Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

As said stats are we won 11 last quarters out of 23 games so under 50% running out game.. Equal to Blues, Bombers and Tiger
Flip side we won 16 1st, 14 2nd ,15 3rd which setup 17 wins.
View attachment 1827208
So here's the things with stats... in isolation they look like what ever people want them to.

Is there a corresponding stat that anyone wants to draw up about the score line at 3/4 time?

Did we slow down play?

Did we protect a lead?

Did we practice shutting down games for 5 or 6 games after the Melbourne disaster?

I'm all for us being as fit as we can be, but I beleive there is a huge emotional factor in our style and therefore our results. Pointing to one without the other is incredibly hard to quantify.

So here's the things with stats... in isolation they look like what ever people want them to.

Is there a corresponding stat that anyone wants to draw up about the score line at 3/4 time?

Did we slow down play?

Did we protect a lead?

Did we practice shutting down games for 5 or 6 games after the Melbourne disaster?

I'm all for us being as fit as we can be, but I beleive there is a huge emotional factor in our style and therefore our results. Pointing to one without the other is incredibly hard to quantify.
True.

There are many factors involved and not all of them apply in different matches.

We had a lot of energy when we got a couple of goals up in Qtr 2 but just didn't nail opportunities after that and coughed it up when we shouldn't have . After that we were chasing.

Sure we have players who could be fitter (imo) as do other teams and like you I think it's more emotional than inability to run out games . The Pies played with a lot of emotional energy right to the end , but even they were getting the wobbles.

Had we have won the game by 4 points it would probably have been a different summary again.
Sharpie is definitely an elite runner but is he a footballer along with being an athlete?
Yes that is the question I think next year his last year of contract.

I agree if we won be a lot less negative, although most games I sit in the last worry we get over run :)
Not just this year we had a few games last year where we sort of hung on.
Stats say we won 11/24 last qtrs or inc finals 12/27

I also wonder seeing this is a coaching thread we pick the correct player as a sub.
A lot of teams go for someone with speed or burst to help in last.
Prob not helped with injuries although we gone
Lyons 6
Robertson, Answerth and Lohmann 3
Ah Chee and Fort 2
Madden, Coleman, Prior, Tunstill and Fletcher 1

I truly believe we suffer more from emotional fatigue than physical. We set ourselves for big games and kill it. We looked like we've run a marathon for games where we should steamroll the opposition.

You may be correct. But I reckon there's a fair bit that links emotional fatigue to physical fatigue and vice versa. Healthy body, healthy mind blah blah. Obviously all the players, compared to most people, have healthy bodies, but this is at the margins. Fatigue affects things like use of voice and decision making well before it affects skill level and/or the ability to cover ground.

Conditioning is a fine line... getting that right is an artform. I'd prefer a full list being available than the opposite

Think this is fair. But why not have both a full list and a team that can run out games well? Plenty of successful teams have achieved this in the past.

I'm not saying we can't improve but running out games is a line trotted out every time we lose. No one mentions it after a win. It's easy to run over the ground with confidence and adrenaline. Not so much chasing a team beating you.

I've mentioned it plenty of times after we've had a win. Giants in Canberra, Carlton under the roof, the Geelong and Adelaide home games, even the last quarter of our 81 point win over West Coast had me concerned. Maybe it was game plan related, maybe it was conditioning related. In the end it doesn't really matter... what does matter is if we are faced with a deficit at 3 quarter time, are you really backing us to run it down?

Do you think the Pies players would have swapped the week we had for theirs where they slept in their own beds in their own homes and maintained the same routine that they do for about 48 weeks of the year?

Of course not. But neither would Essendon in 2001.

I've mentioned it plenty of times after we've had a win. Giants in Canberra, Carlton under the roof, the Geelong and Adelaide home games, even the last quarter of our 81 point win over West Coast had me concerned. Maybe it was game plan related, maybe it was conditioning related. In the end it doesn't really matter... what does matter is if we are faced with a deficit at 3 quarter time, are you really backing us to run it down?
VFL side had a number of 'flat' last quarters and all. Whether the malaise is fitness, mental or just symptomatic of a plan to shut the game down (and, on occasion, have it blow up in our faces) is for smarter people than me to work out.

You may be correct. But I reckon there's a fair bit that links emotional fatigue to physical fatigue and vice versa. Healthy body, healthy mind blah blah. Obviously all the players, compared to most people, have healthy bodies, but this is at the margins. Fatigue affects things like use of voice and decision making well before it affects skill level and/or the ability to cover ground.

Think this is fair. But why not have both a full list and a team that can run out games well? Plenty of successful teams have achieved this in the past.

Of course not. But neither would Essendon in 2001.

Funnily enough as the year went on I was more inclined to back us in to chase sides down than earlier - provided you could see we were switched on.

Let me give you a couple of examples... The GC game. That wasn't fatigue. The Hawthorn game even... not fatigue. If we haven't swtiched on for that particular game our fitness rarely plays a part... we just don't have the... I don't know the right word... Desire? Hardness? Determination? to see out games that we somehow think we should somehow just win.

Alternatively the way we ran down Carlton and held them at bay just 1 week before the GF? Was fitness an issue there?

I understand the desire to compare to the 2001 team but in reality they are very different beasts in so many ways. Do we really think they are comparable yet?

Let me give you a couple of examples... The GC game. That wasn't fatigue. The Hawthorn game even... not fatigue. If we haven't swtiched on for that particular game our fitness rarely plays a part... we just don't have the... I don't know the right word... Desire? Hardness? Determination? to see out games that we somehow think we should somehow just win.

Agree.

Alternatively the way we ran down Carlton and held them at bay just 1 week before the GF? Was fitness an issue there?

The physical capacity to chase down a 5 goal deficit over 3 quarters is something I'd have expected from a team (a) with superior ability/skill vs its opposition, (b) having not travelled for essentially a month and (c) having an extra week's rest compared to its opposition.

The emotional/mental capacity was impressive however. At 1-31 the wheels could well and truly have fallen off. As they did for Port Adelaide when put in the same position 2 years before.

I understand the desire to compare to the 2001 team but in reality they are very different beasts in so many ways. Do we really think they are comparable yet?

Any team seeking to be successful will (or should) compare itself to a team which has achieved that success. Perhaps there are better (more recent?) examples than that 2001 Brisbane team, but no other club deals with the same combination of travel requirements and weather conditions, so I certainly think it's a good place to start.

Yes that is the question I think next year his last year of contract.

I agree if we won be a lot less negative, although most games I sit in the last worry we get over run :)
Not just this year we had a few games last year where we sort of hung on.
Stats say we won 11/24 last qtrs or inc finals 12/27

I also wonder seeing this is a coaching thread we pick the correct player as a sub.
A lot of teams go for someone with speed or burst to help in last.
Prob not helped with injuries although we gone
Lyons 6
Robertson, Answerth and Lohmann 3
Ah Chee and Fort 2
Madden, Coleman, Prior, Tunstill and Fletcher 1
FWIW I thought Lyons made a difference when he came on. His attributes worked well for the type of game that was being played though.

Did we slow down play?

Did we protect a lead?

We’ve been practicing shutting down games for two seasons now.

We suck at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume Fages and Dew have a relationship from their time together at the Hawks?
That's why I thought it was plausible at the beginning - that plus him already being up here, otherwise we wouldn't get someone of his standard to Brisbane.

That's why I thought it was plausible at the beginning - that plus him already being up here, otherwise we wouldn't get someone of his standard to Brisbane.
You hear a few things about Stewie ,mostly good , to have survived a fair while as Senior coach of the GC you think he'd have lots of experience in the types of issues that get served up to us.

Would seem a good fit where his hard edge could play Yin to Fages Yang fatherly image.

He's about as good as we could hope to get experience and credentials wise so fingers crossed the rumours are on the money.

Dewey will make a good assistant coach

david arquette film GIF

mention we are into Scott Selwood from Collingwood

A month ago - Dew reportedly in talks with the Dogs.

Didn’t eventuate.

Dew lives in and reportedly wants to stay in in QLD.

A month later, one of the most prized assistant signatures still unsigned, with no news circulating.

The only other team in QLD starts reshuffling footy dept, making big moves with little indication what they have in store.

I am not saying Dew is a lock, but it’s not surprising the media is drawing the the link.

There’s nothing offical, but it seems logical that’s what’s going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back