Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Dewey will make a good assistant coach

david arquette film GIF
f796ae03-3d0e-4327-a619-b5105102ea5b_text.gif

mention we are into Scott Selwood from Collingwood

A month ago - Dew reportedly in talks with the Dogs.

Didn’t eventuate.

Dew lives in and reportedly wants to stay in in QLD.

A month later, one of the most prized assistant signatures still unsigned, with no news circulating.

The only other team in QLD starts reshuffling footy dept, making big moves with little indication what they have in store.

I am not saying Dew is a lock, but it’s not surprising the media is drawing the the link.

There’s nothing offical, but it seems logical that’s what’s going on.

A month ago - Dew reportedly in talks with the Dogs.

Didn’t eventuate.

Dew lives in and reportedly wants to stay in in QLD.

A month later, one of the most prized assistant signatures still unsigned, with no news circulating.

The only other team in QLD starts reshuffling footy dept, making big moves with little indication what they have in store.

I am not saying Dew is a lock, but it’s not surprising the media is drawing the the link.

There’s nothing offical, but it seems logical that’s what’s going on.

Bulldogs seemingly having trouble finding anyone with half a brain that wants to work with Bev

Bulldogs seemingly having trouble finding anyone with half a brain that wants to work with Bev
Something up there they shuffle assistants all the time.

Dew interesting Suns game plan was never great, they rolled over a bit and he had a lot of young talent as well.
Then the interesting selection choices with players.
Although you do not hear much bad about him so who knows.

I guess beggars cant be choosers. No to Dew for me.

There was a footy doco with Rowell and Dew in it. Cant remember the name but there was a scene with Dew and another Suns bloke disparaging a journo behind his back after a press conference or interview. I thought at the time that was pretty dumb thing to do with a camera on them. Just a small thing and being petty but, along with his record at the Suns, not for me.

And enough with the ex-Hawks thing.

Just a thought on the idea of picking up Dew.....

How many would have been happy about bringing Leppa or Bolton to the club a year or two ago as an assistant? Maybe not the right fit (Leppa) after his previous sacking, but my point is both these guys were seen as 'failed' coaches. Possibly even more so than Dew. But they got their head coaching positions after being considered as the top assistant coaches in the game in the first place, and have both returned to assistant roles and contributed towards premierships.

There doesn't seem to be any major character issues with Dew, he has plenty of experience, I'd be fairly pleased with the appointment if it happens.

How many would have been happy about bringing Leppa or Bolton to the club a year or two ago as an assistant? Maybe not the right fit (Leppa) after his previous sacking, but my point is both these guys were seen as 'failed' coaches. Possibly even more so than Dew. But they got their head coaching positions after being considered as the top assistant coaches in the game in the first place, and have both returned to assistant roles and contributed towards premierships.

There doesn't seem to be any major character issues with Dew, he has plenty of experience, I'd be fairly pleased with the appointment if it happens.

Most of the posters who are critical of our coaches have been screaming for a failed senior coach to join us as a senior assistant

It's better than when they used to demand our forward coach was a successful forward as an AFL player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the posters who are critical of our coaches have been screaming for a failed senior coach to join us as a senior assistant

It's better than when they used to demand our forward coach was a successful forward as an AFL player
I have been one hoping for a 'failed' senior coach. The reasoning largely being they must have been pretty bloody good in their assistant role prior to their appointment as a senior coach.

That's why I thought it was plausible at the beginning - that plus him already being up here, otherwise we wouldn't get someone of his standard to Brisbane.
I think we should be such an attractive destination

Awesome talent

Fagan seemingly not a huge ego

No other assistant coaches labeled as ‘next senior coach’ to be behind

So come up and help us win a flag and be talked about as next senior coach in the afl

Fagan also won’t go forever so a senior assistant could be effectively next lions coach

Seen plenty of good assistants go to adelaide and perth and sydney, why not brisbane?

Also added bonus no nuffy supporters will recognise you / hassle your kids at school after a loss!

On Dew he got the job at the Suns originally because he was a very good assistant coach. I don't think his time at the Suns is going to make him worse at the job. If we could get him I think it would be a good get.

As a head coach he did have a reputation as being very stubborn and not being willing to listen to his assistants. He also maintained one of the smallest coaching staffs in the AFL if not the smallest. I am not sure if that was because he didn't want more or that there were budgetary constraints. Whichever I do not think the small staff worked for him.

If he were to come to the Lions he would not have the final say and I believe that would be good for him. I think he would be very influential though and I do not see that as being a problem and a narrower role would also allow him to use his talents better.

Dan Rich to come in as a an assistant or development coach?

Too soon?? Voss coaching suffered because he had played with some of the list. Maybe not so important in an assistant coach?

Rich did player fines so he had interaction with the entire squad, and he did finish playing on the twos. Could have simply retired during the season, but instead resent the respect of the seconds squad.

I've talked myself into it. Please can we have Rich as an assistant coach?

As mentioned by others, Dew had a really good reputation as an Assistant Coach at the Swans before getting the Suns position.

Dan Rich to come in as a an assistant or development coach?
I personally think players should go else where to get some external experience. Obviously hard if they don't want to move states. Bit too many straight from playing with to coaching the same playing group isnt a good idea if you want to bring in fresh ideas

I personally think players should go else where to get some external experience. Obviously hard if they don't want to move states. Bit too many straight from playing with to coaching the same playing group isnt a good idea if you want to bring in fresh ideas
I only mentioned because he is not leaving Queensland and I thought had expressed an interest in development coaching. I’m averse either way, just hypothesising as to what junior assistant we could bring in, aside from an experienced assistant like Dew if that eventuates.

I only mentioned because he is not leaving Queensland and I thought had expressed an interest in development coaching. I’m averse either way, just hypothesising as to what junior assistant we could bring in, aside from an experienced assistant like Dew if that eventuates.
Dont get me wrong I would love Dan to stay around and involved in the club into the future. And its fine to have some guys go straight into to coaching there (Gunston to me seems like a great option if thats what he wants to do). But for someone like Dan, who has been a 1 club player, if he really wanted to go far as a coach I think would be good getting some external experience. Even if that was at the Suns

Dont get me wrong I would love Dan to stay around and involved in the club into the future. And its fine to have some guys go straight into to coaching there (Gunston to me seems like a great option if thats what he wants to do). But for someone like Dan, who has been a 1 club player, if he really wanted to go far as a coach I think would be good getting some external experience. Even if that was at the Suns
He is doing just that..already has his own desk at Springfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back