Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

Only time I felt miserable as a North supporter was a few years in the Scott era where it felt we were losing huge leads at the last minute every other week. A few times the reaction from the capitulation crashed BigFooty, I'm pretty sure.

That was torture, but it's not as bad now even though we're placing lower on the ladder.
How are you going now?

You could score AFL misery any number of ways like:

Lose a grand final: 100 points

Lose a preliminary final: 80 points

Miss finals 5 years in a row: 80 points

Win a wooden spoon: 80 points

10 years without a flag: 100 points every 10th anniversary

Best 22 player leaves: 10 points

Major club scandal or AFL sanctions imposed: 100 points

Win a premiership: minus 200 points

Club yet to win a premiership: 300 points, wiped when 1st flag is won

Because misery is felt by living people, I think any misery index should only account for the last 80 years, roughly the average life span.

One might say that the absolute numbers don't matter as long as you could draw up a misery ladder that looks about right. Freo and St Kilda would be at the top of that and Hawthorn would surely be bottom. Sydney are frequent flyers in the eight and in grand finals, but they've now lost four grand finals in the last 17 years, including their last three.

you haven't felt true misery until you've seen your team lose a GF to a ballerina toe poke or a demented football bounce in the dying seconds. also doesn't help the diabolical trade period during those losing GF period, after losing in 09 trading our top pick to Essendon for the alleged rapist Lovett, then losing Ball to Collingwood for nothing only to lose to them 9 months later. also we are are a foundation club and from what i can tell we've had like 4 father sons 2 of which didnt get a game

Because misery is felt by living people, I think any misery index should only account for the last 80 years, roughly the average life span.
I agree its tricky. Whatever methodology you use, the Sainters are probably going to be on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm miserable because the index says my misery doesn't count.
Yep, you have to be added to the index. You've never made finals, that hurts more than losing finals.

I think the same thing with losing a GF. Losing in a close match is still better than getting flogged or not making it.

Last 20 years premiers:

03: Bris
04: Port
05: Syd
06: WCE
07: Geel
08: Haw
09: Geel
10: Coll
11: Geel
12: Syd
13: Haw
14: Haw
15: Haw
16: Bull
17: Rich
18: WCE
19: Rich
20: Rich
21: Melb
22: Geel

Geel: 4
Haw: 4
Rich: 3
Syd: 2
WCE: 2
Melb: 1
Bris: 1
Coll: 1
Bull: 1
Port: 1

6 teams have had 20 years of misery basically and GC and GWS history of misery if no flags = misery

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now bump it

Iconic same sex carnal knowledge of minor offender leading your cheer squad for years has to be worth a few points surely?

So for the dockers....

Lost the 2013 grand final... 100 points.

Lost a prelim final... 80 points. so 2006 prelim and 2015 prelim is 2 times 80 equals 160 points.

10 years without a flag. 100 points every 10 seasons. So from 1995-2004, no flag. 2005-14 no flag again. Might as well add 2015-24. So 3 decades times 100 points... 300 points.

Best 22 player leaves. That would be numerous. Not even the blokes that left since after the 2022 finals series. Lachie Weller, Lachie Neale, Harely Bennell, Adam Cerra, Jesse Hogan, Ed Langdon, Brad Hill. 7 players so thats 70 points

Then comes the players left after the 2022 finals. Rory Lobb, Griffin Logue, Blake Acres, Darcy Tucker and Lloyd Meek. 5 players so thats 50 points.

Liam Henry and Lachie Schulz was in freos best 23 in 2023 and left. 2 players so another 20 points.

Also Freo has yet to win a flag... another 300 points here.

So Add it all up.... 100 + 160 + 300 +70 + 50+ 20 + 300 = 1000 points.

I would love to see the saints fan misery index since 1967. That would be more than 1000 dockers misery points.

I agree its tricky. Whatever methodology you use, the Sainters are probably going to be on top.
I just did the Freo one. I did it to know they won win the flag in 2024.

So Saints fan misery index from 1967 onwards will be interesting.

South Melboure/Sydney from 1934-2004 would be interesting too.

Same with the tigers from 1981-2016 and Cats from 1964-2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

Back