Family Day - Thoughts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny, Pearce had some absolute brain farts in his disposal.

We look worse then Gws atm.

EDIT: FWIW H2 was the only AFL sized player, who was actually an imposing size. Many looked tiny.

Thanks to everyone for posting, but talk about popping the balloon.

Fragile optimism built up over the last three months, thinking that we just have to improve...........shot down in flames.

Sounds bloody depressing with all the negative critiques posted here. Even Ford, who does a brilliant job of keeping some flicker of positive vibe burning, spoke volumes in what he didn't comment on.;)

C'mon team - give us something........

Fragile optimism built up over the last three months, thinking that we just have to improve...........shot down in flames.

Sounds bloody depressing with all the negative critiques posted here. Even Ford, who does a brilliant job of keeping some flicker of positive vibe burning, spoke volumes in what he didn't comment on.;)

I often wonder how much can be taken from internal trials. It must be difficult when you're playing your team mates and when both teams, in effect, would know exactly what the tactics of the other team are.

The observations are a bit deflating and of most concern is the talk of poor skill level. I still think it will be another 4 weeks, with performances against other clubs, before we can make any accurate assessment of where we are.

I often wonder how much can be taken from internal trials. It must be difficult when you're playing your team mates and when both teams, in effect, would know exactly what the tactics of the other team are.

The observations are a bit deflating and of most concern is the talk of poor skill level. I still think it will be another 4 weeks, with performances against other clubs, before we can make any accurate assessment of where we are.

What continues to concern me is that we haven't put enough emphasis on improving our skills in any preseason since 2007. Every year, it's about getting bigger, stronger, defensively superior, fitter, harder, tougher.........we've been coughing up the footy ad nauseum for 4 years and no one in the playing or coaching group seems to have noticed enough to flag it as something we really, really need to work on.

Doesn't matter how good our defensive skills are, if we continue to turn the footy over especially coming out of defence or through the centre corridor, our defenders will always be under the pump.

Yes I think that what disappointed me was the skills by foot. Foot skills are like customer service in this day and age. Ie, you shouldn't have to get excited when it's above average, that should be a not negotiable.

At one point it was like rugby union.

Early days I guess.

There were positives though guys. Most of the guys we have high expectations looked solid, and boy Ah Chee impressed me. Wingard, Ebert and McCarthy too.
Our list is much much better than last year

Oh and pretty sure Young kicked a goal : )

:) PJ you are over analysing my non-comments.

As a veteran trial watcher - and as SPG has alluded to - I find it pointless to comment on most things in informal internal trial hit outs, especially over the short time I watched this particular run around.

It was like a mini league game for grown ups - just imagine 32-34 footballers chasing the ball all over the park. Everything was done in congestion so there will be skill errors. Both teams contained second and third string players so overall the two internal teams will make mistakes.

For me this hit out was more for gauging fitness levels and having a look at the young guys under some sort of pressure. Commenting on senior players is all but pointless becasue they generally have a lower gear they will work with in this setting and really you know what to expect from most of them by now. Having said that, Boak and Gray were stand outs for their skill and workrate.

I disagree with a couple here about overall size and fitness. They looked bigger and stronger to me and the mini league relentless running in warm conditions indicated improved aerobic fitness capacity on last year.

The new draftees showed a bit, Wingard was class and the pre-draft almost unknown Ah Chee was a handful. Even Blee did a couple of things, remembering too he's coming off glandular fever. That Renouf and Thomas played was a pleasant surprise and the recruits Renouf, Ebert and McCarthy all showed good signs.

Sure I saw some of the less exciting signs that others have observed here, which tempers my enthusiasm. Jacobs helicoptered a couple early (one was touched off the boot in congestion to be fair), I'm still no way to being convinced Pearce can hit a target with a precision kick, a few were unsighted by me (altho Natman assures me Paul Stewart played and improved :p). But again it's an internal trial in a family day in February.

Even my usual optimism is geared toward a 6-8 win season with no horrible blowout defeats as my benchmark. Based on what I saw last night - allied to a belief that a more settled team and coaching structure, better fitness levels, increased self-belief and belief in the coaching group's methods and direction and young players coming through who can lift the overall performance of the team - this gradual but continuing improvement is achievable.

The lazy farts have used a pic during the trade period when they first heard about Ebert wanting to come to Port Adelaide and they initially thought Motlop would be involved in the trade lol

I was wondering why Motlop was in the article

Just having a quick read of some other teams Trial Games Threads,

Got to the first thread 'Carlton' and have already found;

Overall skills weren't great, there were heaps of out of bounds on the full kicks. And some shocking hand balls.

Looks like there will be heaps of teams getting the wooden spoon after this week. No one will win a game this year imo.

I'm going to guess our skills were down because of the intense mental and physical pressure that both sides exerted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta say I was very disappointed at the number of times the midfield got the ball and there was noone inside 50 to kick to

As well as how easily we got burned on the rebound. These 2 things killed us last year and I'm worried they haven't been addressed

As for the play, I was most impressed with gray, boak, wingard, rodan, ahchee, and phillips

How can we get burned on the rebound - who by, the PAFC defence - then isn't that a good sign.:confused:

I meant when there was a turnover mid field that the offensive team were running forward and being chased. There was no one goal side of the ball

How many times last year did we see other teams run the 100 meters into goal with us just trailing.

I dunno, I hated how often I saw it last year and I saw it a few times last night. The geelongs of the afl would have a field day and I was hoping those holes in the game plan had been fixed :-(

:)

Even my usual optimism is geared toward a 6-8 win season with no horrible blowout defeats as my benchmark. Based on what I saw last night - allied to a belief that a more settled team and coaching structure, better fitness levels, increased self-belief and belief in the coaching group's methods and direction and young players coming through who can lift the overall performance of the team - this gradual but continuing improvement is achievable.

Ford, ever the rock of this board.

Again it astounds me how much bigger Hamish looks than the rest; after what, 3 years on the list? He deserves his spot in the leadership group by example alone.

DanMotlop246AA.jpg

Attachments

• DanMotlop246AA.jpg
    DanMotlop246AA.jpg
    347 bytes · Views: 22
I meant when there was a turnover mid field that the offensive team were running forward and being chased. There was no one goal side of the ball

How many times last year did we see other teams run the 100 meters into goal with us just trailing.

I dunno, I hated how often I saw it last year and I saw it a few times last night. The geelongs of the afl would have a field day and I was hoping those holes in the game plan had been fixed :-(

Yeah, I know what you mean - I was being a bit flippant on your observation and expectation that the holes in the game plan would be fixed in one pre-season - that is too high an expectation at this time of the year, or ever.

It won't be completely fixed, because doesn't that mean we will never see it happen again - on the way to winning the flag? No game plan is flawless.
It happens to the best teams - I saw it in the NAB games last night to Hawthorn.

I think we just need to see the game plan, whatever that is, executed better - and this means at times there will be holes punched in it - even in internal trials.

Well after reading all of the posts on here and elsewhere I am now a happy PAFC chappy.

Ignoring all the negative bits and pieces it sounds as if the upward curve has finally started, but one word of warning from an old head. Do not expect all of our problems/issues to be fixed at once, it will not happen. It never does.

Positives:
Some of our finds from last year are on the improve and at least one of them (O'Shea) has gone from "he is only getting a #@#$%# game because of his age" to "he was close to if not BOG".
The others from last year have either improved a tad or even more importantly, not gone backwards.
Our 3 trades all look as if will they will be in our best 22 and improve our side. That is +4 on last year so far.
1-2 of our recruits look like finds. That makes it + 5 or 6.

6 out of 22 is nearly 30% and 5 out of 22 is more than 20%.
20- 30% of our starting 22 will be an improvement on last year and that is not including the players that did not play.

Now how many players will go backwards? No Brogan, no Chad etc. I do not think it will be anywhere near 20-30% based on the number of games they played last year and the fact they were on the downside of their careers.

So far so good. Look at the positives people and do not expect the impossible to happen, ie for every single tactical move to work or every single recruit to become a star from day 1.

Well after reading all of the posts on here and elsewhere I am now a happy PAFC chappy.

Ignoring all the negative bits and pieces it sounds as if the upward curve has finally started, but one word of warning from an old head. Do not expect all of our problems/issues to be fixed at once, it will not happen. It never does.

Positives:
Some of our finds from last year are on the improve and at least one of them (O'Shea) has gone from "he is only getting a #@#$%# game because of his age" to "he was close to if not BOG".
The others from last year have either improved a tad or even more importantly, not gone backwards.
Our 3 trades all look as if will they will be in our best 22 and improve our side. That is +4 on last year so far.
1-2 of our recruits look like finds. That makes it + 5 or 6.

6 out of 22 is nearly 30% and 5 out of 22 is more than 20%.
20- 30% of our starting 22 will be an improvement on last year and that is not including the players that did not play.

Now how many players will go backwards? No Brogan, no Chad etc. I do not think it will be anywhere near 20-30% based on the number of games they played last year and the fact they were on the downside of their careers.

So far so good. Look at the positives people and do not expect the impossible to happen, ie for every single tactical move to work or every single recruit to become a star from day 1.

Agree with your thoughts - there will be an improvement, but the issue is, how much and whether it will translate into wins and how many more than last season.

The clubs has done the pre-season well with the resources available and on my analysis, I reckon we have about 15 players on the list now who were originally drafted at pick 20 or less - if we can get them on the park all together then there is room for optimism and no more excuses.

Let's face it guys, all this talk of improvement at this time of year is pure guess work and blind optimism. What is it based on? Our excellent white water rafting skills in New Zealand?? The fact we are unbeaten in 2012?? The 5aa All Stars coaching panel?? I'd prefer we just reserve our judgement until we see evidence of improvement under the pressure of serious competition. The one positive I can see which is obvious is the health of the group and lack of serious injuries at this stage. Keep the fingers crossed cos as we know this can change in the space of 1 week. I want to see proof that our disposal skills and fitness have improved because last year I reckon we would have been ranked about 17th in both categories.

My thoughts:

Hamish, Boak, Brad and Gray look a good size. Especially Boaky who looks much bigger.

Because of their size those 4 all played pretty well, but weren't exceptional.

BOG was O'Shea, especially lit up in the second half. Had about 8 touches in 5 minutes at one point and they were all good.

Ah Chee and Wingard were also very impressive, they did some smart things.

Overall the skills were very poor but then again what do you expect in a scrappy trial?

Good to hear my buddy O'Shea was very good, expecting to hear about him on the vic news at SOME point this year and in a good way. :D

Couldn't find much comment on Simon Phillips, does anyone have any news on him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back