F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Much more difficult in a car that's not up front. Far more likely to find trouble etc.
Also won't have everyone running off the road in front of you like F2. In the sprint race he started 9th but 1st and 2nd took each other out in Turn 1, then after a couple of safety cars 1st and 2nd missed the first turn and then he passed the new leader just before a safety car which ended the race.

Hmm was looking at the results since Miami which is around when MCL started have the best car

The amount of wins for each teams after Miami is

Redbull 3 all Max
Merc 3 2 Ham 1 Rus
2 Ferrari Both Lec
2 MCL 1 Pia 1 Nor

Shows how poor MCL has done converting what is the best car into =3rd on wins since
They really should of had at least 3 more wins in that time at the bare minimum and probably 5+ in reality

Hmm was looking at the results since Miami which is around when MCL started have the best car

The amount of wins for each teams after Miami is

Redbull 3 all Max
Merc 3 2 Ham 1 Rus
2 Ferrari Both Lec
2 MCL 1 Pia 1 Nor

Shows how poor MCL has done converting what is the best car into =3rd on wins since
They really should of had at least 3 more wins in that time at the bare minimum and probably 5+ in reality
Also shows how much more enjoyable this season has been. Honestly feels like 4 or 5 drivers could win on any given weekend.

Also shows how much more enjoyable this season has been. Honestly feels like 4 or 5 drivers could win on any given weekend.
It's something special for sure, I can't remember a season where there were 4 teams capable of winning races without other's retirements

Just some stats on the title fight:

232 points on offer for the remaining races.

To win the driver's championship:
Norris must outscore Max by 8pts per race
Leclerc - 11pts
Piastri - 14pts
Sainz - 15pts
Hamilton - 18pts

While Russell and Perez are still mathematically a chance, nobody really care about either of them.

The remainder of the field can now no longer mathematically win the 2024 WDC.

I have more faith in Leclerc winning a race on merit than Lando.

All in all it seems to be a 2009 repeat, Button ran out to a big lead, Vettel almost reeled him in but fell short.

I still back Max in to dig deep and take at least one more race win, and a few podiums. That will need Lando to almost win every single race but there's just too many other good cars taking points, like Oscar, Ferrari and Lewis.

This graphic posted on Reddit just shows how consistent VER has been through this middle third of the season so far, even though the RBR pace has fallen off a cliff (only two podiums in the last 6 races). Also shows PIA rise, and NOR not maximising the most of the opportunity.

Unless VER has a few DNF's in the same race NOR finishes first, I can't see NOR having a sniff of the WDC.

I am actually losing my mind seeing these sooks complain that Lando is not getting prioritised by the team. He has been almost every single race. He is always getting given priority when it comes to pitting/undercutting. Team strategy has put him first the only thing Mclaren is refusing to do in two races is gift Lando the win when Oscar has out driven him. Only so much you can expect a driver to give up for someone who is only an outside chance at the WDC
Not to mention they'd be on bonus's depending on championship position or number of podiums etc.

This graphic posted on Reddit just shows how consistent VER has been through this middle third of the season so far, even though the RBR pace has fallen off a cliff (only two podiums in the last 6 races). Also shows PIA rise, and NOR not maximising the most of the opportunity.

Unless VER has a few DNF's in the same race NOR finishes first, I can't see NOR having a sniff of the WDC.

What that fails to show is that I think the Red Bull has now got far worse than it was during the middle part of the season. The gap to McLaren appears to be widening further. It's very likely to be too little too late but it does at least set it up a little bit.

Everyone talking about how team orders at McLaren, and not about Lando failing to convert another pole position into a first lap lead.

In his current state I don't think he's worth prioritising, as I don't think mentally he's capable of fighting for a championship. Nico spoke on the Sky F1 podcast about how he sought the assistance of a sports psychologist and would spend a couple of hours every couple of days with them focusing purely on the mental side. I'd be very surprised if Lando was doing that (or if he is, it isn't working).

Everyone talking about how team orders at McLaren, and not about Lando failing to convert another pole position into a first lap lead.

In his current state I don't think he's worth prioritising, as I don't think mentally he's capable of fighting for a championship. Nico spoke on the Sky F1 podcast about how he sought the assistance of a sports psychologist and would spend a couple of hours every couple of days with them focusing purely on the mental side. I'd be very surprised if Lando was doing that (or if he is, it isn't working).
Don't think it's necessarily that deep.

He got caught napping on the weekend - in his defence, I genuinely can't remember the last time a car successfully passed in that corner, around the outside.

He did at least nail the start prior to that.

He got caught napping on the weekend - in his defence, I genuinely can't remember the last time a car successfully passed in that corner, around the outside.

i am pretty sure Lando had had 7 poles this year and lost first every time on the first lap or close to it

He made an error.

He has a history of making errors and being a bit of a choke merchant. Until he can demonstrate he can consistently drive to his ability without making these errors, he doesn't deserve preferential treatment.

i am pretty sure Lando had had 7 poles this year and lost first every time on the first lap or close to it
I understand that, I see last weekends as a different issue from his prior ones. Ordinarily he's lost the lead before the first corner.

He made an error.

He has a history of making errors and being a bit of a choke merchant. Until he can demonstrate he can consistently drive to his ability without making these errors, he doesn't deserve preferential treatment.
Sorry, what was the error? He was overtaken in a part of the track that sees very little (if any) overtaking.

He was complacent perhaps, I don't see how an error was made.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he also (incorrectly) assumed his teammate wouldn't attack him like that. Which is incredibly naïve of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a third of the calendar to go, Oscar should completely martyr himself for the guy who has ... checks notes ... outscored him by 2 points over the last 8 races and trails the championship leader by 60+ points.

1. Is a Grand Stand ticket worthwhile?

2. If so which one?
Myself and my partner sat in the Clark grandstand last year and it was good. Amenities were close by and there was a screen pretty much directly across from us as well.

One thing I will say is the public transport was horrific, getting to and from the track was a nightmare on race day.

He made an error.

Or a WDC.

Azerbaijan isn't a part of Europe? Must be regarded as part of Asia. Must admit I'm a bit fuzzy as to where the Europe/Asia boundary lies through the ex-Soviet states.
I think Geographically Baku is in Asia.

However the first Azerbaijan GP was branded as the "European Grand Prix" for a few years (now its just the Azerbaijan Grand Prix)

I think Geographically Baku is in Asia.

However the first Azerbaijan GP was branded as the "European Grand Prix" for a few years (now its just the Azerbaijan Grand Prix)
I was just googling, to see where the boundary lies. The correct answer is "**** knows!". There are about 8 different definitions for the boundary through the Caucasus area - some of which place Baku in Europe, others placing it in Asia.

The problem stems from the fact that Europe & Asia are, geologically, a single continent - Eurasia. The artificial division into Europe & Asia is a historical artefact, driven by the European conceit of wanting to classify themselves as being different (i.e. better) than those further east on the same landmass.

No wonder I was fuzzy on where the boundary lies...

I know that the Urals are widely regarded as the Eastern boundary, as is the Bosphorus in Turkey. But I had no idea where the line lies/lay through the Caucasus. Having investigated on Google, I'm only marginally less uncertain.

Politically, Georgia, Armenia & Azerbaijan are all regarded as being European. They are all current or past participants in the Eurovision Song Contest (and are members of the European Broadcast Union), and Georgia is a member of the EU. Countries on the eastern side of the Caspian Sea (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan) are all regarded as being part of Asia.

It's bloody confusing!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing those "artistic" shots of the F1 cars, filmed through the castle windows.

it’s all to do with whether he can win the driver’s championship and not at the cost of the constructors. he’s mclaren’s only reasonable chance of the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back