Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse my being a bit off the pace here (and slightly off topic), but can anyne explain to me in what sense it is a "combine"? What is being combined with what?
Or are we just slavishly adopting an American term without any idea what it means?

I was quite happy with "draft camp" TBH.
I like to think of it as running a combine harvester over all the players.

Excuse my being a bit off the pace here (and slightly off topic), but can anyne explain to me in what sense it is a "combine"? What is being combined with what?
Or are we just slavishly adopting an American term without any idea what it means?

To combine, and bring together a bunch of people I would think it is what the main meaning goes by. If you look at the below link it makes more sense, and less like an American thing

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/combine

Otherwise just go with Dan's definition, I like that one so much better

I think it is referring to combining the best players of all the U18 leagues so that you can compare the quality of the players from each on an equal level.
By combining all the leagues you can then see whether a 100 goal monster in one league is a future champion or simply an above average player coming up against weak opponents.

Whatever it is, it's Seppo bloody garbage.

Hopefully Gillon will start to do away with Vlad's americanisms over time.

Really hope we rookie Foster. A year at Footscray will be great for his development and we will know then if his AFL ready or not.
When we've been starved of KPFs since last century it makes sense to grab every chance we get. If he can be rookied it is surely worth a shot as it wouldn't cost too much. Give him two years to see if he can develop into a worthwhile player.

I think it should be allowed, a bit like what they do in the NFL. How can you be sure about a players raw attributes before you draft them if you cannot test them? Hence it becomes a risky, based on what you saw on the field vs average opponents type of risk. Clubs should be able to test players they are keen on, but only if they don't make the combine

It is definitely allowed. In 2012 for example Stringer never did any endurance testing at the combine or repeat sprinting, but was done privately. The club was reasonably happy with the results given his injury obviously. Macrae tested very poorly in the endurance and repeat sprints at the combine, privately he tested a lot better apparently. Not sure about Hrovat, but he didn't test all that well at the combine. Hunter tested poorly in the beep test both times, yet he had the highest recorded Vo2max score recorded by a young player at the club which was done privately (it's also done at draft combine, but he didn't test anywhere near as well). Potentially he has an elite tank. Prudden I don't think went to any of the combines, tested very well in endurance especially given his injury history.

It is definitely allowed. In 2012 for example Stringer never did any endurance testing at the combine or repeat sprinting, but was done privately. The club was reasonably happy with the results given his injury obviously. Macrae tested very poorly in the endurance and repeat sprints at the combine, privately he tested a lot better apparently. Not sure about Hrovat, but he didn't test all that well at the combine. Hunter tested poorly in the beep test both times, yet he had the highest recorded Vo2max score recorded by a young player at the club which was done privately (it's also done at draft combine, but he didn't test anywhere near as well). Potentially he has an elite tank. Prudden I don't think went to any of the combines, tested very well in endurance especially given his injury history.
Very interesting. It wouldn't be that hard to engineer a bit of draft tampering would it?

They've limited it to 100 in recent times. 96 were invited this year, so there's the potential for others to be added. Generally you need about four clubs to express some interest for a player to get an invite.

I'm not sure about private testing but my gut would say that it's not allowed.
Private testing is allowed but only with permission from the AFL and only if the player has not been tested at one of the combines.
According to the article when the bombers got caught breaching the rule http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-23/bombers-fined-20000-over-draftee-testing :
"AFL rules say that clubs are not permitted to request, invite, allow, require or direct a player who had attended a combine or state screening session to be tested, evaluated or to do any form of training with either the club or an associated club before being drafted. "
I'm pretty sure that there is a rule which forces the team to alert the other teams that they want to test a particular player so that the player doesn't have to be individually tested by multiple clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standings at the moment

1st- Jayden Foster- 29
2nd- Peter Wright- 26
3rd- Reece McKenzie- 26
4th- Taylor Joyce- 26
5th- Toby McLean- 25
6th- Jess Palmer- 24
7th- Josh Schache- 24
8th- Aaron Christensen- 22
9th- Dan Houston- 22
10th- Blake Hardwick- 21
Josh Schache, one to watch for next years draft ;)

hope we can get more KPP father sons in

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back