Fastest Player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on what you mean, Judd would have to be the fastest over a period of a match, amazing how he can maintain his pace.

Blokes like Davey and Lovett are quick over short distances but one of the fastests plays off the mark I've ever seen is Damien Cupido.

Rhan Hooper is a new contender for the Lions, but it is very difficult to compare.

Shannon Byrnes from Geelong was amazingingly quick when we played them in Round 1.

Sean Rusling is 6 foot 3 in the old measurements, but he runs 400 metres in 50.1 seconds and 100 metres in 10.8 seconds. (Geelong's Kane Tenace, touted as the fastest player in the AFL, manages 10.7 seconds for 100 metres.)

Some actual times to feed into debate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

woosh_era said:
James Walker from the purps.

Which is ironic really.

I worked with his brother Joe, Has won the sprint at the G twice.

Davey is the quickest over 25.

Lance Whitnall?

for all those people saying davey is the fastest, you are wrong - matthew robbins chased down davey from behind atleast 3 times on saturday. im not sure if its because melbourne gave up after half time (like our opponents in round 1 did), but robbo was a lot faster than davey.

Dale Morris from the Dogs is also pretty quick.

Davey's speed blinds people some people. He may motor in top gear, but he has nowhere near Chris Judd's anticipation or speed off the mark. If you factor in these (important) variables, then Judd leaves him for dead. I often see Davey standing flat-footed when he should be moving.

Anyway, there are many ways to look at this. Fastest player in a 50-60m dash is the most obvious. What about a 5m dash or 1500m ? Who is the fastest to get boot to ball ? Quickest hands ? Fastest to get to their feet after being tackled and get involved for a second effort ? Fastest brain (ability to instantly sum up the situation and make the right decision) ?

This last one is easily the most important, in my opinion. It's what makes "slow" players like Scotty West and Sammy Mitchell so valuable.

Chewy said:

Anyway, there are many ways to look at this. Fastest player in a 50-60m dash is the most obvious. What about a 5m dash or 1500m ? Who is the fastest to get boot to ball ? Quickest hands ? Fastest to get to their feet after being tackled and get involved for a second effort ? Fastest brain (ability to instantly sum up the situation and make the right decision) ?

Drew Petrie comes to mind

otis_david said:
Depends on what you mean, Judd would have to be the fastest over a period of a match, amazing how he can maintain his pace.

Blokes like Davey and Lovett are quick over short distances but one of the fastests plays off the mark I've ever seen is Damien Cupido.

everyone says cousins is the fastest over match...judd wuld definitely have the best acceleration and close to best top speed...cousins for maintaining speed coz he always manages to rack possesions at some time by running too far...davey for top speed...judd for 40m i think...walker over 100m

Remove this Banner Ad

Fastest Player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back