Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've been making "two week planned trades" for the past month and I don't think I've been able to follow that to plan once as there's always something that affects that! Initially I was going to bring in Beams for Magner last round (with D.Smith going to Pfeiffer/Horsley) but with Magner scoring well in round 5 I postponed that for a week to make a bit of extra cash. Having not looked into it in detail yet (Dreamteam appears to be down...) I think I may have made a mistake although it's too early to call.

My round 6 trades:

First off I'll show my line up in my midfield and forward line which is/was going to cause a few issues for the up and coming round.

Midfield: Ablett, Watson, S.Thompson, J.Selwood, Magner, McDonald EMG Shiel and Treloar

Forwards:
Robinson, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Chapman, Franklin, D.Martin, D.Smith EMG Smedts and Dickson

So going into the round, my midfield had Ablett and Treloar who weren't named and J.Selwood who hadn't trained all week and was a big chance to miss. I did have the option of moving D.Smith into the midfield and having Smedts cover the final spot to avoid any zeros. That said, I wanted to go on Pfeiffer/Horsley so I could then do my final forward upgrade this week along with having the option to still downgrade to the likes of Neale or anyone else that impressed as well as cashing in on D.Smith who looked set to stay around his price (little did I know he was going to come out and score 90+ after I moved him!).

So that said, I made my first trade of:

D.Smith > Horsley (Treloar to the forwards)

Which now meant I could put Horsley on for Ablett and put Shiel as emg in case Selwood missed.

My second trade ended up being:

Morris > Pfeiffer

Perhaps a little stupid, but I still wanted to jump on Pfeiffer even after his underwhelming game against the Crows as he offers: DPP, mature aged recruit, in a weak Port Adelaide side who'd just lost Gray for the season and another ~100k in the bank. Not wanting to move on any of Dickson, Smedts or Treloar, I decided I'd move Smedts to the backline for Morris (split Smedts and Dickson up so they're not on the same bench! :p) and Morris down to Pfeiffer. This then meant I also got to start Pfeiffer over Smedts who managed to score 4 in a quarter of footy the week before so that appeared to be a win. Unfortantly Pfeiffer started as a sub, he was lucky enough to get subbed on at quarter time but unfortunately he was pretty pathetic (as was most of the Port Adelaide side for that matter) so I have a feeling I might have another zero sitting on my bench this weekend....

I don't think I was ever going to trade Ablett either. I did finally give it some minor thought on Friday when I thought I could be losing a bit more as he was my only clear cut captain option but I figured that it certainly wasn't a move that was going to be a "win" for me even if he missed the next 3 weeks.

On a side note, after having a poor 3 round captain average of 87 prior to round 6 (94 from Watson in round 4, 97 from Ablett in round 4 ,69 from Selwood in round 5) I decided I'd spend a little more time on my captain choice this week. My two main options of Watson and Thompson both had poor averages against the teams they were coming up against (of course I always thought they'd be a good chance to crack 100 but when Thompson hadn't done so against Syd since 07, I wasn't so sure on giving him the big C). Selwood scored 173 for memory against Melbourne last year when he played them, even though he was a good chance to miss I decided to give him the big C as there was someone else I was keen on going for. That being my new recruit in Robinson against GWS, so by making him my VC I figured that it would be the DT gods doing by making J.Selwood out thus making him my captain. :D Thankfully for me, it paid off!

This week:

I now have over 300k in the bank as I look to finish off my forward line by adding Beams into my side. Not wanting to sound too confident but I really like the direction my side is going with a number of my midpricers looking in great shape giving me a number of extra "keepers" over most current sides. I expect my side to rank quite well in the next few weeks (touch wood) and for it to go backwards once the byes hit. I still don't plan to be trading hard to avoid single zeros come the byes, I'm happy to handle some short term pain as I believe it will be a long term gain by having trades up my sleeve.

Hmm, but with Goodes down for six weeks now, that requires a rethink.

Goodes is a 12 bye, which makes it tricky. I could just go Goodes down to Adams, keep Devon, and eat two byes in R11 instead of one in R11 and one in R12. That's the path of least resistance. But it would leave me at the end of the bye period still having to start one of Devon, Adams and Treloar every week.

Question for the famous coaches, since some of you are also think outside the square type coaches. Would it be worthwhile hanging on to Goodes on your mid bench if you already had 5 premo mids + Horsely & Greene waxing at M6 & 6 genuine premo forwards + Devon & Treloar waxing @ F7?

My point is, if he misses 6 weeks exactly, he will be back after the Swans bye and could easily slot him back to F7 thus saving a trade in the process without losing any (too many) points. Your collective thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Are there any famous coaches out there with plans like m0nty's that are willing to divulge their blueprint?

You can make a blue print and then DT throws a spanner into the works and it fails.

The only thing I have mapped out is where my byes currently sit and that will help rule out certain premiums because I don't want say 4 premiums from the one line and round missing.

Fyfe and Ablett being out changed my plans.

McEvoy out changes my plans again, so I am attempting to jungle, value, injuries and byes at the same time.

Concepts I have floating around at the moment are these.

Magner/C Smith -> Horesley
Hall/Kennedy -> Adams

McEvoy -> Rookie (O?)
Kennedy/Hall -> Premium

Shiel/Conglio -> Rookie
Shiel/Conglio -> Premium

Devon Smith -> Premium

Those are my rough concepts at the moment.

Question for the famous coaches, since some of you are also think outside the square type coaches. Would it be worthwhile hanging on to Goodes on your mid bench if you already had 5 premo mids + Horsely & Greene waxing at M6 & 6 genuine premo forwards + Devon & Treloar waxing @ F7?

My point is, if he misses 6 weeks exactly, he will be back after the Swans bye and could easily slot him back to F7 thus saving a trade in the process without losing any (too many) points. Your collective thoughts would be greatly appreciated?
If you were willing to do that, you'd be even more anti bye round trading then I will be!

6 weeks is far too long to hold out on a premium in my books (he could also come back slowly having missed 6 weeks as he'll be a bit behind on conditioning I'd say). Lets say you do have those mids/fwds lined up, then downgrading him to focus on another position such as the backline would be the way to go where you could move a rookie averaging 60-70 to a premium averaging 90-100 (20-40 point gain) and probably still have plenty of cash in the bank. This would make you more points then trading for 1 weekly zero you'd get in the bye rounds.

If you were willing to do that, you'd be even more anti bye round trading then I will be!

6 weeks is far too long to hold out on a premium in my books (he could also come back slowly having missed 6 weeks as he'll be a bit behind on conditioning I'd say). Lets say you do have those mids/fwds lined up, then downgrading him to focus on another position such as the backline would be the way to go where you could move a rookie averaging 60-70 to a premium averaging 90-100 (20-40 point gain) and probably still have plenty of cash in the bank. This would make you more points then trading for 1 weekly zero you'd get in the bye rounds.

Thanks for the sound advice Dylan. That is the other (more sensible) option which makes much more sense. Could downgrade Goodes to Horsely and upgrade Magner to beams (switch to forwards) and have 350k in the bank (enough cash to go Shiel>Ablett next week) instead of 30k bank and Goodes on my mid bench. Much appreciated you just solved some of my bye rd problems!

Repped ++++ :thumbsu:

No, because he's going to miss during at least one bye week, so that's extra donuts.

Why would you trade Pav in after the bye. I realise he has gone down heaps in price and will probably stay around that mark but his deep role in the forward line has impacted his dt scoring significantly.

Although I guess it is only a plan

Yeah, that could be any 11/12 forward premium. Same with Boyd.

Good one Dylan, always nice when a VC does their job (Stanton was mine this week, but my captain didn't pull out, bugger it).

I have Goodes, and of course he goes down the minute I am happy with my forward line! I will definitely be trading him, losing premiums early in the year hurts a lot more; you can afford to carry premiums on the bench at the end of the year (quite often you have no choice), but now you should have points or cash generation wherever possible.

Franklin, Zaharakis, Robinson, Chapman, Sidebottom, Martin, Goodes (Kennedy, Smith) after trading Hall and Porplyzia to Chappy and Zaka.

I now have to decide whether to trade Goodes to another gun or downgrade. Might lose my DPP depending on which way I go.

That said it is not the worst thing to lose the rd 12 bye, I have too many as it is.

I am concerned with how many trades I have burned, and have only really increased my team by 2 premiums I guess. Have used 6 before Goodes.

Any of the FC want to share their biggest regret thus far. Player traded in, traded out, one you started with and still have, structure?

If it's structural are you grinning and bearing it or have you made the changes?
At this stage it would be ignoring the 3RR. Jacobs was always going to be my premium ruck going into the season so I know had I have gone the 3RR it would have been Jacobs, Giles, Redden and Stephenson. If any of you guys are on FFC you can probably tell by my enjoyment when Giles is having a quiet one (I do have him sitting on my bench making cash but when it's up against the majority that have him starting, him playing poorly is a big win for me) and my encouragement in Brogan being named and hoping for a speedy recovery! :p

That said, it's a bit like the butterfly affect in that had I have started with Redden over Mumford (Giles starting, Redden the ruck I don't have) I would have had a lot more cash and I would have potentally moved one of the midpriced guys I was very keen on to a premium. So far I haven't traded out any of my midpriced picks (Waters, Malceski, Hargrave, Dangerfield (along with many of my undervalued premiums such as Watson)) and have actually brought two more in, in Lake and McIntosh! So had I have moved one of them up, I'd probably then be regretting not picking them (at this early stage at least).

Any of the FC want to share their biggest regret thus far. Player traded in, traded out, one you started with and still have, structure?

If it's structural are you grinning and bearing it or have you made the changes?

For me its guys I had in my team most of the preseason and then got cold feet on. Lenny Hayes is the most obvious one. Had him all the preseason and then when he got injured in the opening minutes of the last NBA game, even though it was concussion, chickened out and went for Mitchell. Second guy is not trusting Hargrave and Clarke in the backline. I got Clarke back for Shaw when he was injured and I was staring down a donut. Could get him (or Enright) in this week (or maybe with Goodes now, the week after) for Golby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can make a blue print and then DT throws a spanner into the works and it fails.

Compounded with this, it seems a lot of people are being a tad ambitious with these plans they have in place. A lot of people seem to be counting on rookies (Zorko etc) to be on the bubble conveniently during rounds 12-13, which whilst would be extremely convenient, if it doesn't happen it may result in extreme chaos where folks will be forced to either trade in shaky rookies or cop a donut.

A safer philosophy may be to upgrade extremely aggressively, to the point where your team is comprised of a nearly all-premium lineup (bar bench) heading into round 11 so that you have far less limitations on who you can trade in over the MRBs. ie it will be much easier to sideways trade say Dustin Martin to Ryan O'Keefe after round 12 than it would be to go Milera/Pfeiffer/Hall to a FWD rookie from the R12 Bye.

The upside to trading so aggressively early on is that you obviously maximise your scoring potential ASAP, you gain the security of having rookies that are debuting over the past few/coming rounds who seemingly have better JS and scoring potential, and if the rookie options during the MBR are scarce than you can simply sideways trade your premiums to avoid donuts rather than being forced to trade in shaky rookies or bottom-tier premiums.

Obviously the downside is you run the risk of running out of trades, especially with the carnage that is likely to come later in the year.

Another thing to keep in mind that is if there are limited rookies from the R11 bye that are on the bubble post round 11, then there seem to be very few options (premiums) across DEF, MID and FWD that we can trade in heading into R12. Waters from DEF, Boyd/Rockliff/S.Selwood from MID and perhaps Dangerfield from FWD look the only elite options.

Just some food for thought.

Compounded with this, it seems a lot of people are being a tad ambitious with these plans they have in place. A lot of people seem to be counting on rookies (Zorko etc) to be on the bubble conveniently during rounds 12-13, which whilst would be extremely convenient, if it doesn't happen it may result in extreme chaos where folks will be forced to either trade in shaky rookies or cop a donut.

A safer philosophy may be to upgrade extremely aggressively, to the point where your team is comprised of a nearly all-premium lineup (bar bench) heading into round 11 so that you have far less limitations on who you can trade in over the MRBs. ie it will be much easier to sideways trade say Dustin Martin to Ryan O'Keefe after round 12 than it would be to go Milera/Pfeiffer/Hall to a FWD rookie from the R12 Bye.

The upside to trading so aggressively early on is that you obviously maximise your scoring potential ASAP, you gain the security of having rookies that are debuting over the past few/coming rounds who seemingly have better JS and scoring potential, and if the rookie options during the MBR are scarce than you can simply sideways trade your premiums to avoid donuts rather than being forced to trade in shaky rookies or bottom-tier premiums.

Obviously the downside is you run the risk of running out of trades, especially with the carnage that is likely to come later in the year.

Yes, we're seeing the downside in this thread with footylover18's trades. He kicked out Magner and Devon Smith last week, and missed out on price rises and at least one very startable score. He has already traded Broughton out and back in, plus Geary in and looks like trading him out again this week. He had a sensational starting side which is why he's in the top 50, but he's throwing away trades and cash.

I think missing out on the likes of Adams and maybe Sumner in the next few rounds would be damaging. Unfortunately the GWS kids are all coming online now, so now is the time to snap them up. Hopefully they hold Haynes back a bit longer.

I'd much rather delay one or two upgrades until the byes instead of burning a trade upgrading early and then sideways trading. That trade is worth more than the 100-150 points you might gain (best case) by using it now. With the way Greene, McDonald and Horsley are scoring right now, what's the rush?

What you're describing sounds great in theory, but is pretty much impossible as you have to wait for cash cows to rise in price enough to afford decent upgrades (plus you only have two trades per round). If you go hell for leather and upgrade willy-nilly to whoever you can afford, you will actually do far more damage to your long term score than if you ignore the byes completely.

Question -

Wouldnt it be more worthwhile trading in premiums early on when possible (say rd 5- 9) and take the advantage of their scores early rather than using trades through bye rounds to sideways trade for say 100 points??

Thats what im thinking without putting to much time in..and just roughly trying to leave some (maybe3) upgrades to rd 12/13 where i can avoid donuts. Doing this and with early premos i can expect maybe 5 donuts across the three bye rounds.

Question -

Wouldnt it be more worthwhile trading in premiums early on when possible (say rd 5- 9) and take the advantage of their scores early rather than using trades through bye rounds to sideways trade for say 100 points??

Thats what im thinking without putting to much time in..and just roughly trying to leave some (maybe3) upgrades to rd 12/13 where i can avoid donuts. Doing this and with early premos i can expect maybe 5 donuts across the three bye rounds.

Excellent question.

Basically you have the choice of getting premiums in early, and gaining say 30-50 points per round for 10 rounds per premium, or saving trades and crabbing sideways through the byes.

There are so many factors it is not funny - say Toby Greene is averaging only 40 and all of a sudden your trade plans need to be completely different.

I have focussed this year on getting a solid team on the park, generating cash and points equally, with a spread of players for the byes. I don't think it's perfect, I wish I had a few more round 13 mid-pricers who I could trade up over the bye period. For example I really did think I would be able to hold McCarthy and then upgrade him to Boyd or Pendlebury over the bye period, but that plan changed quickly. I saw McCarthy as solid but not spectacular, and was not outscoring the rookies by enough to warrant keeping him. But when I put my team together it seemed like a great plan.

Likewise having Pattison in the rucks in case I wanted Hale/Roughead to fill in …I now realise there is little point covering for a ruck during the byes if you just get a zero in the forwards anyway. I am happy with that safety mechanism though in case one of my rucks gets a 3 week injury.

Anyway I doubt I will sideways trade at all over the bye period, certainly not premiums...it is just doesn't sit well with me. Swan to Boyd is just is not right.

I think the bye period will probably be a good chance to use three trades if needed to get things sorted out in your team. Scores of 15-1600 are going to be the order of the day. I am looking at 5 round 11 donuts, but I might just eat them - probably a good time to go on holiday for a while…

So to answer your question, in my view ideally you want to get the points in, but it is very much a matter of luck and performance as to whether that will hold you through the bye period, assuming you are aiming for minimum trade usage.

There is no way we know the right call yet.

Excellent question.

Basically you have the choice of getting premiums in early, and gaining say 30-50 points per round for 10 rounds per premium, or saving trades and crabbing sideways through the byes.

There are so many factors it is not funny - say Toby Greene is averaging only 40 and all of a sudden your trade plans need to be completely different.

I have focussed this year on getting a solid team on the park, generating cash and points equally, with a spread of players for the byes. I don't think it's perfect, I wish I had a few more round 13 mid-pricers who I could trade up over the bye period. For example I really did think I would be able to hold McCarthy and then upgrade him to Boyd or Pendlebury over the bye period, but that plan changed quickly. I saw McCarthy as solid but not spectacular, and was not outscoring the rookies by enough to warrant keeping him. But when I put my team together it seemed like a great plan.

Likewise having Pattison in the rucks in case I wanted Hale/Roughead to fill in …I now realise there is little point covering for a ruck during the byes if you just get a zero in the forwards anyway. I am happy with that safety mechanism though in case one of my rucks gets a 3 week injury.

Anyway I doubt I will sideways trade at all over the bye period, certainly not premiums...it is just doesn't sit well with me. Swan to Boyd is just is not right.

I think the bye period will probably be a good chance to use three trades if needed to get things sorted out in your team. Scores of 15-1600 are going to be the order of the day. I am looking at 5 round 11 donuts, but I might just eat them - probably a good time to go on holiday for a while…

So to answer your question, in my view ideally you want to get the points in, but it is very much a matter of luck and performance as to whether that will hold you through the bye period, assuming you are aiming for minimum trade usage.

There is no way we know the right call yet.

Agree mate..without planning too much im just look at possible trades now and seeing how that works in the bye rounds..but not much more i can do. my team is 2 or 3 premos from being stocked so i wont have the luxury of making 3 trades week or anything stupid..:thumbsu:

FAMOUS DT COACHES - Round 6 Report

R62012.png

TRADES:

FanFooty EDT (17)
John McCarthy
Kyal Horsley

Nathan Fyfe
Dayne Beams

Team Director (16)

Impromptu SCE (15)
Devon Smith
Kyal Horsley

Dylan’s FFC (17)
Steven Morris
Darren Pfeiffer

Devon Smith
Kyal Horsley

VinegarStrokes EDT (21)
Gary Ablett
Scott Pendlebury

Nathan Fyfe
Steve Johnson

AFLSpace.com Hacks (19)
Gary Ablett
Dane Swan

Nathan Fyfe
Lance Franklin

Chook Raffle (18)
Jason Porplyzia
Paul Chapman

Aaron Hall
David Zaharakis

vamsee (17)
Gary Ablett
Greg Broughton

Toby Greene
David Zaharakis

The Baxters (20)

Warne Dawgs (18)
Nathan Fyfe
Paul Chapman

Devon Smith
Allen Christensen

Coaches
dylan123 - Dylan's FFC
LemmingMaster - VinegarStrokes EDT
m0nty - FanFooty EDT
mollyfud - AFLSpace.com Hacks
Director - Team Director
Impromptu - Impromptu SCE
SkankDanker - Chook Raffle
footylover18 - vamsee
thebaxters - The Baxters
Warnie - Warne Dawgs

Seem to be some big scores this week. Any of the famous coaches scoring big so far this round?

Don't know that its big hearing other scores around the place but Im on 2180 with Goddard to go. I think this might be slightly better then par! Then again after scoring 1801 2 rounds ago, its arguable that its huge! ;-)

On my moves of this week:
Out: McCarthy
In: Horsley

Out: Goodes
In: Dayne Beams

So, I was bound to get a case of trading out a guy and him hitting one out of the park. McCarthy was the guy. I have somewhat successful rode out rocky performances from Mr.B, Lake and Coniglio. Goodes injury hurt me as I would have turned Golby into Shaw instead of a side ways trade. Another guy I'm happy I held onto and have to say in someways a bit luckily, has been Hale in the rucks. He has had some rocky games but now that he is pretty much the number 1 ruckman I hope he keeps scoring. He looks more confident and if he can avoid the terrible weather (which I don't think he handles well), maybe able to ride him out! That and the trouble with the rucks (Mummy (who I started with), Sandi (who I was close to bringing in) and HMac (again, close to bringing in).

At present I have 400k in the bank and will fix up Golby this week for a Rd12 bye Back. Most likely between Shaw, Heppel and maybe Duffield (might be a bit of a risk although could avg alright with Mr B). I think most of my guys in other places are doing okay that I don't have to move them. Maybe Porpz getting close to the bye but with only 17 trades left, have to be careful!

Remove this Banner Ad

Famous DT Coaches Thread 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back