FanFooty Fanplanner 2009 (v2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fletcher, Ryder, Hurley.

Myers isn't a KP player.

Yeah Myers definitely isn't a KPP.

I think that you have to be very wary when picking Hurley because if you look at it as purely the backs yes the Bombers can play all 3 of FLetcher,Ryder and Hurley but Gumbleton and Neagle are also fighting for KPP places in the team. If you look at their KPP stocks as a whole it is hard to see Hurley getting regularly selected IMO with Gumby,Hurley and Neagle fighting for (2) rotating KPP/3rd tall places in the team. Both Gumby and Neagle are probably capable of playing in the backline so IMO it is going to be very hard for Hurley to cement a place in the team in front of those 2.

I do think Knights will look to develop Hurley but like i said in my previous post - with the Bombers large KPP stocks - I can't see him getting too many games. Of course, if Gumby gets injured then i think Hurley will be in contention to get quite regular games but at this point very hard to tell with both Gumby and Neagle fit.

Yeah Myers definitely isn't a KPP.

I think that you have to be very wary when picking Hurley because if you look at it as purely the backs yes the Bombers can play all 3 of FLetcher,Ryder and Hurley but Gumbleton and Neagle are also fighting for KPP places in the team. If you look at their KPP stocks as a whole it is hard to see Hurley getting regularly selected IMO with Gumby,Hurley and Neagle fighting for (2) rotating KPP/3rd tall places in the team. Both Gumby and Neagle are probably capable of playing in the backline so IMO it is going to be very hard for Hurley to cement a place in the team in front of those 2.

I do think Knights will look to develop Hurley but like i said in my previous post - with the Bombers large KPP stocks - I can't see him getting too many games. Of course, if Gumby gets injured then i think Hurley will be in contention to get quite regular games but at this point very hard to tell with both Gumby and Neagle fit.

On team balance I doubt that both Neagle and Gumbleton would play at the same time, with Lloyd and Lucas fit.

I also don't think Knights would throw Gumbleton or Neagle down back to a totally unfamiliar position, when you have got a Top 5 draft pick waiting in the wings. If he did this wouldn't it be detremental to the Hurley and the team's future?

If all of these men were fit:

Fletcher, Ryder, Lucas, Lloyd, Neagle, Gumbleton, Hurley

...Hurley definetley would not be the last picked due to the lack of KP defenders.

See where I'm coming from? Sorry if it's confusing.

...Hurley definetley would not be the last picked due to the lack of KP defenders.

Darcy Daniher & Tayte Pears would be ahead of Hurley in the pecking order I would imagine, purely because both have had that extra season in the system, meaning in most cases more match ready.

In an expansion from Walesy's post in regards to picking 6/8, if all fit i think im safe to say that Lloyd, Fletcher, Ryder and Lucas will all be regulars unless something unforseen bad form, injuries occur. So that leaves two spots going to Neagle, Gumby, Pears and Hurley.

I find it very hard personally to leave out Neagle or Gumby if fully fit, which pretty much means there is very little chance Hurley being selected for his ability to play forward as if all fit, he will not be in front of Lloyd, Lucas, Gumby and Neagle.

In regards to Hurley getting a gig in our backs, I can see Hurley getting games ahead of Daniher due to the year in the system being a little less important as Hurley is fairly ready made for AFL. I personally see the pecking order for backs being Ryder, Fletcher, Pears, Hurley, Daniher. So on that it brings me back to what most people think, Hurley playing between 6 - 10 games if all players are fit, I can see him and Pears sharing roles.

Not sure if im anywhere near the money but we will know more when NAB cup begins!

One thing that has yet to be discussed in either of the threads IIRC is team balance. Is it risky to play 2-3 players from the same team in one position? Is that sort of 'putting all your eggs in one basket'? How many players from one team is too many for a starting DT? I think I could quite easily put together a team with 5-6 hawthorn players in it that i was very happy with. Im wondering whether it is ok to play lucas + davey, or thomas + cloke + Sidebottom, or fevola + yarren + Fisher, or Kornes + Boak or Fisher + Goddard + Gram all in the same team. Do you think you should have a player from nearly every team? (say 14+) Or doesnt it really matter - you just put the players you want in regardless of what team their in. I think the fear is, that having 3-4 players from a team puts you at risk of some collectively low scores if they have a bad week - but i spose this would cancel out if they all had a good week in a good win. Also, thoughts on playing people like hodge + mitchell in the same team - is it possible they could fight each other for the ball, thus meaning they score less combined than say hodge + boak? Should you try and get as many players from the top teams (HAW, GEE, WB) as possible?

My thoughts are a bit jumbled together but yeh, something to think about.

I don't think getting a few players from each team is a negative at all. If anything, could turn out to be a positive. One could fire one week and one the next.

Getting half a dozen players from the same time, disregarding say Hawthorn or Geelong, would be pretty risky I would imagine. I can't back that up with facts, like many other posts I do, but just a feeling.

Maybe someone from the NP Board might be able to give you a more in depth summary.

One thing that has yet to be discussed in either of the threads IIRC is team balance. Is it risky to play 2-3 players from the same team in one position? Is that sort of 'putting all your eggs in one basket'? How many players from one team is too many for a starting DT? I think I could quite easily put together a team with 5-6 hawthorn players in it that i was very happy with. Im wondering whether it is ok to play lucas + davey, or thomas + cloke + Sidebottom, or fevola + yarren + Fisher, or Kornes + Boak or Fisher + Goddard + Gram all in the same team. Do you think you should have a player from nearly every team? (say 14+) Or doesnt it really matter - you just put the players you want in regardless of what team their in. I think the fear is, that having 3-4 players from a team puts you at risk of some collectively low scores if they have a bad week - but i spose this would cancel out if they all had a good week in a good win. Also, thoughts on playing people like hodge + mitchell in the same team - is it possible they could fight each other for the ball, thus meaning they score less combined than say hodge + boak? Should you try and get as many players from the top teams (HAW, GEE, WB) as possible?

My thoughts are a bit jumbled together but yeh, something to think about.

Ok, I personally don’t think it’s a problem starting players from the same team in a position is a bad thing unless theses two players, play the same role and are fighting it out for the one place in the 22. I don't think you need a player from each team, chosse a team were you are happy with the players and were you se value, don't select a team based on what club they play for.

Its funy that you bought up this question as it wason i had been thnking and doing some research on so far I have a look into the St.Kilda trio, the Geelong trio and also the Thomas, Cloke double and also thought it would be interesting to throw in Lloyd and Lucas double in there as well along with Roughead and Buddy.

St.Kilda Trio
2zp1e2e.jpg

Thomas + Cloke
1ferts.jpg

Lloyd + Lucas
igi05y.jpg

Geelong Trio
2942cfo.jpg

Buddy + Roughead
jh7fb7.jpg

Read into thesse what you will.

These graphs dont totaly repesent what has happned throught the season as Goddard had little match fitness coming inot his first game so it took him a little time to tle back in. With the Loyd lucas double it probley doest reperesent anythin as Lucas struggled throughout the season.

Yeah there is no general rule i dont think. I have someone from every team that matters (everyone except north melbourne). You certainly take it into consideration what team player x is in in terms of are they in their teams 22 etc.

On team balance I doubt that both Neagle and Gumbleton would play at the same time, with Lloyd and Lucas fit.

I also don't think Knights would throw Gumbleton or Neagle down back to a totally unfamiliar position, when you have got a Top 5 draft pick waiting in the wings. If he did this wouldn't it be detremental to the Hurley and the team's future?

See where I'm coming from? Sorry if it's confusing.

Back six- Slattery Fletcher Dempsey/Nash/Hurley
Pears Ryder Mcphee

Fwd six- Riemers Lloyd Gummbleton
Davey Lucas Neagle/Monfries

Whoever misses that that sixth spot should still be on the bench??

What about having a forward structure with two groups of people from the same time? For example:

Coll - cloke
Coll - thomas
Ess - alwyn
Ess - lucas
Freo - Pav
Carl - yarren

I think this, as mentioned is ok - although somewhat risky - due to fact that cloke/thomas and lucas/alwyn have dissimilar roles.

stephen hill
Medium midfielder/defender with excellent pace and a raking left foot kick. Can play inside or outside, winning both contested and uncontested possessions, and his run-and-carry is a feature of his game. All-Australian U18 selection following NAB AFL U18 Championships. A standout at the 2009 NAB AFL Draft Camp, where he was ranked in the top five for the vertical jump, 20m sprint (2.83) and agility test, where he eclipsed Danyle Pearce's camp record set in 2004 with a 7.77sec for the agility run. From Quinns Districts JFC.
STATS
Kicks: 8, Handballs: 5, Disposals: 13, Marks: 3, Goals: 0 (Averages from U18 Championships)

any chance of him being a defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's the case Xavier Ellis is not a defender.

Probably not. But he was a defender in finals DT wasn't he? I think he'll remain a defender/midfielder purely because of that stat.

Stephen Hill, interesting to see his stats for the chamionships, are those really low for a player going number 3? Or are they low do to restricted timing of quarters?

Probably not. But he was a defender in finals DT wasn't he? I think he'll remain a defender/midfielder purely because of that stat.

All I'm saying is that positions aren't only decided on where you get most of your possesions - as in Xavier Ellis' case - so I wouldn't put it past Hill to be named as a back/mid.

What are people's thoughts on Barry Hall? I just feel another great year is not past him - only concern is suspension. He is the Swan's number one forward and could get a lot of supply.

Stephen Hill, interesting to see his stats for the chamionships, are those really low for a player going number 3? Or are they low do to restricted timing of quarters?

No, he played most matches to their completion but he was used as a HBF'er a lot, which made him mind his man a fair few times. He played well in the Champs, though he would've liked to play a lot more I would've thought alongside Rich, Lucas & DeBoer in the midfield. Plenty of upside, real gut runner, but don't think he'll have a big impact in his first season.

What he said.

I say "What he said" about the guy that said "What he said" to the guy that said what the guy before him said about the issue raise by by guy that I was just talking about. In the end must agree with the guy that agreed with the guy that had a opinion on the stuff the guy before him said.

:D:D Enjoy figuring that 1 out

(It does make sense if u read it right)

How long is ellis exactly out for? Any chance he could get 1-2 games under his belt in pre-season. Ellis was probably a lock in for most people, but yeh the injury has disappointed me. As m0nty pointed out in one of his posts on fanfooty, there isnt really a whole lot of other options around that price as a replacement, so yeh. Im not and will wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back