F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the greatest endorsement of Lawson by Horner
ā€œWe've got some great talent. We've got Liam Lawson on the bench. We're not quite sure, looking at the likes of Colapinto and Bearman and Antonelli, is he at that level? Only time will tell."

Hes getting a gig purely because markos ego doesnt want to be seen letting him end up at sauber.

I like Gary Anderson's balanced views on F1, his closing comments on Danny Ric's F1 career are on the mark.

Won't break BF rules or my own principles on copyright but will quote a few paras of his article that has been printed across various publications, including here:

It appears that Daniel Ricciardoā€™s Formula One career has reached its end ā€“ an 18th place at Sundayā€™s Singapore Grand Prix looks to have been his last race. His eight wins and 32 podiums are certainly fine achievements, but his career tailed off enormously in the past few years.

His peak came during five years at Red Bull from 2014-18. Yet Ricciardo decided to leave Red Bull for Renault in 2019 before a bruising two years at McLaren and he never had another season in a truly competitive car.

Where did it all go wrong? Some people would point towards the decision to leave a winning Red Bull team for Renault at the end of 2018 as the start of his downfall, but I disagree. I think the logic was solid. The big crossroads in Ricciardoā€™s career was not his departure from Red Bull but in fact the arrival of Max Verstappen to that team.

Before Verstappen burst on to the scene ā€“ being promoted from Toro Rosso near the start of the 2016 season ā€“ Ricciardo was the top dog at Red Bull. He had won three races to Sebastian Vettelā€™s none in 2014, when the German had just come off the back of four championships in a row. His hunger, talent and racing skill was that of a man destined for great things.

Verstappen was initially very fast but very error prone. Once he stopped the crashes, Ricciardo struggled to match him. He could do things that Ricciardo just could not. From 2016-18 their records were similar ā€“ 590 points to 608 and five wins to four in Verstappenā€™s favour ā€“ but the Dutchmanā€™s ascent to becoming the No 1 driver in reality if not yet on paper was clear.

I would argue, though, that his decision to move to McLaren was the wrong one. Staying with Renault for another year may have increased his reputation, as changing teams frequently means you spend a lot of time bedding into the new environment and getting up to speed with the processes of the team as well as the characteristics of the car.

Yet at McLaren his form dropped off as he was trounced by Lando Norris in their two seasons. It was not a disastrous 2021, with another race win to his name, but in 2022 he scored only 37 points to Norrisā€™s 122.

Of all the drivers to come through the Red Bull scheme, Ricciardo has been given as big a chance for success as anybody. He should leave F1 satisfied with what he has achieved, even if that fell short of his ultimate goal of becoming world champion

Idk about on the mark, but a lot closer than most.

I agree that leaving Renault may 've been a wrong career move, as he was awesome in 2020, and I would say they'd have progressed if he stayed. Alpine has been shithouse without him.

But moving to McLaren was also a good move for no other reason than he'd have expected to be there still now, and it should be him instead of Norris threatening for the championship.

Verstappen was a problem only because the imprimatur would've been to favour him.

Verstappen only stopped crashing once Ricciardo was gone

Idk what it was that made him so crap at McLaren, but there's always a grey area in car racing.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back