robd

Senior List
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
hey all, this is my first time posting in the carlton forums, normally hang out in the NBA forum. i'm a massive Fevola fan, and recently i've been digging up some stats that i thought people in here might be interested in.

essentially, I pulled together all the leading goal kickers since 2000 who kicked 70+ goals in a season. i then divided their tally by the number of games their team won that season. This 'goals per win' ratio comes out pretty consistently between 4.0 and 8.0, but Fev is a massive exception to the rule.

This does NOT take into account Finals games, but it DOES take into account Finals goals. So players that made Finals in this list come out even more favorably (as the denominator is lower).

fevola.bmp

It's amazing how Fev's 2006 season (28.00) is miles ahead of anyone else, and the next closest is Fev again in 2008 (9.90).

Obviously its not the most meaningful stat, and it might be more of a reflection of the team than the player. but i still find it interesting. I'm intrigued to go back another 10 or 20 years to see if anyone has ever kicked so many goals on a team so bad.

what does everyone else think?

These are very interesting statistics.

The thing about full forwards is that they rely on their team getting them the ball (be it lace out or just inside the 50). Fev has been at his peak whilst playing is a very poor side, that often was getting blown away by 10-20 goals, which has no doubt cost him over 100 career goals.

Fev is only the second player in history to win a coleman medal and a wooden spoon in the same year.

Everyone talks about Matthew LLoyd, but image in Fev had been in the same circumstances as Lloyd was when he had one of the most dominate teams in history delivering him the ball from 1999-2002. He would have smashed 100 goals each of those years.

Also I'm pretty sure Fev has never played in a final (if he did, he would have been sh!t back then anyway) so thats an extra 1-4 games each season that he has missed out on.

Also I'm pretty sure Fev has never played in a final (if he did, he would have been sh!t back then anyway) so thats an extra 1-4 games each season that he has missed out on.

5 finals for Fev.

In 2000 finals, he kicked 0, 4 and 2.
In 2001 finals, he kicked 1 and 0.

He was hardly our go to man back then however.

I think it would be more meaningful to look at the number of goals kicked during winning games and then work that out as an average.

You could then compare that to the number of goals per loss. I would expect Fev to average more goals per win than he does per loss which shows what an important player he is for us.

Nice work on the sheet, but in its current form, I think that stat is pretty meaningless.

5 finals for Fev.

In 2000 finals, he kicked 0, 4 and 2.
In 2001 finals, he kicked 1 and 0.

He was hardly our go to man back then however.

That's right, was it 2000 when dean wallace was giving him cheapies all day?

How many other player on our list have played finals (for us). Fev and houlihan?

How many other player on our list have played finals (for us). Fev and houlihan?
Yes, that about wraps it up. I'm just glad we didn't turn over 100% of our list before seeing finals again. Both have been on shaky ground a few times though.

Wiggins was the other player who was at the club when we last played finals but as a first year player he didn't play in the 2001 finals.

Yes, that about wraps it up. I'm just glad we didn't turn over 100% of our list before seeing finals again. Both have been on shaky ground a few times though.

Wiggins was the other player who was at the club when we last played finals but as a first year player he didn't play in the 2001 finals.

If someone told me at the end of 2001 that there would only be 3 players remaining on the list next time we played finals, I would have jumped off a bridge!

just had a look at Plugger's stats. all his massive seasons came on reasonably successful teams.

1987 - 117 goals - 9 wins
1991 - 127 goals - 14 wins
1992 - 132 goals - 14 wins
1995 - 110 goals - 8 wins
1996 - 121 goals - 16 wins
1998 - 109 goals - 14 wins

the only season thats comparable to Fev's 2006 season is when he kicked 79 goals in 1985, and the Saints only had 3 wins.

just had a look at Plugger's stats. all his massive seasons came on reasonably successful teams.

1987 - 117 goals - 9 wins
1991 - 127 goals - 14 wins
1992 - 132 goals - 14 wins
1995 - 110 goals - 8 wins
1996 - 121 goals - 16 wins
1998 - 109 goals - 14 wins

the only season thats comparable to Fev's 2006 season is when he kicked 79 goals in 1985, and the Saints only had 3 wins.

Therefore Plugger was a hack and a front runner and

FEV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLUGGER ;)

Ofcourse its going to come up as 28.00 goals per win, carlton only won 3 games that year:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

other players on our list with sept experience include our immaculate capt, mr judd, and hadley, albiet not as blue baggers

interesting analysis on the full fwds, as other posters have pointed out, just demonstrates good full fwds in shonky teams or one trick pony teams...

Remove this Banner Ad

FEVOLA and goals per win - a stat you've never seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back