Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Ripper thread from Ricky Mangidis who runs the Shinboner website, an excellent place for analysis, on how we managed to break through the Geelong team defence in the third quarter:

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of this we borrowed from Hawthorn. Have forwards holding deep and/or leading wide to the flanks, leaving space for running midfielders through the corridor.

When we were sitting in empty stands watching the Lions loosing the game by Quarter time and struggling to string 3 possessions together I couldn’t imagine being in two GFs in a row. Well done coaches!
Ahh, those were the days, when Trade and Draft thread was the busiest of them all.

When we were sitting in empty stands watching the Lions loosing the game by Quarter time and struggling to string 3 possessions together I couldn’t imagine being in two GFs in a row. Well done coaches!
My low point was a game v the Swans at the Gabba not sure which year(definitely pre Fagan) but it was raining heavily and we were IIRC around 60-70 points down at half time.

My son and I were the only ones going at that time(bandwagoners were a few years off getting on board), we seriously debated leaving at half time, we stuck it out though... have never left more than a couple of minutes early from a Lions game.

My low point was a game v the Swans at the Gabba not sure which year(definitely pre Fagan) but it was raining heavily and we were IIRC around 60-70 points down at half time.

My son and I were the only ones going at that time(bandwagoners were a few years off getting on board), we seriously debated leaving at half time, we stuck it out though... have never left more than a couple of minutes early from a Lions game.
I think I know the game you are talking about. If it is that game, I watched that game in disbelief at how Mitch Robinson played that day. I have never seen anyone put their body on the line that day more than Robbo did. He got belted from pillar to post but kept on fronting up and tacking and putting his body on the line like a man possessed - even though we were getting thrashed! At one point it looked like the Swans players actually felt sorry for Robbo.
Robbo may not be everybody’s cup of tea but he was an absolute warrior for the Lions and that day he was Paddy Cripps on steroids!
A number of Lions should be forever thankful to Robbo for what he did whilst their young bodies developed.

We've been really mindful also not to leave early and set a positive example for the kids, which actually came from both sets of grandparents who never leave. Definitely been some tough games to sit through between 11-18 but since Father Fages got on board, particularly season 19 onwards, what a ride.

I think I know the game you are talking about. If it is that game, I watched that game in disbelief at how Mitch Robinson played that day. I have never seen anyone put their body on the line that day more than Robbo did. He got belted from pillar to post but kept on fronting up and tacking and putting his body on the line like a man possessed - even though we were getting thrashed! At one point it looked like the Swans players actually felt sorry for Robbo.
Robbo may not be everybody’s cup of tea but he was an absolute warrior for the Lions and that day he was Paddy Cripps on steroids!
A number of Lions should be forever thankful to Robbo for what he did whilst their young bodies developed.
Doubt you'd find anyone that didn't appreciate Mitch Robbo for all he did for the club both on and off-field, particularly always leaving it out there and having nothing left in the tank each and every time he ran out and putting his body on the line the way he did.

Not coaching, but club related.

Brisbane Lions add triple premiership defender Chris Johnson to board​

Brisbane has welcomed a triple-premiership defender to its board as the club looks to add some more silverware, with the elevation strengthening the Lions’ links to Fitzroy.

The Brisbane Lions have added brilliant triple-premiership defender Chris Johnson to their board in another nod to the club’s enduring links with the Fitzroy football club.
The Herald Sun can reveal Johnson, 48, has been elevated as a director in Grand Final week to service on chairman Andrew Wellington’s board.

He replaced Fitzroy’s 1984 best-and-fairest winner and vice-captain Ross Thornton, who passed away earlier this year after a battle with cancer.

Johnson’s football acumen is strong and his historic links to Fitzroy as one of only eight players who joined the club after the merger with the Brisbane Bears for the 1997 season.

Johnson began his career with Fitzroy in 1994 and was a Rising Star nominee before he joined Brisbane, along with seven other hand-picked players – Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking and Jarrod Molloy. Most departed the club quickly, but Johnson was the only one to play in the premiership era of 2001-2003.

Not only is he a triple premiership player, he is part of the Indigenous Team of the Century and also coached the Indigenous All-Stars in 2009.

Brisbane has dedicated plenty of time to the needs of its Indigenous players and meets with a group of its players semi-regularly to ensure it is attuned to their needs.

While there are still some Fitzroy diehards who have fallen out of love with football given the death of the Victoria-based clubs, the merger went as well as possible.

The approval from Fitzroy club great and Brownlow Medallist Kevin Murray went a long way to uniting two clans.

Johnson said on Thursday he was thrilled to be asked to make a contribution at board level.

He will be part of a board that hands coach Chris Fagan a new contract after the Herald Sun revealed last week the 63-year-old would be backed in to coach past his 2025 contract.

“Being appointed a director for the Lions is a real full-circle moment for me,” Johnson said.

“From being drafted to Fitzroy and playing my first game at age 17, to being a part of the team that achieved the three-peat, the club has been a huge part of my life. So to now be involved as a director is a new challenge and a role I’m really looking forward to.”

Wellington said Johnson was the perfect figure to contribute on the board given his broad experience and football history.

“Chris has been around the club for nearly three decades and has a great connection with Fitzroy and pride in the club’s Victorian heritage,” he said.

“He’s worn the Fitzroy guernsey on 59 occasions and was a key part of the triple premiership success running out in Lions colours following the merger for a further 205 games.

“He has served the game in a variety of roles through his work in the AFL and has terrific knowledge of our talent pathways and community football.

“With his understanding of our club, our history and his experiences outside of football I know he will be an asset to the Board and club for years to come.”

Not coaching, but club related.

Brisbane Lions add triple premiership defender Chris Johnson to board​

Brisbane has welcomed a triple-premiership defender to its board as the club looks to add some more silverware, with the elevation strengthening the Lions’ links to Fitzroy.

The Brisbane Lions have added brilliant triple-premiership defender Chris Johnson to their board in another nod to the club’s enduring links with the Fitzroy football club.
The Herald Sun can reveal Johnson, 48, has been elevated as a director in Grand Final week to service on chairman Andrew Wellington’s board.

He replaced Fitzroy’s 1984 best-and-fairest winner and vice-captain Ross Thornton, who passed away earlier this year after a battle with cancer.

Johnson’s football acumen is strong and his historic links to Fitzroy as one of only eight players who joined the club after the merger with the Brisbane Bears for the 1997 season.

Johnson began his career with Fitzroy in 1994 and was a Rising Star nominee before he joined Brisbane, along with seven other hand-picked players – Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking and Jarrod Molloy. Most departed the club quickly, but Johnson was the only one to play in the premiership era of 2001-2003.

Not only is he a triple premiership player, he is part of the Indigenous Team of the Century and also coached the Indigenous All-Stars in 2009.

Brisbane has dedicated plenty of time to the needs of its Indigenous players and meets with a group of its players semi-regularly to ensure it is attuned to their needs.

While there are still some Fitzroy diehards who have fallen out of love with football given the death of the Victoria-based clubs, the merger went as well as possible.

The approval from Fitzroy club great and Brownlow Medallist Kevin Murray went a long way to uniting two clans.

Johnson said on Thursday he was thrilled to be asked to make a contribution at board level.

He will be part of a board that hands coach Chris Fagan a new contract after the Herald Sun revealed last week the 63-year-old would be backed in to coach past his 2025 contract.

“Being appointed a director for the Lions is a real full-circle moment for me,” Johnson said.

“From being drafted to Fitzroy and playing my first game at age 17, to being a part of the team that achieved the three-peat, the club has been a huge part of my life. So to now be involved as a director is a new challenge and a role I’m really looking forward to.”

Wellington said Johnson was the perfect figure to contribute on the board given his broad experience and football history.

“Chris has been around the club for nearly three decades and has a great connection with Fitzroy and pride in the club’s Victorian heritage,” he said.

“He’s worn the Fitzroy guernsey on 59 occasions and was a key part of the triple premiership success running out in Lions colours following the merger for a further 205 games.

“He has served the game in a variety of roles through his work in the AFL and has terrific knowledge of our talent pathways and community football.

“With his understanding of our club, our history and his experiences outside of football I know he will be an asset to the Board and club for years to come.”
Great choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucks lost me early when he said "David King is one of the game's best analysts"

Yeah, he really should have called King a spud and risked his job 🙃

He’s not bad hey.

Credit to Stuart Dew too, bringing him on board has proved to be a master stroke.

He’s not bad hey.

Credit to Stuart Dew too, bringing him on board has proved to be a master stroke.
I agree. Very under the radar get that I think gave that little bit extra we needed. We have been short a true top assistant although admittedly he was not truly in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back