Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets hope his win rate continues to be that high next season.

The Lions have been quick to aid their bid to overcome the loss of Daniher by appointing two-time premiership-winning player and ex-Gold Coast Suns head coach Stuart Dew as the club’s new forwards coach, replacing the departed Murray Davis.

dew win rate.jpg

I don't know, I suspect Fagan might be looking at the exit gate sooner than we might all hope. Basically gut feel but a few things to consider:

1. Daniher retiring might put a thought in Flagan's head and after next season, probably will lose Zorko
2. Flagan has had issues with his health
3. It has to be hard to get back up after all this work and finally achieving the sports' holy grail
4. This clearly took a lot out of him
5. If we win it all again, might be hard to find motivation to go again

Most of us realize it will be up to Fagan when he goes.
Only he and his closest friends and family know if this year was very hard for him health wise.
People that work hard and very long hours really need a break to freshen up be it mental or physical.
He gets that break soon, maybe only 4 weeks or so but that could be enough.

I am not sure if he would go back to Tasmania after living in sunny Brisbane for so long.

I would have thought if Danny is leaving he would have done so by now. He seems very involved still with our upcoming recruitment etc. Would have thought the club would be wheeling someone else out to address the media re Joe's retirement and replacement options???
And another question, where is Steve Conole? I haven't seen him involved at the grandfinal(only saw Dom on the bench). I can't recall any recent media around Levi etc?

I would have thought if Danny is leaving he would have done so by now. He seems very involved still with our upcoming recruitment etc. Would have thought the club would be wheeling someone else out to address the media re Joe's retirement and replacement options???
And another question, where is Steve Conole? I haven't seen him involved at the grandfinal(only saw Dom on the bench). I can't recall any recent media around Levi etc?

Pretty sure he was in the rooms after the GF

I don't know, I suspect Fagan might be looking at the exit gate sooner than we might all hope. Basically gut feel but a few things to consider:

1. Daniher retiring might put a thought in Flagan's head and after next season, probably will lose Zorko
3. It has to be hard to get back up after all this work and finally achieving the sports' holy grail
While Fages does have a very positive outlook, we all know this year has been really tough for him and makes me wonder if we did lose to the Suns at home that Fages could have packed it all up right there and then.

Thankfully, Fages continued and the rest is history in 2024 but I do worry for him and his health given what has transpired and hopefully the club gives him an extended break away from the club for the rest of the year to help recharge his batteries as best as possible.

One thing the club has now got up their sleeve now are suitable assistant coaches who can step-up if Fages needed some time way in the future (Daly, Morris, Bruce, Dew) and wouldn't be upset if one of them became our next head coach if we looked internally.

Another man that we could consider as our next head coach though is Craig Stracevich from our women's program perhaps as he has done a great job with the girls since the inception of the league.

Otherwise if we are going external, would keep a close eye on Fly still (if Collingwood struggle) as my first preference but wouldn't be a bad shout looking at experienced assistants from successful clubs like Geelong (Lappin, Enright, King, etc).

The flag would have revitalised him. In any case, Dew will be our next coach so we are in good hands regardless of when Fagan decides to hang it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back