even in the Sauber that is barely an F2 car at the moment but unlike Logan he isn't crashing it. All Sargent had to do was keep it out of the walls.

F1 twitter fans are pretty weird in general
Twitter in general is weird. It's a great place for news but when nothing is happening it's just an ocean of nuffies.

Kind of - watching how much Max is having to wrestle the car kind of indicates it's not easy to drive. No one is stepping into it and going instantly better. That Red Bull in the hands of anyone other than Max is going to struggle.
that's true but max is still competitive. checo isn't.

that's true but max is still competitive. checo isn't.
That's the whole point though. Max could probably drive the 2024 Sauber to a semi-regular points finish. He's able to get more out of a car than pretty much any other driver in the current field.

By rights, the Red Bull cars shouldn't be finishing most races in the top-4 at present - and there are some circuits where a top-6 finish wouldn't be guaranteed. The fact that Max is wringing podium finishes out of it is testament to his elite skills as a driver, not the car, and not a lack of skills by Checo.

Who else would they give it to?
No clue, but it makes no sense if they don't announce at at the guys home race, when he's driving in FP1. Aren't going to get a better opportunity than that. So basically if they don't announce him at Monza, either

1. They haven't fully made their mind up yet
2. Someone else is getting the seat

Bottas as a known pair of hands for a year while Kimi cooks in F2 a bit more
I wouldn't mind seeing Bottas with Russell. That would be a solid pairing.

No clue, but it makes no sense if they don't announce at at the guys home race, when he's driving in FP1. Aren't going to get a better opportunity than that. So basically if they don't announce him at Monza, either

1. They haven't fully made their mind up yet
2. Someone else is getting the seat
I doubt having the next race in Italy makes any difference whatsoever to their contract discussions.

I’d like to see a bit more from McLaren before saying it’s definitely the best car on the grid. For sure it’s fast and on the right tracks by a big margin, but with two very good drivers behind the wheel they’ve managed 3 race wins. It’s the same as Mercedes and one more than Ferrari. Even if you don’t include the start of the season and go from their first win when the car has been at its best they’ve won the same amount as the Red Bull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the crucial bit. Zhou is slow as **** even in the Sauber that is barely an F2 car at the moment but unlike Logan he isn't crashing it. All Sargent had to do was keep it out of the walls.
TBH Logan wasn't even that slow. He's up against someone who people consider an excellent driver who just had a rough time at RBR behind Verstappen. Last 6 races he's been there or there abouts but he's binned it too much.

I’d like to see a bit more from McLaren before saying it’s definitely the best car on the grid. For sure it’s fast and on the right tracks by a big margin, but with two very good drivers behind the wheel they’ve managed 3 race wins. It’s the same as Mercedes and one more than Ferrari. Even if you don’t include the start of the season and go from their first win when the car has been at its best they’ve won the same amount as the Red Bull.
They (Norris specifically) have bungled quite a few races where they should have won.

Since Monaco
Canadian GP - Lando misjudging the weather switch, losing a position to Russell.
Spanish GP - Lando failing at the start
Austrian GP - Lando coming together with Max
Brittish GP - Pit stop errors on the weather switch for both drivers.
Hungarian GP - 1-2 Finish.
Belgian GP - Off the pace in qualifying
Dutch GP - Lando win

With the exception of Spa, McLaren were the fastest car at pretty much every race since Canada. They have underperformed to only have the 2 wins since this time.

TBH Logan wasn't even that slow. He's up against someone who people consider an excellent driver who just had a rough time at RBR behind Verstappen. Last 6 races he's been there or there abouts but he's binned it too much.

I know he isn't that slow. My point is that Williams could have tolerated him being slow as long as he wasn't crashing every other race.

They (Norris specifically) have bungled quite a few races where they should have won.

Since Monaco
Canadian GP - Lando misjudging the weather switch, losing a position to Russell.
Spanish GP - Lando failing at the start
Austrian GP - Lando coming together with Max
Brittish GP - Pit stop errors on the weather switch for both drivers.
Hungarian GP - 1-2 Finish.
Belgian GP - Off the pace in qualifying
Dutch GP - Lando win

With the exception of Spa, McLaren were the fastest car at pretty much every race since Canada. They have underperformed to only have the 2 wins since this time.
Agree. McLaren (the car) is #1 now, with a decent gap to RB/Merc on most/all tracks. McLaren (the people) are still a ways behind. They are rising fast, but are losing points from the people, rather than the car.

First - McLaren learned to "stop creating", instead of weird and wonderful strategies, to exploit unforseen or unusual circumstances - to simply looking how to maximise their time in clean air.

Now - they are learning to stop being so reactive - to trust their initial 'lowest race time' scenarios will hold true. A simple, but effective strategy with little variation or decision making required.

The next step, will be to realise they can proactively use their advantages (clean air pace, long run tyre wear) to manipulate other teams into sub-optimal strategies.

Albon is a good driver but the head to head in qualifying between the two was 35-0, that is pretty disastrous.

Re attending Melbourne 2025

Been a few times over the journey

1. Is a Grand Stand ticket worthwhile?

2. If so which one?

When I have been I come away as thinking it was great but I would have got greater perspective sitting on the couch listening to Croft and Brundle
You'll get a much better perspective of the race from a grandstand than any GA spot for sure, plus the extra bonus of not stressing about your spot on the grass every time you want to go for a walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back