Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

There is only one thing worse than having a detailed plan, and that is deluding yourself into thinking that a detailed plan is going to come even close to fruition. it is a complete and utter waste of time. fun, but a waste of time.

heck, plans i make about potential trades on Monday are invariably changed 4 days later when teams come out, yet we're prepared to make plans for 5-7 weeks down the track? don't get me wrong, if you have spare time then it's a fun thing to do but nothing will eventuate as we plan them to be.

There is only one thing worse than having a detailed plan, and that is deluding yourself into thinking that a detailed plan is going to come even close to fruition. it is a complete and utter waste of time. fun, but a waste of time.

heck, plans i make about potential trades on Monday are invariably changed 4 days later when teams come out, yet we're prepared to make plans for 5-7 weeks down the track? don't get me wrong, if you have spare time then it's a fun thing to do but nothing will eventuate as we plan them to be.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail!

Please forgive the cliche.

I agree that our plans can differ from the eventual reality that takes place but that does not make planning entirely fruitless. In the context of the round 11, 12 & 13 byes, planning a structure for a team to adopt in order to avoid as many donuts as possible is paramount. If a coach has not organised some kind of structure to negotiate the byes then they will definitely tumble in the rankings and make some regrettable trades during the bye rounds.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail!

Please forgive the cliche.

I agree that our plans can differ from the eventual reality that takes place but that does not make planning entirely fruitless. In the context of the round 11, 12 & 13 byes, planning a structure for a team to adopt in order to avoid as many donuts as possible is paramount. If a coach has not organised some kind of structure to negotiate the byes then they will definitely tumble in the rankings and make some regrettable trades during the bye rounds.

I agree, but that sort of planning should've been done prior to round 1. spending trades now in order to balance up bye issues is not planning, it's wasteful because it's more than probably that a couple of unforeseen events will occur that will render your plans useless. don't get me wrong, it's reasonable to have some sort of plan in mind, i.e., i'm going to bring in Horsely next week, but to try and predict who you will be starting in round 13 and which rookies will need to play for you in round 12 etc is going to end in disappointment, i guarantee it.

I agree, but that sort of planning should've been done prior to round 1. spending trades now in order to balance up bye issues is not planning, it's wasteful because it's more than probably that a couple of unforeseen events will occur that will render your plans useless. don't get me wrong, it's reasonable to have some sort of plan in mind, i.e., i'm going to bring in Horsely next week, but to try and predict who you will be starting in round 13 and which rookies will need to play for you in round 12 etc is going to end in disappointment, i guarantee it.

There is nothing wrong with having an 'ideal' plan knowing that some compromises will have to be made along the way.

The rookies that become available as downgrade targets more or less dictate certain choices. We are now at round 6 and most teams are settled on a particular path and coaches can at least make a guess at when more rookies may be viable as a downgrade option. Anticipating these moves will become more important as we approach the byes.

It will be interesting to see the difference between monty's planned trades vs actual trades after round 13.

i just think that saying "some compromises will have to be made" is an understatement of epic proportions.

I guess we will see after round 13 just how 'epic' the difference is between the plan and the outcome.

There is definitely the possibilty of a complete meltdown and the fallout could be catastrophic.

I'm not against planning 2-3 weeks in advance as it gives you the ability to know what your going to do and who your watching in advance. Though if your planning 5-6 weeks in advance then expect a lot to change.

Okay, my initial team:

B – Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Fisher, Broughton, Lake, Morris (Ellis*, Docherty)
M – Ablett(c), Fyfe, Chapman, Scotland, McDonald, Shiel (C.Smith*, Magner)
R – Mumford, Redden (Giles, Stephenson)
F – Goodes, Pavlich, Zaharakis, N. Riewoldt, Porplyzia, D.Smith, A. Kennedy (Hall*, Couch)

- I left $300K on the bench as I didn't know who else to have in my initial team
- Docherty and Couch were my smokies as I read they were guns. Couch was named as an emergency in round 1 and was rookie priced with F/M DPP. Docherty was coming back from an injury and was a high draft pick with D/M DPP. The DPP link was handy.
- Mumford I chose as he was amazing in the last few weeks of 2011. Mumford also had GWS in round 1 so it was a chance to take advantage of the captain loophole against GWS
- The ruck setup was 1-3 and like most I just saw too much value in the rookie rucks. Giles has obviously come as a blessing for those who have the 1-3 set-up especially with premium rucks falling over left, right and centre
- Porp/N.Roo was just too much value
- Normally, I wouldn't chose a player like Zaharakis (even though I'm an Essendon supporter), but with Zahrakis joining the leadership team at EFC I decided to take a chance.
- The structure of the team is actually 6BAC-1MID-1RUC-6FWD with Lake and Porp as Docherty/Couch are actually in the midfield instead of Scotland/Chappy.

Round 2 Trades

Lake > Bugg (par)
Porp > Harvey (par)

After watching Bugg's (great) and Lake's (horrible) first game, it was possibly a knee jerk reaction, but I'm glad I have Bugg in my side. Had the spare cash so jumped on Boomer as I figured that Porp was more of a SC than DT.

Round 3

Broughton > Malceski (bad)
Docherty > Greene (good)

Read that Docherty re-injured himself, so I had to bite the bullet. Greene was on the bubble. Broughton was beginning to annoy me and like Lake as soon as I traded Broughton out he runs riot. I will cop it sweet on the chin with my Broughton trade. I don't mind my Malceski trade, except that he got subbed off last week with an injury, not happy!

Round 4

Fyfe > Murphy (good)
Mumford > Ryder (good)

Again, I bit the bullet early on both these trades, as I wasn't happy with Mumford's first game against GWS and he just didn't seem right. Ryder was traded in due to durability and solid start to the year. I traded Fyfe out as I was worried about this shoulder not holdng up and traded Murphy in for obvious reasons (ie he is a champ)

Round 5

A.Kennedy > Buddy (par)
C.Smith > Treloar (par)

Kennedy was rested so I thought I might as well get Buddy, which is probably two weeks too early. I actually planned to trade in Buddy at Round 7 for SuperCoach and Dream Team, but in Dream Team, I made an exception as I just had the funds and the trades available. The obvious reasons for not having Buddy in my starting team was due to the Hawks tough draw in the first 6 weeks. With C.Smith I thought it was time to say goodbye.

Round 6

D.Smith > Horsley (par)

With Ablett on the bench, I decided to do this trade a week early. It is a bit of a gamble, but Horsley's fantasy football history at the lower level is amazing. Most GCS supporters thought Horsley was in the best 5 for GCS on debut. Sometimes a good DT/SC score doesn't equate to a good game, but the majority of GCS supporters on the teamboard thought Horsley was in the best 5 last week.

Current Team (as of Round 6)

B – Goddard, Deledio, Scotland, Shaw, Fisher, Malceski, Bugg (Morris, Ellis)
M – Murphy(c), Magner, Greene, Shiel, McDonald, Horsley (Ablett, Treloar)
R – Ryder, Giles (Redden, Stephenson)
F – Goodes, Pavlich, Zaharakis, Chapman, N. Riewoldt, Franklin, Harvey (Hall, Couch)

My current ranking is 47,955 and obviously I am not very happy, but I'm hoping to come home strong. Trading out Broughton and Lake is obviously a mistake, but the Broughton mistake was magnified by Fyfes' injury, ie Broughton will now take some of Fyfe's midfield time. You can't predict that so I'll stand by my Broughton decision.

It's been a tough start to 2012 and perhaps, I should be kicked out of the Famous DT Coaches thread... :) However, strangely, I'm very happy with my team right now, especially now that the midfield rookies are coming home strong. I am hoping to make some ground during the byes.

Thank you Impromptu for sharing a complete breakdown of your decisions thus far. With so many rookie priced players in the midfield you certainly have some cojones for holding Ablett.

Okay, my initial team:

B – Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Fisher, Broughton, Lake, Morris (Ellis*, Docherty)
M – Ablett(c), Fyfe, Chapman, Scotland, McDonald, Shiel (C.Smith*, Magner)
R – Mumford, Redden (Giles, Stephenson)
F – Goodes, Pavlich, Zaharakis, N. Riewoldt, Porplyzia, D.Smith, A. Kennedy (Hall*, Couch)

- I left $300K on the bench as I didn't know who else to have in my initial team
- Docherty and Couch were my smokies as I read they were guns. Couch was named as an emergency in round 1 and was rookie priced with F/M DPP. Docherty was coming back from an injury and was a high draft pick with D/M DPP. The DPP link was handy.
- Mumford I chose as he was amazing in the last few weeks of 2011. Mumford also had GWS in round 1 so it was a chance to take advantage of the captain loophole against GWS
- The ruck setup was 1-3 and like most I just saw too much value in the rookie rucks. Giles has obviously come as a blessing for those who have the 1-3 set-up especially with premium rucks falling over left, right and centre
- Porp/N.Roo was just too much value
- Normally, I wouldn't chose a player like Zaharakis (even though I'm an Essendon supporter), but with Zahrakis joining the leadership team at EFC I decided to take a chance.
- The structure of the team is actually 6BAC-1MID-1RUC-6FWD with Lake and Porp as Docherty/Couch are actually in the midfield instead of Scotland/Chappy.

Round 2 Trades

Lake > Bugg (par)
Porp > Harvey (par)

After watching Bugg's (great) and Lake's (horrible) first game, it was possibly a knee jerk reaction, but I'm glad I have Bugg in my side. Had the spare cash so jumped on Boomer as I figured that Porp was more of a SC than DT.

Round 3

Broughton > Malceski (bad)
Docherty > Greene (good)

Read that Docherty re-injured himself, so I had to bite the bullet. Greene was on the bubble. Broughton was beginning to annoy me and like Lake as soon as I traded Broughton out he runs riot. I will cop it sweet on the chin with my Broughton trade. I don't mind my Malceski trade, except that he got subbed off last week with an injury, not happy!

Round 4

Fyfe > Murphy (good)
Mumford > Ryder (good)

Again, I bit the bullet early on both these trades, as I wasn't happy with Mumford's first game against GWS and he just didn't seem right. Ryder was traded in due to durability and solid start to the year. I traded Fyfe out as I was worried about this shoulder not holdng up and traded Murphy in for obvious reasons (ie he is a champ)

Round 5

A.Kennedy > Buddy (par)
C.Smith > Treloar (par)

Kennedy was rested so I thought I might as well get Buddy, which is probably two weeks too early. I actually planned to trade in Buddy at Round 7 for SuperCoach and Dream Team, but in Dream Team, I made an exception as I just had the funds and the trades available. The obvious reasons for not having Buddy in my starting team was due to the Hawks tough draw in the first 6 weeks. With C.Smith I thought it was time to say goodbye.

Round 6

D.Smith > Horsley (par)

With Ablett on the bench, I decided to do this trade a week early. It is a bit of a gamble, but Horsley's fantasy football history at the lower level is amazing. Most GCS supporters thought Horsley was in the best 5 for GCS on debut. Sometimes a good DT/SC score doesn't equate to a good game, but the majority of GCS supporters on the teamboard thought Horsley was in the best 5 last week.

Current Team (as of Round 6)

B – Goddard, Deledio, Scotland, Shaw, Fisher, Malceski, Bugg (Morris, Ellis)
M – Murphy(c), Magner, Greene, Shiel, McDonald, Horsley (Ablett, Treloar)
R – Ryder, Giles (Redden, Stephenson)
F – Goodes, Pavlich, Zaharakis, Chapman, N. Riewoldt, Franklin, Harvey (Hall, Couch)

My current ranking is 47,955 and obviously I am not very happy, but I'm hoping to come home strong. Trading out Broughton and Lake is obviously a mistake, but the Broughton mistake was magnified by Fyfes' injury, ie Broughton will now take some of Fyfe's midfield time. You can't predict that so I'll stand by my Broughton decision.

It's been a tough start to 2012 and perhaps, I should be kicked out of the Famous DT Coaches thread... :) However, strangely, I'm very happy with my team right now, especially now that the midfield rookies are coming home strong. I am hoping to make some ground during the byes.

Well done. Your 2012 ineptness in nicely articulated. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you Impromptu for sharing a complete breakdown of your decisions thus far. With so many rookie priced players in the midfield you certainly have some cojones for holding Ablett.

+1

Thanks for the posts guys. Good thread.

Made two trades this weekend, so I am now down to 21.

Ablett -> Pendlebury (Was actually close to Stanton, just thought I would let that high score drop off first... HINDSIGHT)
This trade frees up some cash as well and I have a feeling that Pendlebury will be one of the top scoring midfielders by season end, so that is good enough for me. If Ablett comes back in two weeks, it will be a little disappointing and maybe a waste of trade. I could have done better potentially trading Conglio to Horsely, noticing what he scored on the weekend.

Fyfe -> SJ
He demolished Melbourne last year, was cheap in price and should be a top forward by the end of the season. Zaharakis was the other consideration at the time and I would not be upset having Zaharakis in my side in the future.

The Ablett trade I am still unsure if I made the correct call, I just feel that even if I want to get him back into my squad, he should at some point become a heap cheaper.

EDIT: I remember another issue, I could not afford SJ if I did not trade Ablett. I think I could not even afford Zaharakis, so maybe that was another driving factor into getting rid or Ablett. I think ROK would have been my other choice from a $$$ point of view.

My trades for the week were crab like:
Out: GAblett
In: Swan

Out: Fyfe
In: Buddy

The way I have been going, the Buddy trade was partially because I think he is at the end of that tough run but probably as much a homer pick in that now I can stop sending bad vibes at him to prove my preseason prediction correct! ;-)

Apologies this week go to the Swans fans. Yes, I have Goodes and surely its the only explanation for him getting injured just when he was running into really good form!

On a brighter note, barring something really really bad happening, should return the the 2k+ club this week!

FAMOUS DT COACHES - Round 5 Report

R52012.png

TRADES:

FanFooty EDT (19)
Adam Kennedy
Adam Treloar

Team Director (16)
Courtenay Dempsey
Brett Deledio

Gary Ablett
Adam Treloar

Impromptu SCE (16)
Clay Smith
Adam Treloar

Adam Kennedy
Lance Franklin

Dylan’s FFC (19)
Clay Smith
Adam Treloar

Adam Kennedy
Mitch Robinson

VinegarStrokes EDT (23)
Tory Dickson
Adam Treloar

AFLSpace.com Hacks (21)

Chook Raffle (20)
Bernie Vince
Adam Treloar

vamsee (19)
James Magner
Scott Pendlebury

Devon Smith
Adam Treloar

The Baxters (20)

Warne Dawgs (20)
Clay Smith
Adam Treloar

Gary Ablett
Dane Swan

Slight amendment to my plan this week: still going Devon to Adams, but I think I will swap the back targets so that I get Heppell in this week for Ellis, and wait a week on downgrading Morris to Spurr. The reason for that is Hep's recent high scores have left him with a low BE, plus it makes more sense to be able to start Hep a week earlier - albeit against the Eagles who might limit his scoring.

That leaves the pre-bye plan as follows (updated prices):

Post-R6 ($270k)
D.Smith -> T.Adams (+120k)
Ellis -> Heppell (-205k)

Post-R7 ($185k)
Morris -> Spurr (+120k)
Shiel -> MMurphy (-260k)

Post-R8 ($45k)
McDonald -> Haynes (+170k)
Greene -> Rockliff (-120k)

Hmm, but with Goodes down for six weeks now, that requires a rethink.

Goodes is a 12 bye, which makes it tricky. I could just go Goodes down to Adams, keep Devon, and eat two byes in R11 instead of one in R11 and one in R12. That's the path of least resistance. But it would leave me at the end of the bye period still having to start one of Devon, Adams and Treloar every week.

^ Yep, was going to say last week that one LTI is likely to throw most of those week-by-week plans out the window! I just tend to "plan ahead" in 2-3 week blocks, and avail myself of the best opportunities that arise expectedly/unexpectedly.

GL to all.

To comment on the long term plan idea, I did it last year and it worked out really well. I did it in a spread sheet and at any time I would swap between 1 to 3 different plans depending on what I did that week. It actually is really helpful to plan a lot of weeks out.

I really need to do it again soon to help totally get my heads around the bye weeks as although the FootyNerd bookmarklet (http://blog.footynerd.com/) is great to see the Byes of your current team, I just confuse myself to death thinking about how I am moving players around through the bye weeks.

I did find last year that you have to not get wed to any of your planned moves but having them planned out means that even if you have a injury or bad score that doesn't go to these plans, at least you can see where you are going to be effected.

I think also in this planning you have to be really conservative! Under estimate the growth in Cash Cows and over exaggerate the increase in premiums.

Just my thoughts.

To comment on the long term plan idea, I did it last year and it worked out really well. I did it in a spread sheet and at any time I would swap between 1 to 3 different plans depending on what I did that week. It actually is really helpful to plan a lot of weeks out.

I really need to do it again soon to help totally get my heads around the bye weeks as although the FootyNerd bookmarklet (http://blog.footynerd.com/) is great to see the Byes of your current team, I just confuse myself to death thinking about how I am moving players around through the bye weeks.

I did find last year that you have to not get wed to any of your planned moves but having them planned out means that even if you have a injury or bad score that doesn't go to these plans, at least you can see where you are going to be effected.

I think also in this planning you have to be really conservative! Under estimate the growth in Cash Cows and over exaggerate the increase in premiums.

Just my thoughts.

Well said Molly.

I find it hard to articulate what I want to say at times but you pretty much nailed it.

Are there any famous coaches out there with plans like m0nty's that are willing to divulge their blueprint?

New plan! I feel like I'm not the only coach who is going to start cutting out trades from their plan and add donuts, as this seems like a worthwhile trade-off the longer it goes.

If I commit to keeping Morris longer, I save two trades and eat one extra donut, plus I don't sideways trade Birchall out as I can trade Morris out then instead.

Post-R6 ($270k, 17 trades)
Goodes -> T.Adams (+320k)
Ellis -> Heppell (-205k)

Post-R7 ($385k)
Shiel -> MMurphy (-260k)

Post-R8 ($125k)
Greene -> Rockliff (-120k) dodgy as, might not even be necessary if Greene keeps scoring!

Two R11 donuts in forwards for Adams, Treloar, Porplyzia and Smith

Post-R11 trades (5k):
Magner -> Zorko (+250k)

No R12 donuts

Post-R12 trades ($255k):
Morris -> Buntine (+150k)
Horsley -> Boyd (-200k)
Hall -> Pavlich (-150k)

Two R13 donuts in backs for Birchall, Goddard, Deledio, Scotland

That leaves me with 9 trades for the last 10 rounds. Clarke/Bugg at B7/8, Rockliff/McDonald at M6/7, Porplyzia at F6, Adams/Devon at F7/8. Obviously weak in the forwards but have the trades to fix it once the madness is over. I like this plan a lot better than the others, actually. No sideways for premiums, all legit trades making full use of the price rollercoaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back