F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re attending Melbourne 2025

Been a few times over the journey

1. Is a Grand Stand ticket worthwhile?

2. If so which one?

When I have been I come away as thinking it was great but I would have got greater perspective sitting on the couch listening to Croft and Brundle
Grandstand seats always have a screen nearby. GA areas don't have a screen.

Re attending Melbourne 2025

Been a few times over the journey

1. Is a Grand Stand ticket worthwhile?

2. If so which one?

When I have been I come away as thinking it was great but I would have got greater perspective sitting on the couch listening to Croft and Brundle

Granted mine were free tickets during Qantas association days; I echo the grandstand seating comments, far better option if able.

It's wild how much the Aus GP has changed in the last ten years. In 2014 you could rock up on the day and buy a ticket at the gate, the GA best spot until around that time was the paddock on the inside of the track near 14 and 15 where you had a really good view of the cars and a side angle to the screen for the grandstand on the other side of the track. Then that became a "premium GA" area which lasted a couple of years and now it's all corporate entertainment. Unless you get in super early and secure a seat on one of the hills, GA won't even get you a view of the track on Saturday and Sunday.

Meanwhile grandstand prices have probably tripled in that time, and I reckon there are 5 or 6 new hospitality locations that didn't exist before either - on space that used to be GA. I feel for the punters who can't justify spending $300 per seat on a grandstand ticket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am actually losing my mind seeing these sooks complain that Lando is not getting prioritised by the team. He has been almost every single race. He is always getting given priority when it comes to pitting/undercutting. Team strategy has put him first the only thing Mclaren is refusing to do in two races is gift Lando the win when Oscar has out driven him. Only so much you can expect a driver to give up for someone who is only an outside chance at the WDC

I am actually losing my mind seeing these sooks complain that Lando is not getting prioritised by the team. He has been almost every single race. He is always getting given priority when it comes to pitting/undercutting. Team strategy has put him first the only thing Mclaren is refusing to do in two races is gift Lando the win when Oscar has out driven him. Only so much you can expect a driver to give up for someone who is only an outside chance at the WDC
He's also had plenty of opportunities himself that he has squandered.

What is it now, 7 races this year where he's started on pole and failed to lead the first lap?

He's also had plenty of opportunities himself that he has squandered.

What is it now, 7 races this year where he's started on pole and failed to lead the first lap?
Yep simply put Max made the most of it when that Red Bull was the fastest car on the grid, he drove like a world champion driver.

Lando is a very impressive driver but still has a ton of mistakes in him and is only in the fight because of the car. He wants the title he needs to prove he is good enough to earn it. I don't hate him like a lot but his fans might be more insufferable than any other fans in F1 at the moment. Hope they have to watch him fall just a few points short in the last race.

Best way to put it

Hope they have to watch him fall just a few points short in the last race.
I don’t. The Hive Mind will go into overdrive that Hungry cost him a WDC, and that Oscar isn’t a team player (which is rubbish but you get it).

I don’t. The Hive Mind will go into overdrive that Hungry cost him a WDC, and that Oscar isn’t a team player (which is rubbish but you get it).

Then you just come back at them with every instance his own ****ups cost him like his crash with Max.

There are 2 bigger threats to Lando's WDC tilt than Oscar.

One is Lando himself. His lacklustre defence of the race lead on the first lap at Monza being the latest example in what's becoming a pattern of driver errors on his part.

The second threat is from the pit wall. McLaren don't seem to get strategy calls right on a regular basis. They're not in Ferrari territory yet, but geez they've left a chunk of points - and race wins - on the table so far this season. Who's to say that won't continue?

Pointing the finger at Oscar and making him the focus of Lando's success or failure is all rather convenient for some people.

Just some stats on the title fight:

232 points on offer for the remaining races.

To win the driver's championship:
Norris must outscore Max by 8pts per race
Leclerc - 11pts
Piastri - 14pts
Sainz - 15pts
Hamilton - 18pts

While Russell and Perez are still mathematically a chance, nobody really care about either of them.

The remainder of the field can now no longer mathematically win the 2024 WDC.

I have more faith in Leclerc winning a race on merit than Lando.

All in all it seems to be a 2009 repeat, Button ran out to a big lead, Vettel almost reeled him in but fell short.

I still back Max in to dig deep and take at least one more race win, and a few podiums. That will need Lando to almost win every single race but there's just too many other good cars taking points, like Oscar, Ferrari and Lewis.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back