Analysis Season 2024 - Statistics and Analytics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam was 12.4 from set shots prior to the GWS game and shanked 2 easy ones in the following 2 weeks šŸ‘ŽšŸ¼
1724373977065.png

Maybe Im too flavoured by his career averages. Looking over the last 4 or 5 years there are too many set shot misses from that 15-45m range within the middle of the ground.

Also interesting to see how much more comfortable he is shooting from the left side of the ground.

Looking at Charlies plot is also interesting. He also seems to be massively biased to the left side this year. But his set shots from there are "interesting". 14 set shots for 6.2. He's basically 50:50 to kick a goal or miss the lot

Also interesting to see how much more comfortable he is shooting from the left side of the ground.

Looking at Charlies plot is also interesting. He also seems to be massively biased to the left side this year.
Hold it right there!

You don't mean to say... Heaven forbid... Players are more accurate in matches when kicking for goal from the areas of the field they've spent time practicing from!?

I don't believe it. Colour me shocked!

šŸ˜±

Well, looks like the Grand Final is actually this Friday night. Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

(There was a delay in Andrew putting this out into the Twitterverse this week because for some reason the score source data for 3 matches from Round 23 was missing originally. This forms a key part of the analysis - scoring from kick ins, turnovers and stoppages)

Interesting that Lions ended up first on points from turnover differential - Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data seems to rate that over any other single metric partly because it holds up in the fierce pace and contested nature of finals. There will be a heap of turnovers, and basically you need to capitalise on those better than the other team. That stat also already factors in our inaccuracy of course and we're still first. Based on these stats can't wait to see Dunkley walk to Bont for the first bounce of the GF...

According Tim Watson; looks like weā€™re done

View attachment 2108533
It does not look like pretty reading when you highlight it like that, I wonder if there would be similar instances with other top 8 sides.

Most pundits writing us off on Saturday night, it would be so sweet to prove them wrong.

If Tim Watson could name more than 5 lions players Iā€™d be surprised. Reading a teleprompter written by a producer is money for old jam for old Timothy.

I still don't understand why it's worst to have had a lead and then lose then it is to not have a lead and then lose

We've won 15 games this year, the Giants have won 15 games this year

There's your formline
I always prefer a team that puts in a good effort early. That may get you into a good position to win the game.
It means the effort is there from the start and if they struggle later, that's not ideal but understandable.

The above-mentioned table just shows what we all know has happened this year.
However, we won 3 of the 7 games mentioned by 28, 20 & 20.

We are not a great final quarter team but in the Swans game we kicked 4.6 to 1.1 in the last quarter to get a 2-point win.

I always prefer a team that puts in a good effort early. That may get you into a good position to win the game.
It means the effort is there from the start and if they struggle later, that's not ideal but understandable.

The above-mentioned table just shows what we all know has happened this year.
However, we won 3 of the 7 games mentioned by 28, 20 & 20.

We are not a great final quarter team but in the Swans game we kicked 4.6 to 1.1 in the last quarter to get a 2-point win.

Came back in the dees game too. Pretty sure those are the last 2 games we trailed in at 3QT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Season 2024 - Statistics and Analytics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back