Fast Food

Remove this Banner Ad

The Simpsons showed this with that Ribwich episode. Exact replica.

Just you wait until 'lab grown meat' becomes widespread.

Gear-up-for-worlds-first-lab-grown-chicken-meat.jpg

Just you wait until 'lab grown meat' becomes widespread.

Gear-up-for-worlds-first-lab-grown-chicken-meat.jpg
That will freak the English out. Mad cow disease gave them this weird obsession with GM or Frankenfoods as the red tops called it, to the point that any place that served food had to have a sign saying none of it contains GM ingredients.

That will freak the English out. Mad cow disease gave them this weird obsession with GM or Frankenfoods as the red tops called it, to the point that any place that served food had to have a sign saying none of it contains GM ingredients.
Yeah, it's going to have to overcome a LOT of public trepidation in order to convince all the potential eaters out there. Would I eat it? I'd like to see all available information about it first. I'm not opposed to the idea though. I'll never say 'never' about eating lab grown meat.

Yeah, it's going to have to overcome a LOT of public trepidation in order to convince all the potential eaters out there. Would I eat it? I'd like to see all available information about it first. I'm not opposed to the idea though. I'll never say 'never' about eating lab grown meat.
I've never like the concept of trans national companies owning patents on seeds.

I've never like the concept of trans national companies owning patents on seeds.
Yeah, me neither. Check this out;

Published in 2005

...Monsanto’s position as a leader in the field of agricultural biotechnology and its success in contractually binding farmers to its genetically engineered seeds result from its concerted effort to control patents on genetic engineering technology, seed germplasm, and a farmer’s use of its engineered seed.

Monsanto begins the process of seizing control of farmers’ practices by getting them to sign the company’s technology agreement upon purchasing patented seeds. This agreement allows Monsanto to conduct property investigations, exposes the farmer to huge financial liability, binds the farmer to Monsanto’s oversight for multiple years, and includes a variety of other conditions that have effectively defined what rights a farmer does and does not have in planting, harvesting, and selling genetically engineered seed.

In general, Monsanto’s efforts to prosecute farmers can be divided into three stages: investigations of farmers, out-of-court settlements, and litigation against farmers Monsanto believes are in breach of contract or engaged in patent infringement. Monsanto itself admits to aggressively investigating farmers it suspects of transgressions, and evidence suggests the numbers reach into the thousands.

According to farmers interviewed by CFS (US-based watchdog group the Centre for Food Safety), these thousands of investigations frequently lead to the second stage: Monsanto pressuring the farmer to settle out of court for an undisclosed sum and other terms agreed to in confidential settlements. For some farmers, Monsanto’s investigation of them will lead to the court room. To date, Monsanto has filed 90 lawsuits against American farmers. The lawsuits involve 147 farmers and 39 small businesses or farm companies, and have been directed at farmers residing in half of the states in the U.S. The odds are clearly stacked against the farmer: Monsanto has an annual budget of $10 million dollars and a staff of 75 devoted solely to investigating and prosecuting farmers.

The largest recorded judgment made thus far in favor of Monsanto as a result of a farmer lawsuit is $3,052,800.00. Total recorded judgments granted to Monsanto for lawsuits amount to $15,253,602.82. Farmers have paid a mean of $412,259.54 for cases with recorded judgments. Startling though these numbers are, they do not begin to tell the whole story.
Many farmers have to pay additional court and attorney fees and are sometimes even forced to pay the costs Monsanto incurs while investigating them. Final monetary awards are not available for a majority of the 90 lawsuits CFS researched due to the confidential nature of many of the settlements.

No farmer is safe from the long reach of Monsanto. Farmers have been sued after their field was contaminated by pollen or seed from someone else’s genetically engineered crop; when genetically engineered seed from a previous year’s crop has sprouted, or “volunteered,” in fields planted with non-genetically engineered varieties the following year; and when they never signed Monsanto’s technology agreement but still planted the patented crop seed.

In all of these cases, because of the way patent law has been applied, farmers are technically liable. It does not appear to matter if the use was unwitting or a contract was never signed...

Those were the f***ers I was thinking of.

Those f*ckers indeed. And of course Monsanto were bought by Big Pharma giant Bayer back in 2018

Leverkusen, June 7, 2018 - Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto on Thursday. Shares in the U.S. company will no longer be traded on the New York Stock Exchange, with Bayer now the sole owner of Monsanto Company. Monsanto shareholders are being paid 128 U.S. dollars per share. J.P. Morgan assisted Bayer with processing the purchase price payment for the largest acquisition in the company’s history.

Not that it was a good buy...

Years After Monsanto Deal, Bayer’s Roundup Bills Keep Piling Up
Dec. 6, 2023

Three years after Bayer agreed to pay $10 billion to settle claims that its weedkiller, Roundup, caused cancer, juries continue to award plaintiffs in additional cases billions of dollars in damages, even as the German drug and chemicals giant insists it will continue its fight in court.

In the past two months, in four separate cases, juries have awarded more than $2 billion in damages to a handful of roughly 50,000 claims that weren’t covered by the 2020 settlement. The $10 billion agreement is one of the largest in history.

Bayer has set aside an additional $6 billion, which the company has said is enough to cover pending lawsuits as well as potential future ones. But analysts and investors worry Bayer could be on the hook for billions more, threatening the 160-year-old company’s future...

...Bayer’s woes stem from its 2018 purchase of Monsanto, the maker of Roundup, for $63 billion in cash. Since the deal was announced in 2016, Bayer’s shares have plunged more than 60 percent. It is widely considered one of the worst mergers in history.

After the most recent verdict in mid-November, in which a Missouri jury awarded three plaintiffs $1.5 billion in damages, Bayer shares slid even more, pushing its market capitalization down to roughly $33 billion, or less than half of what it paid for Monsanto.

Shareholders have pushed Bayer to undo the merger almost since it closed, mainly because of its exposure to Roundup litigation...

Went to an American BBQ place last night with a mate and went the biggest order and shared it. 1KG or Wings, Rack of Pork Ribs, 800G of Beef Ribs 2 large chips and dipping sauces. I feel so disgusting lol. My piss smells of beef rib.
Ooooh where?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to an American BBQ place last night with a mate and went the biggest order and shared it. 1KG or Wings, Rack of Pork Ribs, 800G of Beef Ribs 2 large chips and dipping sauces. I feel so disgusting lol. My piss smells of beef rib.
The double large chips is where you went wrong. Deep-fried starchy potato slices, f*cking nice as they are, just sit in your stomach and make you feel far more bloated than you would have normally. Next time you set yourself a task like that avoid the chippies!

The double large chips is where you went wrong. Deep-fried starchy potato slices, f*cking nice as they are, just sit in your stomach and make you feel far more bloated than you would have normally. Next time you set yourself a task like that avoid the chippies!

Come with the meal. Had to conquer it. Was fries as well. Not Chips. May have helped a bit

I've said prior i hardly buy fast food like KFC, Macca's or HJ. I like going to the local charcoal chicken shop and guts myself a half cook, chips and gravy. Unfortunately the price went up from $14.5 to now $18. Now I throw a chook in the airfryer rotisserie, then keep warm in the oven, airfry some chips and make some maggie gravy on the stove.
Tastes delicious and less than 1/3 the price

The one thing I don't get is people eating fast food for taste and not convenience. The one drawcard the golden arches has is that I can add a lazy 4000kJs to my daily intake without adding more than 5 minutes to my drive and I can do it at all times of the day or night, might only do it a couple of times a month but when time is of the essence that shit is unbeatable. If I had 30 minutes to go and get a better burger I probably wouldn't be getting burgers at all lol

I know it gross how it's all made but who cares really.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree. As long as it tastes good and doesnt give you food poisoning who cares.

Supersize Me didnt change a thing, those gifs wont change a thing.

*having said all that I dont go to Maccas all that often, maybe a half a dozen times a year.

The cost of fast food like everything has gotten ridiculous. I find myself not getting it as often just because I can't fathom spending that much for a BS meal like maccas. I'll get a average pizza every now and again or I'll go through KFC and get 2 pieces of chicken (breast and drumstick)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fast Food

Remove this Banner Ad

Back