Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I'd like to pick up a Jack Billings and a Paddy McCartin in the draft, or an Angus Brayshaw, a Jesse Hogan and a Christian Petracca.

But we haven't been shit enough to do this. Makes it harder for us, but we have to keep trying within these constraints. It certainly doesn't validate your theory of the Saints doing it properly relative to what our club did today.

Bye now.
Don't know what St.Kilda or Melbourne have to do with the question of what do you think North should do to rebuild their list. "Become shit" isn't a great idea, because teams like Hawthorn and Geelong have been up there and rebuilt their list just as well as any other side. So what is it that North should be doing to rebuild the list?

Club is admitting we're done.
Now Adolf. I tried telling you and the multitude of Turkeys out there that Brad Scotts was a Turkey. That Cams Joyces was a Turkey. That Jame Brayshaws was a Turkey. But did any of your Turkeys want to listen? No. Well here ye yah go. Edward Scissorhands handles his knob better than these Turkeys have handled this situation. :stern look

Its logical thinking from JB as we are pretty much conceding that this will be our last tilt at it. I'm surprised that we go all out and admit it but it may be a smart move. Its likely that GWS will dominate for the next 5yrs or so and our rebuild will HOPEFULLY coincide with their decline. I'd rather do this than promise finals every year like the Tiggies. I want to be competing at the top not just 'making' the 8.

I'm being very optimistic here.

Well with his latest comments i think i hit the nail on the head....

I thought Boomer could go on and should go on, but the end had to happen at some point.

I don't see what the point is on protesting, supporters do not make decisions on list management.

There is no pleasing some people on this board.

I swear, certain posters here could wake up nude in the middle of a Jen Hawkins, Sofia Vergara sandwich and still complain about their bad breath.
Well I'm one of those Turkeys because if there isn't Chocolate Quik involved then it is a deal breaker. :stern look

I think it's the boomer one that has got a lot of us riled up. Treating a champ like boomer like this is disgusting, likewise drew and to a lesser extent spud. The shit that is now spewing forth from brayshaw and bs is just making it worse. At every corner we have handled this badly.

The message is first and foremost that players and specifically Boomer, who still has strong currency at senior AFL level, should not be sacked and especially in this manner. He is the games record holder, but more importantly he is still good enough and on balance of probability, will be better value to this club next year than 75% of those who line up next year. This year he is equal second for goals kicked with LT after Ben Brown, he is 6th in average disposals per game this year. His career has been a magnificent career and one that deserves far greater respect than to just be told don't come next year.

I have a view that champion players, of whom there are very few, are entitled to call time on their careers. Boomer is the only one in this category at North in my opinion.

The caveat I would have imposed on Boomer is that he be remunerated at a lower level than what he would have demanded in years gone by and that if his form falters, he will be dropped and expected to play for Werribee. If a club has the philosophy that each week it picks players on merit and form alone, then retaining a veteran for another year should never be an issue.

Let me say this also, I have a view; and I heard a former player recently state this also; there is no shame in playing Reserve grade football if your form drops off at the end of your career. That does not in any way diminish any players achievements from the past.

I think what any of us does in the future in respect of renewing or not renewing a membership, is an individual thing. You are entitled to view this in whatever way you like TFW, but equally I will make my decision in line with how I feel as things wash up in the future. Loyalty has to be a two way street. Blind loyalty to the club, something I've followed for a long long time, starts to wear thin when the club acts in the manner it has today.

The club needs to learn this lesson. The club needs to have a look at Hawthorn and how they act in these matters. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson. All 1 year extensions. At this stage it looks like each of these players will leave on their own terms.

I heard Dermott Brereton today on SEN say that he and a number of very good players were finished up when the club was broke some years ago. The players had no choice in the matter. When he returned to the club as a Director he made a statement that this should never happen again and it seems that the Hawks have heeded this message.

I don't disagree with the entirety of your message Horace and both you and I have been around long enough to know where the other stands I figure. We generally are one the same side.

I think a lot has been said, not aimed at you mind, without actually knowing what was said between club and player and what permissions or agreements were made by the outgoing players when the decisions were made. I do know the perceived method is completely crass (twitter ffs).

And my comment earlier about memberships not being renewed was intended to be a broad one aimed at the one post wonders who have forgotten that it wasn't that long ago finances and lack of membership is why we almost moved to the Gold Coast (and very well could have seen Hawthorn re-signing Boomer this week). All said with due respect for those old heads from back then who are obviously frustrated beyond belief.

The club has just issued the following Statement.

"Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble"

:stern look

The Cats won the 2011 flag, not because of Chris Scott but because they had a magnificent group pf players, who needed little coaching direction because they knew how to get the job done. I'm not sure that his record is all that good given the team he inherited.

Come off it Horace, they'd just come off a thumping at the hands of Collingwood and then lost the best player in the game to Gold Coast.

14054400_10154017203701843_8846809765949031899_o.jpg

Someone trying to be funny?

Hes had over 1100 Tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's the boomer one that has got a lot of us riled up. Treating a champ like boomer like this is disgusting, likewise drew and to a lesser extent spud. The shit that is now spewing forth from brayshaw and bs is just making it worse. At every corner we have handled this badly.
thats just typical

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I agree with JB about overachieving, but he shouldn't be saying it. I feel like the club is terribly disorganised and off message at the moment.

We have a deeply flawed list with severe gaps, and we have for a long time. I still maintain that if we kept our list healthy this year we were in with a shot for the big one, but shit happened, as it does. We've done pretty well the last couple of years considering our list. We suffered from never bottoming out and getting higher picks, and then the compromised expansion drafts diluting the draft pool even further. We recruited smartly to prolong our stay in the 8 and in contention, without sacrificing too much in regards to draft picks and the long term. It hasn't worked though, for various reasons that don't just include the cattle we have (or don't have) on the field.

As for the decision, unsure as to the call on Boomer and to a lesser degree Dal, and it could have been handled much better in terms of PR. Assuming the players are ultimately at peace with the decision, we'll forget about how it was announced pretty quickly and begin to move on.

If the players demanded they wanted to know what their futures entailed then the clubs hands were tied. Upfront and honest are not bad qualities for a club imo.

and from what I gathered from Brad's media conference the players were asked if they wanted to attend but it was still a bit raw. I don't get all the crap about how it was handled, they knew it was coming and it came. All four players have lived the dream of playing for North at some stage that dream ends for all players.

The clubs media effort today has been an absolute disgrace.
Yep, have to agree with you on that one. To announce the news the way they did, even with the risk of it being leaked by the media, was pretty poor. Now they're posting photos and stats of the 4 players on social media while everyone is still either incredibly upset or angry. It's just making it worse guys!

I heard Brad Scott's presser today and he was going on about how these four are keeping young players out of the side - so it got me wondering. Why? If it's anything keeping others out of the side it's simply that these four are in good form, or better form than the players that Brad is trying to give games to.

So then it begs the question of why they let them all walk...I mean, Boomer isn't slowing down, he's been one of your best this year. This decision, to me, seems not to be based off of form...which is odd. I hope that Brad isn't going to be gifting games to players that don't deserve it. I don't see a reason to not re-contract players that are playing well regardless of their age.

if it worries you that much, we can send them all over for Billings and you can show all the respect you want. :)

Come off it Horace, they'd just come off a thumping at the hands of Collingwood and then lost the best player in the game to Gold Coast.

I think you will find that Chris Scott himself made the statement that in 2011 the players could have coached themselves.

Adelaide apparently lost the best player in the game last year, but they seem to have gone okay this year..

Anyway, that's my view and I'm sticking with it. I'm not "coming off it".

By the way there are quite a few people I know at Geelong who hold very similar views about Chris Scott.

Yep, have to agree with you on that one. To announce the news the way they did, even with the risk of it being leaked by the media, was pretty poor. Now they're posting photos and stats of the 4 players on social media while everyone is still either incredibly upset or angry. It's just making it worse guys!
thats because those running the club arent qualified to run a Brownies club in a treehouse, let alone a football club. Big fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back