Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we give them 4 points back to stop the whinging? Haha nah!
Nah, let them whinge. It's been fun. Then we can just tune out when it gets boring.

Tbh, can’t wait to play Freo again. A Decade of giving them misery would be nice.
I would honestly be happy for them to win that one. It would feel like such a huge win for them. Let them get a taste of what it's like to win a grand final. Who knows, after that a grand final might not feel that good.

Exactly why did they rally around him…the AFL know what he said and AS IF he was talking in the third person !! He ain’t that smart
He probably thinks talking in the 3rd person means having a conversation with two other people.

First post here.

Firstly on the last minute or so of the game. As a nuffy supporter if roles were reversed, I reckon I too would be screaming blue murder had we have lost on a touched mark.

Having said that, I expect the media to be more professional than that and look at the game in its entirety. Freo got a number of free kicks in front of goal. I concede the majority were there, but there were a couple I'd call controversial to say the least.

Furthermore, in a game of footy, that would be a number of marks paid that would have scraped the fingernails, flicked the hair and were missed. If they want to run through the entire game and carefully check each mark to ensure not a single one was touched in anyway shape or form and if they were, did that lead to a goal, lets have a discussion about that. These things happen.

Some go way, some don't go your way. We seem to have done well of late in the close ones, but it wasn't too long ago where none of them went our way. It is in part experience and being better prepared to handle those situations and yes there is an element of luck. The luck component will turn eventually so we need to make the most of it.

As for the dissent free, that is 100% on Jordan Clarke. It was stupid,undicsiplined and selfish by him. If one of our players did that (and I reckon Nic Newman was dangerously close to conceding a 50 for dissent earlier in the game) I'd be ropeable with the player and would expect Voss ro read him the riot act. Not our problem in this case.

That's for Freo and J-Lo to deal with. Anyway, with 40 odd seconds on the clock and fact they'd only kicked 9 for the game (and a number of those from free kicks), whilst not impossible, the likelihood of them kicking a goal and winning the game would be slim from there.

My main observation from this game and the other 3 season is that we are in far better shape from playing style than we were 12 months ago when we were just travelling. I'd expect our clearance work to get better though.

Having said that, I think there are too many who do too little over the 4 quarters leaving others to pick up the slack. I know the small forward role is the hardest in footy and I know both Corey and Orazio are coming back from injury, but I don't think either of them get involved enough.

Orazio makes basic errors like the one which gave Freo back the lead in the last when he left his man. I believe Owies need to get more involved too but he is at least hitting the scoreboard.

With Jesse at least another week away, Jack M further and Fog out this week, they'll all need to step up. I love Ollie Hollands. His running capacity and courage are admirable. However, his kicking is a real concern. Not sure it is up to standard at this point. Brodie Kemp - love that he always backs himself but for mine for every good things he does, he is doing 3 bad things. Needs to cut those errors down considerably.

Have no stats to back this up, only going by naked eye so happy to be corrected but seems to me Saad is playing with a lot less risk. Taking less running bounces (though took a few more this game), taking the safe option with the kick as well. Not sure if that is a decision he has made or coaches call with Gov and Zac W assigned to take the game on more.

Oh yeah and Cerra kicked a ripping goal early in the game, but on the whole been well down on last seasons output.

Having said all that, all in all, far more positive start to the season and looking forward to seeing the great man back next week.
Great first post. Probably better than all my previous 11000+ combined. Welcome to the asylum.

I agree that I would be annoyed at losing the lead on a touched mark like that, but I'd be banking on the boys to pull it together for one last ditch effort in the final 40 seconds from the centre bounce. Was a couple of recent games where the first goals kicked both happened in the space of 19-20 seconds.
I'd be super pissed at our player if they pulled a Clark and denied us that opportunity (and if anyone's likely to do it, it would be Newman, like you said), but as long as they learned from it and pulled their head in moving forward.
Our players have actually done really well when it comes to dissent and just giving away 50s in general. We would be well ahead of the ledger in recent years. Some people call it bias, I call it discipline.

The scoreline flatters them IMO
They hang in the game because they park the bus at the complete expense of potency in offence
There's a reason you don't see many teams play like that anymore

100% agree. It's a loser mentality to approach a game with. Hard to win a premiership with that. You're going in saying to your players - they're better than us so we'll just try to nullify their superior talent.

Ironically they have the talent in my opinion to go head to head a lot more.

Funny as the head of the AFL seemed pretty sure what was said.... And that it wasn't suitable to be repeated on morning telly.

Absolute lies from out West to try save face.

Have a look at the replay. Clarke went right at the umpire. His story that he was talking to himself is absolutely farcical.

What a tool - can't even own up to his actions.

It is likely the umpire didn’t hear exactly what was said, but it is also likely the umpire heard enough of what was said to understand what was being said.
Don’t fall into the trap that not hearing exactly what was said means he didn’t hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is likely the umpire didn’t hear exactly what was said, but it is also likely the umpire heard enough of what was said to understand what was being said.
Don’t fall into the trap that not hearing exactly what was said means he didn’t hear anything.

I'd go a step further & venture to say A) The umpire heard EXACTLY what was said & B) Was picked up on Umpire mic hence the AFL coming out on Sunday morning stating they couldn't repeat what was said "at 9am on TV".... so yeah, instead of owning up & saying I should have shut up & moved on...especially when one of my own teammates (Luke Ryan) hits me, I kept slagging off the ump. I'm all for backing your teammates in but that was dumb take from his captain amidst the evidence.

The footage sees Clark moving from about 8 metres away from the umpire to 5 metres and yelling directly at him. Umpire blows his whistle immediately. I think we can safely assume that the umpire heard exactly was said and that Clark and some of his team mates have been deliberately obtuse or have just straight out lied since.

Look forward to the unconscious bias from the umpires towards Freo for the rest of the season.
Make no mistake, the umps will talk between themselves and they will be unimpressed with what’s come out from over in the West.
As a player you’ve got to leave the umpire bashing to us ferals in the outer, will only hurt you in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only way this could have been better is if Jack Newnes had gone into umpiring and been the one to make the call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only way this could have been better is if Jack Newnes had gone into umpiring and been the one to make the call.
Or the ball was touched a third time

The best is Alex Pearce saying in his interview “the umpire didn’t mean to miss the touched football” - that’s a better drive by than Clark gave on the day.

The footage sees Clark moving from about 8 metres away from the umpire to 5 metres and yelling directly at him. Umpire blows his whistle immediately. I think we can safely assume that the umpire heard exactly was said and that Clark and some of his team mates have been deliberately obtuse or have just straight out lied since.
Why do we have to assume, can’t the umpires microphone pick up someone yelling at them 5m away.

You’d think if they have a recording the AFL would send Freo or Clark a copy and tell him to pull his head in. Maybe the audio isn’t that clear? Would be great if we could hear it.

Must admit.............Freo tears are delicious :freo::'(:p
Yep I've enjoyed every minute of it. I know winning the way we did isn't the most desired way to snatch 4 points generally but personally I was elated. Freo deserved every aspect of it.

Anyone else know why the hell Jackson would tap the ball out of the stoppage at the end.Youd think they’d just keep it in tight.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just heard TDK being interviewed it was a set play, to throw Jackson off…which it did

What a bunch of ****ing cry babies :cryv1:

Charlie & Harry are double/tripled teamed most games.

HTFU Freo, you play a :poo: brand of footy!

Fremantle has asked the AFL umpiring department for clarity on the treatment of key forward Jye Amiss by the Carlton backline in last Sunday’s Gather Round defeat.
Dockers coach Justin Longmuir confirmed the club had sent “a few clips” to the AFL and sought an explanation on the treatment of their young forward.

Amiss kicked 1.1 from four disposals after being swamped by the Blues’ backline, with Jacob Weitering his main opponent, but others including Mitch McGovern playing key roles in curbing his output.

08b98e286c0e92959d6d925c4c1757e2.jpg

What a bunch of ****ing cry babies :cryv1:

Charlie & Harry are double/tripled teamed most games.

HTFU Freo, you play a :poo: brand of footy!

I hope he also asked for a please explain as to why Kennedy didn't get a free kick against Ryan 30 seconds before Cottrell's mark.

Although I do understand why he wants more frees, basically the only way they can manage to kick a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 4 Blues win in miraculous escape

Back