Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

When we've been starved of KPFs since last century it makes sense to grab every chance we get. If he can be rookied it is surely worth a shot as it wouldn't cost too much. Give him two years to see if he can develop into a worthwhile player.
We've drafted and traded for many KPF's in the last 15 years. Unfortunately almost all of them have turned out to be list cloggers.

Just remember that a crap tall is still crap - we should not 'grab every chance we get'. We should be selective and identify the right player and then work to get them to the club, whether that me through a trade of through the draft.

Zaine Cordy (Geelong Falcons) -

Recently played on fellow Geelong Falcon and probable number one pick, Patrick McCartin in the local AVGS derby between Geelong Colledge and Geelong Grammar. Cordy got the better of him early on, which will be welcome news for Bulldogs fans who fear he may be a fraction undersized. McCartin eventually broke even with him in the end, but it was a tough battle between two fierce competitiors.

Just found that, from a week or two back though. Still not too bad an effort for a skinny, undersized defender to break even with the manchild number 1 pick! Really like what I'm hearing about Cordy, capable of playing tall and small, and no doubt we've given him specific things (probably defensively) to work on this year and he still has an offensive side he hasn't been using as often.

Foster sounds the goods too, hopefully we don't need to spend more than a 4th rounder on him otherwise it could be a pretty big mistake to not have rookie listed him last year.

Zaine Cordy (Geelong Falcons) -

Recently played on fellow Geelong Falcon and probable number one pick, Patrick McCartin in the local AVGS derby between Geelong Colledge and Geelong Grammar. Cordy got the better of him early on, which will be welcome news for Bulldogs fans who fear he may be a fraction undersized. McCartin eventually broke even with him in the end, but it was a tough battle between two fierce competitiors.

Just found that, from a week or two back though. Still not too bad an effort for a skinny, undersized defender to break even with the manchild number 1 pick! Really like what I'm hearing about Cordy, capable of playing tall and small, and no doubt we've given him specific things (probably defensively) to work on this year and he still has an offensive side he hasn't been using as often.

Foster sounds the goods too, hopefully we don't need to spend more than a 4th rounder on him otherwise it could be a pretty big mistake to not have rookie listed him last year.
Geelong college always dominate grammar though........:)

We've drafted and traded for many KPF's in the last 15 years. Unfortunately almost all of them have turned out to be list cloggers.

Just remember that a crap tall is still crap - we should not 'grab every chance we get'. We should be selective and identify the right player and then work to get them to the club, whether that me through a trade of through the draft.
That's fair comment and I didn't mean we draft every 193+cm forward indiscriminately.

Foster is leading the goalkicking in the TAC if I remember correctly. Somebody posted the leading goalscorers a day or two ago. He's ahead of supposed top 10 picks like Wright and McCartin. That doesn't make him a power forward/gorilla of course (Leigh Matthews once won a Coleman Medal) but I gather he has been playing as a KPF.

So if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th round pick he could be a good investment. Subject to all the usual caveats (good character, work ethic, sound body, straight teeth, etc). He has been invited to the state screening so at least one other club has their eyes on him.

That's fair comment and I didn't mean we draft every 193+cm forward indiscriminately.

Foster is leading the goalkicking in the TAC if I remember correctly. Somebody posted the leading goalscorers a day or two ago. He's ahead of supposed top 10 picks like Wright and McCartin. That doesn't make him a power forward/gorilla of course (Leigh Matthews once won a Coleman Medal) but I gather he has been playing as a KPF.

So if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th round pick he could be a good investment. Subject to all the usual caveats (good character, work ethic, sound body, straight teeth, etc). He has been invited to the state screening so at least one other club has their eyes on him.
Foster's played a lot more games than them, when you consider that they were playing Champs.
If we do take Foster it won't be any more than a rookie pick.

Foster's played a lot more games than them, when you consider that they were playing Champs.
Sorry, of course. Complete dud. ;)
<sotto voce> Was I speaking too loudly?

Actually I just found the stats myself. Here are the goalkickers with 20 or more. Only two players have a better goals per game average. I know he's a year or two older than some of these kids and maybe he always gets the 2nd best defender and... blah, blah, blah ... but I'm still happy that he's a F/S option for us.
upload_2014-8-5_9-41-45.png

PS: No point being sotto voce ... you can't hide a kid who's leading the goalkicking!

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not ...

We might not be able to rookie Foster if we want to be sure of grabbing him under the father-son rules. If we nominate him and some other club bids for him, naturally our hand will be forced. However if no other club bids for him my understanding is we will be obliged to take him with our last pick in the National Draft. This means we lose the opportunity to rookie him.

The only other option would be not to nominate him as a father son. That way he would be available for us to rookie, but only if no other club drafts him. I think that would be unlikely.

From Wikipedia:
If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

I know it's relatively early days and we might yet decide we don't want him, but does this interpretation of the rules sound correct?

I work with Norm Wright, Peter's Wright father. I can tell you that Foster is held in high regard at Calder and is getting noticed, injury stuffed him last year but most people at Calder expect him to be drafted. If we want him at this stage it will take more than a rookie selection.

Agreed, but its not an exact science. The more you draft, and the higher your pick, the better your chances. Never taking a risk during drafting means you have to take those risks at the trade table, or simply go without. So far we have taken the latter route.

I am not at all opposed to Sydneys method of drafting mids because you know what your getting, and just stealing talls from other clubs once they have proven themselves - its ideal except that its expensive.

We should be just about throwing the farm at at a young proven tall or two from somewhere right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I work with Norm Wright, Peter's Wright father. I can tell you that Foster is held in high regard at Calder and is getting noticed, injury stuffed him last year but most people at Calder expect him to be drafted. If we want him at this stage it will take more than a rookie selection.
This sounds right. Last year was probably our only chance to rookie him.

Foster might average 0.2 fewer goals a game, and maybe the circumstances are different for them with the others playing champs, but let's see how they all go in the AFL system. I'm not all that interested in Foster, but I like his chances standing at FF for Footscray under a McCartney/Maple led development team before slotting in next to Jones and Crameri at AFL level.

I'm not sure you can say the same for, say, McCartin playing down at Sandy and slotting in next to nobody, or Wright playing in that god forsaken NEAFL, if those are indeed their destinations.

Not saying I'm a big Foster fan but it's something to consider, anyway. Once they're on an AFL list, things change.

We should be just about throwing the farm at at a young proven tall or two from somewhere right now.
Not against this, because we would be making a play for a good tall. My issue has been that we've drafted and brought in plenty of talls but they have almost to a man been crap.

Not against this, because we would be making a play for a good tall. My issue has been that we've drafted and brought in plenty of talls but they have almost to a man been crap.

Doesn't mean there weren't good ones to be had, we just picked the wrong ones.

Could have and Frawley or Riewolt - got Everitt.
could have and a bunch of average to good genuine KPP's - got Grant.

Clayton regularly discounted intensity/presence/competitiveness which is almost primarily what you want from keypos. They don't have to mark everything or kick 8 goals as long a they get to lots of contests in the right place, and are rarely out and out beaten.

I can see why we would persist with redpath - he doesn't have the nous/fitness to make it to enough contests yet, but when he does, things happen - people fall over, loose balls bounce around. And he has the invaluable trait of being a decent kick for goal.

It is definitely allowed. In 2012 for example Stringer never did any endurance testing at the combine or repeat sprinting, but was done privately. The club was reasonably happy with the results given his injury obviously. Macrae tested very poorly in the endurance and repeat sprints at the combine, privately he tested a lot better apparently. Not sure about Hrovat, but he didn't test all that well at the combine. Hunter tested poorly in the beep test both times, yet he had the highest recorded Vo2max score recorded by a young player at the club which was done privately (it's also done at draft combine, but he didn't test anywhere near as well). Potentially he has an elite tank. Prudden I don't think went to any of the combines, tested very well in endurance especially given his injury history.

This worries me, Imagine if teams like Collingwood privately test players then tell them to 'tank' the combine.

JAYDEN FOSTER WATCH
Fossie kicked another 4.2 for Calder on the weekend, and racked up a couple of CMs. (Mmmmm ... wouldn't somebody who can take a CM in the forward 50 be handy?)

He still leads the TAC goalkicking but only just - Reece McKenzie kicked 6 following his bag of 10 earlier in the year. He also has more goals per game than any player apart from McKenzie.

upload_2014-8-18_18-19-26.png

I'm sure Fossie benefits from being in the same side as the much-vaunted Peter Wright (who kicked 1.3 and was listed among the best players) but it's hard to fault a bloke who's leading the competition's goalkicking.

Amid all the drooling about Durdin, Wright, McCartin etc has there been much talk about McKenzie? He's a good size (195cm), can obviously kick a bag of goals and is supposed to be a great contested mark. His Dad played for Carlton ... but only 67 games (hehe). I know this isn't the draft thread but would we have a look at him if available at pick 5 or 6?

JAYDEN FOSTER WATCH
Fossie kicked another 4.2 for Calder on the weekend, and racked up a couple of CMs. (Mmmmm ... wouldn't somebody who can take a CM in the forward 50 be handy?)

He still leads the TAC goalkicking but only just - Reece McKenzie kicked 6 following his bag of 10 earlier in the year. He also has more goals per game than any player apart from McKenzie.

I'm sure Fossie benefits from being in the same side as the much-vaunted Peter Wright (who kicked 1.3 and was listed among the best players) but it's hard to fault a bloke who's leading the competition's goalkicking.

Amid all the drooling about Durdin, Wright, McCartin etc has there been much talk about McKenzie? He's a good size (195cm), can obviously kick a bag of goals and is supposed to be a great contested mark. His Dad played for Carlton ... but only 67 games (hehe). I know this isn't the draft thread but would we have a look at him if available at pick 5 or 6?
Most of the talk seems to question if he will be able to translate it to AFL level considering he's already 100kg, but to be honest so is Wright, and McCartins pretty close so can't see why ones skills might not translate but the others will. A bigger concern would be that he's only kicked bags against NT, an undermanned Eastern Ranges and school footy IIRC, who'd he kick 6 against on the weekend?

Sounds like he will probably fall in between our two picks which is quite annoying, hopefully if Higgins does leave he's still there at our compo pick. I'm loving what I'm hearing about Foster though, just sounds like the exact type of player we need, and his results obviously speak for themselves.

Most of the talk seems to question if he will be able to translate it to AFL level considering he's already 100kg, but to be honest so is Wright, and McCartins pretty close so can't see why ones skills might not translate but the others will. A bigger concern would be that he's only kicked bags against NT, an undermanned Eastern Ranges and school footy IIRC, who'd he kick 6 against on the weekend?

Sounds like he will probably fall in between our two picks which is quite annoying, hopefully if Higgins does leave he's still there at our compo pick. I'm loving what I'm hearing about Foster though, just sounds like the exact type of player we need, and his results obviously speak for themselves.
Thanks - fair comment.
He played for Northern Knights vs Bendigo Pioneers. They flogged 'em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back