Favourite Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malt & Vine is an incredible little store. One of the best ranges of brews in Melbourne.

I don't really have a favourite but floating around the preferred few at the moment:

Cisk - which is the beer of choice in Malta.
Bia Saigon - Vietnam
James Squire Golden Ale
Kronenbourg 1664 -
Estrella -
Yuengling Black and Tan - Which is only available in a couple of states in the US.

Why would you go to a place with a great range of beers, and then pick out the worst ones there? Every single one of those beers is poop.

Staropramen. Might go for one now.

An excellent, and cheap, Czech pilsenser that is very tasty :thumbsu:

May I also recommend the Kozel premium (not the Dark, way WAY too sickly sweet), And a couple of Polish beauties...Okocim (they also have a Porter that is simply mind blowing) and Zywiec.

Why would you go to a place with a great range of beers, and then pick out the worst ones there? Every single one of those beers is poop.

An excellent, and cheap, Czech pilsenser that is very tasty :thumbsu:

May I also recommend the Kozel premium (not the Dark, way WAY too sickly sweet), And a couple of Polish beauties...Okocim (they also have a Porter that is simply mind blowing) and Zywiec.

An excellent choice.;)

also, one I have recently discovered. Blue Tongue lager. Very nice and easy to drink. Reminds me a bit of Grolsch.

Wow. A disagreement on something as subjective as taste! In fact I think only Kronenbourg is sold at Malt & Vine.

And have you really had Yuengling?

Tried the Moo Brew Dark Ale on the weekend:thumbsu:.

Wow. A disagreement on something as subjective as taste! In fact I think only Kronenbourg is sold at Malt & Vine.

And have you really had Yuengling?

Tried the Moo Brew Dark Ale on the weekend:thumbsu:.

I'm not sold on any bottled black and tans i've had, Yeungling among them. I'm fortunate that i've had a few beer contacts in the States over the years, and have been able to get a hold of a great many beers that you will never see here.

Most micro brewed beers in the US cannot be sold outside of the state they are brewed in and the states immediately surrounding them.

I must admit i've never been to Malt and Vine, coz I go to Acland cellars or Purvis, so I thought you have bought the beers you mentioned there. Apologies for the error.

I'm not going to knock your taste too much womble, I saw your quality recommendations on the Lebanese restaurant thread :D

Best beer i've had this week....Hook Norton Double Stout. A ripper :thumbsu:

I've not had the bottled black and tan. I lived in the US for a little while and was lucky enough to try it fresh.

Are there any Australian Black and Tan's that you know of?

Double Stout? Sounds like a meal!

Where is Purvis?

Anyone try the Sundown lager james squire put out? Not that bad,

Currently ive moved away from the beer, Im hitting the cider now, Magners is the shiznit.

But im still sticking to the Kilkenny and Kronenberg:thumbsu:

Yeah I personally don't understand this recent obession people have with Cider. It's just too sickly sweet for mine. And I reckon Cider is a sure fire way to pack on the kilo's too. As if beer wasn't bad enough!

I've not had the bottled black and tan. I lived in the US for a little while and was lucky enough to try it fresh.

Are there any Australian Black and Tan's that you know of?

Double Stout? Sounds like a meal!

Where is Purvis?

Purvis is in Surrey Hills on Whitehorse Road.

Grand Ridge do a black and tan, which I have had on tap and in the bottle. It's a mixture of their Gippsland Gold and Hat Lifter Stout, but personally, I find it works better when you mix them yourself.

One black and tan I do like, is Little Creatures Pale with Coopers Best Extra. It ends up tasting like some enormously strong US stouts that I've had.

Apparantly it's "horse piss" in Mexico. They don't topuch the stuff. But saying that I find it alright and it is very easy to drink so good on a night like NYE.;)

Kind of like the beer "Sol"?

Bought a slab of that and it seems alright on the hot days.:thumbsu:
LOL! WTF! Where did you hear that?!

yep i certainly let my mate know about it when he came back with coronas after it was his round the other night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I personally don't understand this recent obession people have with Cider. It's just too sickly sweet for mine. And I reckon Cider is a sure fire way to pack on the kilo's too. As if beer wasn't bad enough!

I dont think Beer is really any better to be honest, but on a nice hot day you probably sweat it out anyways

Surely Corona has been done to death in this thread lads?

As for cider, well so far all it seems good for to me is helping you get back in the game the morning after a big night on the drink. It is refreshing as hell, so it rehydrates you (or at least feels like it does) and gets you drunk too. So, after a couple of ciders, you can move on to the real drinks :thumbsu:

I think I've already said it somewhere on this thread, but i'll say it again.

Corona is NOT beer. Neither is Sol or other related crap like Miller Chill.
Correct!
Has anybody on here ever had Smithwicks Irish Ale and/or knows a bottlo in Australia that sells it?
This Irish bird that I'm friends with reckons its all she drinks in Ireland.

Surely Corona has been done to death in this thread lads?

As for cider, well so far all it seems good for to me is helping you get back in the game the morning after a big night on the drink. It is refreshing as hell, so it rehydrates you (or at least feels like it does) and gets you drunk too. So, after a couple of ciders, you can move on to the real drinks :thumbsu:

Beat me too it. If you are required to back up & are struggling, a couple of these puppies should get things moving again.

Just got back from Bright where I became reacquainted with the Bright Brewery stuff (great place for a drink on a...well, anytime really:thumbsu:). For those who go to the Malt and Vine, grab yourself a Staircase Porter, a Razor Witbier and a Fainters Dubbel (8.5%). The other beer I really enjoyed while up there was Beechworth's Bridge Road Brewery India Pale Ale - a really ballsy brew.

The North East has a great micro thing going with some great beer coming out of the region. Check 'em out.

For the connoisseurs - do self-mixed black & tans work with Porters? I've gotta give it a go...

I think I've already said it somewhere on this thread, but i'll say it again.

Corona is NOT beer. Neither is Sol or other related crap like Miller Chill.
Funnily enough, dislike corona/millers, but i wont comment on Sol, if its around ill drink it, i wouldnt touch the other two

Wouldnt spend money on any however

Millers Chill is the bomb. Had a 6 pack of it on NYE, and wish I had a carton of it instead of the crownies.

For the connoisseurs - do self-mixed black & tans work with Porters? I've gotta give it a go...

Absolutely.

I've used James Squire Porter with a couple of things, and I mixed a Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter with their Pale Ale and it was a ripper.

Which reminds me, I also had a Sammy Smiths Imperial Stout earlier for the first time in 3 or 4 years and let me just say it is one of the worlds finest examples of the style :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back