Memberships Finals Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimately I'm not certain where the blame lies .... but there are only 2 candidates .... our club and/or Ticketek.

The barcode sh1tstorm is unforgivable for all the reasons you've stated. Someone or some people get sacked for such gross incompetence in my view, and I don't care whether they are Dogs or Ticketek employees or both.

And if it's primarily Ticketek, a performance review where their contract is at stake should be on the table.
Isnā€™t the blame with the AFL more than the clubs. The clubs have no choice but to use the system the afl forces them to.

Maybe he went to the early openers šŸŗšŸŗ

Not since 1987 have I been to early openers :)

What was supposed to show in the reply:

For someone who has been working in the IT industry for 24 years , it's clear that the industry is now filled with strict criteria regarding staff qualifications linked to degrees and education. The emphasis on formal education ensures that employees have a strong foundational knowledge of technology, but it often results in a lack of soft skills and common sense. This might be one of the reasons behind errors like the one involving membership and the wrong barcode.

Isnā€™t the blame with the AFL more than the clubs. The clubs have no choice but to use the system the afl forces them to.
It depends. If the Hawks are forced to use the same system but didn't encounter any problems, what did our club do wrong or not get right?

I didn't have barcode issues but mine wasn't issued through the club. It was an AFL members barcode, not subject to a third party handling error.

It does seem like this was a Dogs clanger. And it cost a few entitled and deserving members the game. The review might be awks for some and Ticketing Match Committee have some decisions to make for the next game.

For someone who has been working in the IT industry for 24 years , it's clear that the industry is now filled with strict criteria regarding staff qualifications linked to degrees and education.

Yes, you and I alike, although I've been in it for 15. But you are potentially discounting what alot of companies (big or small, it doesnt matter) are doing now days and that is outsourcing their IT resources to India and other parts of Asia. With the average wage of an Australian IT worker, you can grab 3-5 resources from India to do the work... but you pay for what you get.

I've seen so many companies get burned by outsourcing IT work to shitty workers and get burned in the process.

It depends. If the Hawks are forced to use the same system but didn't encounter any problems, what did our club do wrong or not get right?

I didn't have barcode issues but mine wasn't issued through the club. It was an AFL members barcode, not subject to a third party handling error.

It does seem like this was a Dogs clanger. And it cost a few entitled and deserving members the game. The review might be awks for some and Ticketing Match Committee have some decisions to make for the next game.
A friend of mine is a Hawthorn member, he had issues.

Though he's about as tech savvy as a teaspoon so whether that was linked to the system or him, god only knows.

Not since 1987 have I been to early openers :)

What was supposed to show in the reply:

For someone who has been working in the IT industry for 24 years , it's clear that the industry is now filled with strict criteria regarding staff qualifications linked to degrees and education. The emphasis on formal education ensures that employees have a strong foundational knowledge of technology, but it often results in a lack of soft skills and common sense. This might be one of the reasons behind errors like the one involving membership and the wrong barcode.
Ah The Waterside in Flinders St. Walking past on my way to work I saw one of my staff sitting near the window drinking, maybe about 8am. I went in and said why are you drinking before work. She said oh we havenā€™t been home yet šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
I said do not come in to work. We were very easy going about the drinking culture back then, hello long lunches.
Oh and she was a Hawks supporter !!

A friend of mine is a Hawthorn member, he had issues.

Though he's about as tech savvy as a teaspoon so whether that was linked to the system or him, god only knows.
Again, it would depend on the issue. Was the barcode wrong/invalid or did he input it wrongly?

The employees at the Dogs or Ticketek are paid to get the input right, to double check and presumably test the validity before issuing them. Quite an important part of the process to ensure what happened doesn't happen. And a very reasonable expectation.

Someone or a group of people with this responsibility failed. And members have been unreasonably affected as a result.

Over-sight, incompetence or mistake, the end result is the same. There are no winners except those who've unwittingly benefited by getting tickets that wouldn't have been available had it not happened.

The culprits should be sacked in my view.

Yes, you and I alike, although I've been in it for 15. But you are potentially discounting what alot of companies (big or small, it doesnt matter) are doing now days and that is outsourcing their IT resources to India and other parts of Asia. With the average wage of an Australian IT worker, you can grab 3-5 resources from India to do the work... but you pay for what you get.

I've seen so many companies get burned by outsourcing IT work to shitty workers and get burned in the process.

Ah yes interminable daily phone hook ups dealing with the IT team developing our new pay system in India. Precious time Iā€™ll never get back

Spam away my friends https://help.ticketek.com.au/hc/en-us/requests/new

you can select the event and it is Australia, not US like it looks on the url

Thanks T22, but I found this page yesterday, but it's largely useless for the issues we've experienced.

Once you choose 'General enquiry' as what you are asking about, the other mandatory fields 'what is your enquiry about' and 'what is the nature of your enquiry etc' limit the options issues with ticket delivery AFTER purchase.

There is no complaint option, so submitting this form with the limited options goes into a big bucket at Ticketek HQ, and likely deleted.

Agree totally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks T22, but I found this page yesterday, but it's largely useless for the issues we've experienced.

Once you choose 'General enquiry' as what you are asking about, the other mandatory fields 'what is your enquiry about' and 'what is the nature of your enquiry etc' limit the options issues with ticket delivery AFTER purchase.

There is no complaint option, so submitting this form with the limited options goes into a big bucket at Ticketek HQ, and likely deleted.

Yep waste of time and as we keep saying it looks like this was an issue caused by the Dogs.
See my earlier post.
Ah I see you just did šŸ˜‚

I donā€™t understand the ā€œwrong databaseā€. The barcode they emailed me is the same barcode that is on my card so how is there a database with wrong barcodes?!?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's not my area of expertise but I'm guessing that your card barcode essentially becomes obsolete once finals start and they create a new database of barcodes to reflect ticketing priority. Seems like someone forgot to delete the superceded database and then issued it as the finals db/barcodes.

The reason for the new db being that priority finals ticketing allocation aren't built into and transferable in the H&A season barcode.

Maybe they should be. I just don't see how that can be that hard. They are for AFL members.

Happy for IT gurus to trash any assumptions I've made here coz I really have nfi how it works.

Last edited:
On the assumption it is a database issue, the problem could lie with either the club and/or ticketek.

My logic way of thinking about it is this. You have a database full of memberships right, but only a portion will be eligible for finals priority. So select all memberships eligible for finals priority and send to Ticktek. Now it is entirely up to the club to send the data over to Ticketek, no if or buts.

Now Ticketek simply grab the data and upload it into their system for user access/entry on the day - if they don't do this part properly or completely then thats where a portion of fans miss out.

It's impossible to know who's truly at fault here without being in the know in one or either side of the fence - but its the club and the ticket merchant that are involved here. 50/50 chance

Looks like this could very well pass the attendance of the 2016 Semi which was 87,800. There would have to be at least 90k+ there right?

On the assumption it is a database issue, the problem could lie with either the club and/or ticketek.

My logic way of thinking about it is this. You have a database full of memberships right, but only a portion will be eligible for finals priority. So select all memberships eligible for finals priority and send to Ticktek. Now it is entirely up to the club to send the data over to Ticketek, no if or buts.

Now Ticketek simply grab the data and upload it into their system for user access/entry on the day - if they don't do this part properly or completely then thats where a portion of fans miss out.

It's impossible to know who's truly at fault here without being in the know in one or either side of the fence - but its the club and the ticket merchant that are involved here. 50/50 chance
If certain barcodes worked and certain didn't the logic tells you that the bulldogs missed sending over the reserve seat holders. Ticketek would load whatever they received. There is no priority of member barcodes, all carry the same weight, whether its 3 game of gold member during the finals.

Looks like this could very well pass the attendance of the 2016 Semi which was 87,800. There would have to be at least 90k+ there right?
Will be in the 90s easily. Every seat and standing room will be sold, so it depends on the MCC Members turnout. 50% of the MCC Reserve has been pre-sold, leaving approx. 12,000 walk up seats.

How about we put a letter together to send to the club about our concerns and suggestions for a better system and organise by pm names to put to it with comments on level of membership [or anonymous if you wish].
As well as the database issues there is the issue of $1 and 3 game membership and guests getting same opportunity as full members. Anything else and do you think this is worth doing to try and improve things?

If certain barcodes worked and certain didn't the logic tells you that the bulldogs missed sending over the reserve seat holders. Ticketek would load whatever they received. There is no priority of member barcodes, all carry the same weight, whether its 3 game of gold member during the finals.
Are you sure? I thought an SC membership and presumably barcode guaranteed you a ticket. In that case, the barcode would have to indicate a different weighting/priority than one that represents a 3 game membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Memberships Finals Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back