Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose it’s not very ‘fair’. But I think it’s a great tradition to have generations playing for the same team. Is it just the ‘fairness’ aspect you don’t like?

Nah I don't give a shit about the fairness of it. I just don't agree that it's a great tradition. Nothing about it tickles my pickle. If a player ended up playing for his Dad's club organically then that might be a bit more special. When it's effectively guaranteed by policy, and most kids end up playing for their Dad's club, it loses any romanticism in my opinion.

Nah I don't give a s**t about the fairness of it. I just don't agree that it's a great tradition. Nothing about it tickles my pickle. If a player ended up playing for his Dad's club organically then that might be a bit more special. When it's effectively guaranteed by policy, and most kids end up playing for their Dad's club, it loses any romanticism in my opinion.
Scrag, my dear, you wouldn’t know romance if it **** slapped you.

It can be fair. There needs to be a better system than points.
This, I’m happy for the Northern academies to ensure kids from those states tend to stay there - there’s enough players from VIC who want to come home and F/S will even themselves out for the most part but need to get rid of the 20% discount and work out a better points system.

I don’t really know the solution, maybe something like you need to use a pick in the same round as the nomination so if they go first round you need to use at least one first rounder and so on stopping teams from selling their whole draft hand and loading up with late picks

I think the loading of latter picks actually works quite well. In any normal circumstances you never trade a round 1 pick for a second/third round picks. But in this instance a first round pick goes to another club so they benefit and the f/S club gets a bargain. Easier when the last few season have seen top end talent in years when the talent is late first round or second there is more risk on the f/s club. The last 3 seasons have seen JUH go 1, Darcy at 2, Diacos should have gone 1 and we will like see another go 1-3. A quirk really and unlikely to see the like again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF these guys are any good. It’s going to be difficult only getting 1 player from the draft each year…. It will really test our depth. We will have to be targeting players from other clubs, just to keep filling out our list.

We will become draft tightwads like the Lions very soon.
I think our depth, particularly for runners, was tested this year because:
  • We traded out Lipinski
  • McLean basically missed the full year
  • Duryea injuries (12 vs 25 last year)
  • JJ injuries (8 vs 25 last year)
  • Garcia injuries so couldn’t step in
  • Scott injuries (14 games vs 21 last year)
  • Other injuries / players falling off a cliff: namely Hunter, Crozier, Wallis, VDM, Hannan
Not having quite the same quality of mid-late 2nd or 3rd rounders because of matching bids didn’t help on top of that but I think it was a minor factor.

In 3-5 years time there is no way we’re regretting missing out on those mid-range picks versus what JUH and Darcy will be delivery.

For the next batch of kids there’s also a huge difference matching in the first couple of picks versus mid-1st round and later.

Nah I don't give a s**t about the fairness of it. I just don't agree that it's a great tradition. Nothing about it tickles my pickle. If a player ended up playing for his Dad's club organically then that might be a bit more special. When it's effectively guaranteed by policy, and most kids end up playing for their Dad's club, it loses any romanticism in my opinion.
I don’t get this at all. The kids have a choice (if they are talented enough) to either choose to play for their dads club or forge their own destiny. It’s special because they have that choice, and if they choose to go with their dads club they are following a family tradition. The fact that three generations of Darcy have played for the dogs is fabulous in my opinion. The passion of Wallis, despite his injury ridden career, directly derived from his dads stories growing up and his pride in his dad captaining the club. Watching libba snr cheer on his son in the 2016 finals and even sitting behind us swearing mild but passionate abuse at umpires who pay a free kick against Jnr in 2022, was just awesome and really instills a sense of pride for me and my family who are just run of the mill supporters.

That’s the romance. It’s terrific.

I don’t get this at all. The kids have a choice (if they are talented enough) to either choose to play for their dads club or forge their own destiny. It’s special because they have that choice, and if they choose to go with their dads club they are following a family tradition. The fact that three generations of Darcy have played for the dogs is fabulous in my opinion. The passion of Wallis, despite his injury ridden career, directly derived from his dads stories growing up and his pride in his dad captaining the club. Watching libba snr cheer on his son in the 2016 finals and even sitting behind us swearing mild but passionate abuse at umpires who pay a free kick against Jnr in 2022, was just awesome and really instills a sense of pride for me and my family who are just run of the mill supporters.

That’s the romance. It’s terrific.
Hear, hear! Totally agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Fronk posting that his son played against Leon's in Syd a few years back. He reported nothing spectacular - btw, what's happened to Fronk? Loved his insights.
Yeah big loss to the board tbh, I think he was another one that constantly got shot down for posting stuff because it wasn’t necessarily what people wanted to hear

Remember Fronk posting that his son played against Leon's in Syd a few years back. He reported nothing spectacular - btw, what's happened to Fronk? Loved his insights.

Kids peak on the footy field at different ages, a kid who is a champion at 12 y/o may be average at 17 y/o and vice versa.

I’m still waiting for my peak…

Kids peak on the footy field at different ages, a kid who is a champion at 12 y/o may be average at 17 y/o and vice versa.

I’m still waiting for my peak…
I kicked 2 goals in my first game for Spotswood under 9s, sadly proved to be an extreme case of an early peak followed by a long steady decline.

Just get rid of the discount and keep the right to pick them ahead of other clubs. Pay market value but have first dibs. Nobody loses.
Plus, retool the points system so the drop-off of points is a lot sharper. If points are genuienly meant to represent how much picks are "worth" then there should be just as many two-for-one trades as we see one-for-two trades. In other words we should see some teams actually get an increase in points by packaging picks together, if the points given to picks are fair.

The fact that all - and I mean all, literally dozens of trades in the last few years - are teams "breaking up" an early pick for multiple late picks proves that too much points are given to late picks. It creates an economy run in two different currencies, where the two teams making a trade can do a win-win trade and 16 other clubs all share the "loss" in the win-win trade.

If for example the points system worked properly there would have been no benefit for Brisbane "breaking up" pick 15 because picks in the 20's and 30's simply wouldn't have given them any meaningful increase in points.

This, I’m happy for the Northern academies to ensure kids from those states tend to stay there - there’s enough players from VIC who want to come home and F/S will even themselves out for the most part but need to get rid of the 20% discount and work out a better points system.

I don’t really know the solution, maybe something like you need to use a pick in the same round as the nomination so if they go first round you need to use at least one first rounder and so on stopping teams from selling their whole draft hand and loading up with late picks

I think they should stop teams from delisting and redrafting to free up a spot and pick for points. It’s a non authentic list management tactic done purely for draft points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back