Fairness of the Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to play them eventually. Would much rather have them in rounds 1 & 2 or late in the season.

'Eventually' does not constitute back to back. I'm no statistician but the odds of playing a certain two teams back to back in an 18 team competition would be quite high. The odds of four teams playing the same two teams back to back would be astronomical.

In what sense? The teams I listed above are the teams that the Swans are playing over the next few weeks, or have just played. Everyone has tough runs, everyone has easy runs. As only Selective Retention has bothered to comment on, I'm referring to the fact that all Top Four teams seem to have been given idential flat spots, which is interesting in and of itself, and was the premise of this thread.

Also not really what this thread is about.

I was actually trying to start a discussion on the fact that the four teams expected to finish in the top 4 pre-season have been given the same run of fixtures at different points in the season.

But they haven't, you have found one run of 2 consecutive games they have all been given, and 21 other weeks where there are disparities. Each teams got the same 2 week block out of 23 so it all evens out.

How about we leave sooking over the draw to the Hawthorn supporters?

Who's sooking?

Again. I fully accept that the Swans have had an easy start to the year. I'm making the point that Hawks, Cats and Pies get similar easy stretches, and it's a bizarre trick of the fixture that all four teams are expected to finish Top 4. The point of this thread was actually to speculate on why this occurred.

'Eventually' does not constitute back to back. I'm no statistician but the odds of playing a certain two teams back to back in an 18 team competition would be quite high. The odds of four teams playing the same two teams back to back would be astronomical.

Dude! Everyone knows the fixture is compromised. This isn't anything groundbreaking.

It is, however, compromised to benefit Sydney so you really have no reason to be complaining.

But they haven't, you have found one run of 2 consecutive games they have all been given, and 21 other weeks where there are disparities. Each teams got the same 2 week block out of 23 so it all evens out.

Yes... exactly. Are you disagreeing with me? Because that's kind of my point.

Can we stop using the word draw? It's a fixture.

Draw implies random generation of the weekly games.

Btw, Hawthorn have/had GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne and the BYE. That's a pretty easy month all at once. Would've been more beneficial for us if those 3 games started off the season and we build up to the latter part of the season.

Dude! Everyone knows the fixture is compromised. This isn't anything groundbreaking.

It is, however, compromised to benefit Sydney so you really have no reason to be complaining.

Again... I'm not complaining. I'm not sure where people are getting it that I'm complaining. o_O

If we were important to the AFL for the West of Melbourne let us play there (or in Geelong so we can profit) and give us some explosure to develop rather being thrown in the garbage bin slots. It's all I want.

I don't care if we play the top 4 twice only, we need to beat the best to be the best but the financial side is hurting us. Our home games of big victorian teams are on a Sunday too at Ehtiad is not going to help us. They also had no problem increasing our intersate travel and lessen our day breaks inbetween. Meanwhile others get more exposure each year for just beign a bigger club, what hope do we have of getting better if they give Collingwood 7 Friday nights for example.

They proably looked at the ladder and thought ''hey you have higher on the ladder to get free to air\Friday Night '' is they saw all bigger clubs at the top end at the moment and decided to take advantage.

At lest some clubs like Collingwood realize this and are trying to get us in a big game to promote disabilities awareness and Geelong offering there home ground to profit but the AFl appear to be blocking it over there silly agrement to docklands.

Fixture will never be fair to everyone when its based on money.

/semi rant

Who's sooking?

Again. I fully accept that the Swans have had an easy start to the year. I'm making the point that Hawks, Cats and Pies get similar easy stretches, and it's a bizarre trick of the fixture that all four teams are expected to finish Top 4. The point of this thread was actually to speculate on why this occurred.

Yeah, it's definitely worthy of discussion. What are the chances of it being coincidence?

Unfortunately the thread was derailed pretty quickly.

I suspect most sides would like 4 weeks off in a row (like the Hawks have starting last week) in the middle of the season. Maybe a couple of weeks later (you don't want to be playing duds coming into finals), but really, all teams are going to play easy games at some stage. While we don't have a rolling draw/fixture, it's always going to be out of whack.

Yeah, it's definitely worthy of discussion. What are the chances of it being coincidence?

Unfortunately the thread was derailed pretty quickly.

That was all I wanted to discuss. The fact that it's clearly not a coincidence, and that therefore it's interesting that the AFL is helping the Top 4 teams in some noticeable way.

Unfortunately you're right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I'm calling it as well... a choke due to fatigue. In the same way that the Roos were out on their feet against you and were unable to hold their lead.
Yeah, it's not like Fremantle have massive injury concerns. You twit.

What's with Sydney fans and their entitlement culture?

Its more to do the teams that are played twice and maybe travel. Now Collingwood have a relatively comfortable run coming as do Hawthorn but that is due to the tougher run early. In fact considering the teams Collingwood play twice (Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney, Carlton and North) I'd say that's a challenging draw.

Everyone looks at the ladder positions currently tp assess the remaining draw but to a degree they aren't relevant until everyone has matched up against most other sides. Every team has a crack at the lower teams at one point or another, so its no good complaining when it inevitably happens that it is unfair. If a team has GC GWS, Dees or dogs twice than to a point they luck in. Similar to Adelaide and North last year. 22 games 18 teams will produce those outcomes thou.

Yeah, it's not like Fremantle have massive injury concerns. You twit.

What's with Sydney fans and their entitlement culture?

Where did I say it had anything to do with injuries? My point is that we were up by 27 so should have won. Instead we choked due to fatigue and lost. What's so groundbreaking?

Yeah right OP. Lets just forget that GC are actually semi competitive and that Melbourne are pathetic.

July 7 Sydney vs Melbourne
July 14 Sydney vs GWS

Soft run to start the year. Soft run yet again in the middle of the year.

So then how was it a soft run to start the year if we played a 'semi-competitive' team in Round 2?

My point is just that the Top 4 teams all have soft spots in their draw at various points - the Hawks current month (Rnd 8-11), the Pies month around their Bye (Rnd 10-14), and the Cats around theirs. (Rnd 9-13)

Why must people start these threads? A draw is a draw, get over it.

That's what I'm calling it as well... a choke due to fatigue. In the same way that the Roos were out on their feet against you and were unable to hold their lead.

Why was Sydney more fatigued than Freo. We'd just come off Coll, GC, Rich and Hawks and Sydney had just played Hawks, Bris, St K and Geelong. Fairly similar fixture and considering our outs we should've been the team fatigued.

Why was Sydney more fatigued than Freo. We'd just come off Coll, GC, Rich and Hawks and Sydney had just played Hawks, Bris, St K and Geelong. Fairly similar fixture and considering our outs we should've been the team fatigued.

Why were the Roos more fatigued than the Crows?

So why did Hawks get GWS then GC as well? Which is kind of the point of this thread.

nah but when they did win the flag in 2008, the following year their draw was:

v Geelong (MCG)
v Sydney (Sydney)
v North Melb (Etihad)
v Port Adel (MCG)
v West Coast (York Park)
v Carlton (MCG)
v Essendon (Etihad)
v Fremantle (Subiaco)
v Melbourne (MCG)

Same as the Cats for their recent flag in 2011, following fixture was:

v Fremantle (Subiaco)
v Hawthorn (MCG)
v North Melb (Etihad)
v Richmond (Geelong)
v Brisbane (Brisbane)
v Melbourne (Geelong)
v Adelaide (Adelaide)
v Collingwood (MCG)
v Bulldogs (Etihad)

Sydney's draw for 2013:

v GWS (Sydney)
v Suns (Sydney)
v North Melb (Tasmania)
v Geelong (Sydney)
v St Kilda (New Zealand)
v Brisbane (Sydney)
v Hawthorn (MCG)
v Fremantle (Sydney)
v Collingwood (MCG)

nah but when they did win the flag in 2008, the following year their draw was:

v Geelong (MCG)
v Sydney (Sydney)
v North Melb (Etihad)
v Port Adel (MCG)
v West Coast (York Park)
v Carlton (MCG)
v Essendon (Etihad)
v Fremantle (Subiaco)
v Melbourne (MCG)

Same as the Cats for their recent flag in 2011, following fixture was:

v Fremantle (Subiaco)
v Hawthorn (MCG)
v North Melb (Etihad)
v Richmond (Geelong)
v Brisbane (Brisbane)
v Melbourne (Geelong)
v Adelaide (Adelaide)
v Collingwood (MCG)
v Bulldogs (Etihad)

Funnily enough North always seems to get drawn in Round 3 against the reigning Premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairness of the Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back