Fevola is there any chance

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are being a bit melodramatic!

If he stuffed up (& I don't think he will) we would simply give him the flick - as he has cost us nothing anyway.

And so no big deal.

But then if he doesn't stuff up :).

IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF BUT WHEN. Why do you think every club is adamant they won't touch him? Imagine what a role model he would be for the impressionable young recruits, and how impressed our corporate sponsors would be to be associated with a recalcitrant like Fevola. They would be thrilled to be associated with the Family club!!!!

I’d say go for it, sponsor isn’t an issue everyone knows what the risks are and the club won’t be held responsible if he does go off track, 40k a year worth the punt when we can pick him up with out any cost to our list

I’d say go for it, sponsor isn’t an issue everyone knows what the risks are and the club won’t be held responsible if he does go off track, 40k a year worth the punt when we can pick him up with out any cost to our list

What a quaint way of looking at it. The moment you pick up someone like Fevola, you ARE responsible for him whether you like it or not.

We have a very special thing going on at Hawthorn, have had for many years. Why do people want to destroy all that for a disruptive idiot like Fevola? People really need to come out from behind their dream teams and face up to reality.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm discussing this. I have full faith that my club would never do anything so stupid as to opt for Fevola.

IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF BUT WHEN. Why do you think every club is adamant they won't touch him? Imagine what a role model he would be for the impressionable young recruits, and how impressed our corporate sponsors would be to be associated with a recalcitrant like Fevola. They would be thrilled to be associated with the Family club!!!!

Sounds to me you are clutching at straws.

I think our impressionable young recruits :rolleyes: would look at fev as an example of what can happen if you do fall off the rails no matter how good you are - he would actually be a positive influence.

As far as our corporate sponsors I didn't hear anyone complaining when another club picked up somebody who went to gaol for quite a violent crime - what fev has done is nothing in comparison. We can in fact sell it as our community responsibility to assist somebody who is trying to reform themselves.

And as far as the family club goes fev is a father & needs help - HFC given the quality of the organisation is just the club to lead him onto the "straight & narrow".

Sounds to me you are clutching at straws.

I think our impressionable young recruits :rolleyes: would look at fev as an example of what can happen if you do fall off the rails no matter how good you are - he would actually be a positive influence.

As far as our corporate sponsors I didn't hear anyone complaining when another club picked up somebody who went to gaol for quite a violent crime - what fev has done is nothing in comparison. We can in fact sell it as our community responsibility to assist somebody who is trying to reform themselves.

And as far as the family club goes fev is a father & needs help - HFC given the quality of the organisation is just the club to lead him onto the "straight & narrow".

Until such time as Fev recognises and admits he has some serious problems and actively seeks help he will be a liability to himself and any footy club silly enough to recruit him. The only person who can really help him is himself.
IF there was some evidence to suggest that Fev had reached this stage it may be worthwhile taking a chance on him. However from what my Carlton mates tell me Fev is still in denial.

I'm with Brown Blood. One chance. If he stuffs up no Box Hill contract either; he is just gone. Footy finished for 2012.

Hawthorn handle the media well. Clarko is no nonsense. Fev did not want to go to Brisbane that was obvious from the outset. If we are truly the family club how good would it be to see Fev reconcile with his family and win a flag?

Idealistic sentimentalism from Great 2008.....probably.... but it would still be a great story.;)

Until such time as Fev recognises and admits he has some serious problems and actively seeks help he will be a liability to himself and any footy club silly enough to recruit him. The only person who can really help him is himself.
IF there was some evidence to suggest that Fev had reached this stage it may be worthwhile taking a chance on him. However from what my Carlton mates tell me Fev is still in denial.

But betting on the Pokies/Poker isn't gambling mate. He only has a problem with the horses. :D

Just spoke to a mate in Melbourne. Essendon is the club who approached him. Makes more sense than the other big Vic clubs (including us).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King weighs into the debate. Would never take his opinion too seriously after completely writing off Geelong numerous times this year, but it's just another article adding fuel to the fire.

North Melbourne premiership player David King believes Hawthorn could be the club that resurrects Brendan Fevola's AFL career.

Fevola management claims that there has been interest in the troubled star, after he was sacked by Brisbane Lions this year, and King claims the Hawks would be a perfect fit for the two-time Coleman medallist.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...volas-afl-career/story-e6frf3e3-1226169162629

Forget the fact that he is a ********, bad influence and a pisshead. The game has past him by. The lead up full forward is a thing of the past. You must have more strings in your bow. Buddy plays as much as a midfielder these days and can charge into space. You also need to be able to put on defensive pressure and be adaptable. Fev is none of these things and simply would not fit into our game plan. Look at the teams with slow forwards (Hille). The successful teams have forwards who can lead, take contested marks, tackle and run, run, run. Fev is none of these.

I'd take him. One chance only. One stuff up and he's gone. What is there to lose? Would probably get him for a low price.

How does Fev go one-on-one?

"Hawks need Fev to win flag" - David King

"Fevola’s management claimed last week there had been interest in the 30-year-old from at least one Victorian club, and King said last night Fevola could be the last piece to the Hawks premiership puzzle."

“Under (Hawks coach) Alastair Clarkson, who has got that premiership already so there's no real pressure on him, any error that Brendan would make he'd be out the door in a flash,” King said on Fox Sports.

“I think there has to be some sort of doubt about how Jarryd Roughead comes back post Achilles (injury) and the surgery setback he's already had and Cyril Rioli with constant hamstring issues.

“I just think maybe for 12 months have a look and maybe you can steal another premiership with this gun full forward.”

Source: Herald Sun

I know there's another discussion thread, but I think this article deserves its own thread considering the speculation between Hawthorn and Fevola that is likely to follow.

I quite like David King, I generally like hearing what he has to say. He certainly has a good knowledge of the game and is usually fairly insightful. Unlike other media personalities like Tony Shaw and Robert Walls, I'm willing to take most of what he says as a fair and unbiased opinion.

I'm left on the proverbial fence after reading this. My initial thought was that Fevola comes with too much baggage. Yes, the footy world loves fairy tale stories, and for Brendan to join the club and help us take out the flag would be an extraordinary one. That said, one of the quickest ways to derail a clubs season is heavy unwanted media scrutiny, which we all know would pile on the club at the slightest indiscretion by Brendan.

I guess it comes down to risk vs reward. We know how skilled Brendan can be when he keeps his head in check off the field, but ultimately I don't think its worth the risk. With the list we have moving forward, I'd give us a realistic shot at the flag next year proved we have a decent run with injuries and such (touch wood) and given Fevola's track record in recent times, its hard to be convinced that in a 10 month period he wouldn't do anything that could jeopardise the clubs flag hopes.

So as it stands, my opinion is that we shouldn't recruit Brendan. That said, if the club did in fact get him, I'd be confident that they did it for the right reasons. Clarkson knows the list better than any of us possibly could and I trust him to make the right calls.

Re: "Hawks need Fev to win flag" - David King

I'd take Fev under some conditions
- minimum wage
- rookie list
- no grog
- no gambling
- if he's out past 9pm any night he needs to tell the club where
- no negative media coverage

basically he'd be pretty much under house arrest aside from training and games.

If he can live with that he's in.

I wouldn't be interested if Clarko himself was our only option up forward, let alone with our current stacked forward half. Would be livid if we entertained this idea, which i am almost certain we wouldn't.

I like David King, he says what he feels and there may be some sense with the Fev comment, but there is now way we will be taking Fev under any curcumstances.

We need to start playing someone out of the goal square, a lead up forward, don't care who.

Just to reduce the amount of time that our forward line get dragged up the ground, so much so that when we come out of defence, we have no-one forward of the centre circle let alone someone in our forward 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fevola is there any chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back