Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

This!
I got spoilt so good in first decade of following Carlton even the darkest period in our history for 20 years I still know how brilliant it was, I know no other supporters would have experienced such a brilliant show of football I got to see so often.

I feel so sorry for what the good Demons fans have experienced for so long. Misery has been their norm. I reckon their 1987 finals runs was one of the best experiences ever but even that finished in absolute horror in their prelim final disaster which sadly was also the end of Robert Flower's career.

St.Kilda have easily the most miserable history but none of their fans are old enough to have experienced all that misery in their own life. The Demons fans living have gone to hell and back and back to hell so often in all the time I been following that I hope they get to experience some good before most of them are six feet under. I lost any sympathy for St.Kilda long ago after the series of good coaches like Ken Sheldon, Stan Alves and Blight tried to help them out but they just return to sh*t ways and nearly always self-inflicted.

So you lost sympathy right when the Saints went on to make 3 Prelims, 2 Grand Finals a couple of other finals ?.

You sure you just don’t like seeing them successful ?.

Pies 2010 GF victory plus plenty of joy in winning a prelim.
Fans have had good times.

:confusedv1: Having a good time are we? Joy of winning a prelim? Like that's the end game?

10 Years is a long time. Not to mention the very long rap sheet of gf losses.................. 27 of em, 27 GF losses.

Yeah good times indeed! NOT!

:confusedv1: Having a good time are we? Joy of winning a prelim? Like that's the end game?

10 Years is a long time. Not to mention the very long rap sheet of gf losses.................. 27 of em, 27 GF losses.

Going to get worse before it gets better you'd think....

Its a hard one because despite Essendons recent problems I grew up with them being awesome and scary to play (plus they always seem to beat us or at worst play well v us)

But 15 years without a finals win plus the drug stuff pushes them down.

Saints for pure flag-less-ness puts them worst.

Freo? Been in for 26 years and done not much. Made a GF but other than a few sprinklings of finals have been meh.

Melbourne are top of the pops. Even their success has been sad.

Win a Brownlow medal --> It's Shane Woewodin.
Play in a GF --> Miss finals next season and go back to irrelevance.
Make a prelim with a young team --> get flogged, have two bad years, don't improve and Angus Brayshaw has footy amnesia.

Surely the Saints are #1.

27 spoons, 1 flag. Even their recent period where they made the GF two years in a row and were a bounce away from winning a flag is remembered for negative Ross Lyon footy and then him walking out on the club.

Melbourne fans who followed their club passionately in the late 2000s and 2010s are a bit miserable, but plenty of Melbourne fans still look back on the 1950s like it has relevance. They were good once. Same as Richmond who are good again but were garbage for 30 years. St Kilda have pretty much always been garbage.
The 1950s is 70 years ago.

Zero joy from that.

Melbourne fans most miserable by a country mile surely.

Melbourne are top of the pops. Even their success has been sad.

Win a Brownlow medal --> It's Shane Woewodin.
Play in a GF --> Miss finals next season and go back to irrelevance.
Make a prelim with a young team --> get flogged, have two bad years, don't improve and Angus Brayshaw has footy amnesia.
For most living supporters the Dees have definitely had a worse time of it than St Kilda. The only Melbourne supporters who would consider themselves lucky to support Melbourne over St Kilda would be at least 70 now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about which team's supporters suffered the most misery.

I came up with a simple fan misery index.

Obviously the higher the score the more that teams fans have suffered.

Poor buggers supporting Melbourne FC have had a wretched old time.

AFL team fan's misery index by team supported:

Melbourne 57
Saints 30
Blues 25
North 22
Freo 21
Bombers 21
Lions 18
Port 17
Swans 15
Crows 12
Pies 9
GWS 6
Hawks 6
Bulldogs 5
Eagles 3
Geelong 3
Richmond 1

[Gold Coast NA]

Melbourne AFL team might suffer the ignominy of their aflw team winning a flag and bettering their record for half a century

It’s purely a mindset.
Like a spoilt kid whinging about having nothing surrounded by new gear.
Whilst hand out a second hand toy in an orphanage, nothing but pure joy.
Being a freo supporter just making the last dance was pure joy.
I went to the 2015 gf and hawks supporters were bagging their own players and spewing vitriol at the umpires when they were 40 points up going for a 3peat.
A week after we lossed in 2013 and since I realise it’s just going to be all the sweeter when it does happen.
A coke addict chases the feeling of what a first timer feels their whole life.

Last edited:
Agreed.

1. Saints
> daylight
2. Essendon
> toss up between
3. North
4. Melbourne

Imagine supporting the Saints, winning 20 odd games a season with Riewoldt and co in their absolute prime, and losing those heartbreakers in both 09 and 10. Easy to see why they're so sensitive on BF :D
I laughed at your table. All 4 teams have won 1 flag since 1960.

Freo on the other ✋ hand. Politely ask how many premierships has Freo won?

Only time I felt miserable as a North supporter was a few years in the Scott era where it felt we were losing huge leads at the last minute every other week. A few times the reaction from the capitulation crashed BigFooty, I'm pretty sure.

That was torture, but it's not as bad now even though we're placing lower on the ladder.

your team has won 15 flags. Please remind yourself. How many flags has Freo won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

Back