Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

If Markov comes on, Pitto becomes a very solid trade option? Too good to be running around in the magoos, the best players should play AFL every week and Pitto gets a game in at least 6 other sides next season as the No 1 ruck.
Markov isn't going to come on.

Doesn't have it.

Will be gone at years end most likely.

TDK #1
Pitto great back up
HOK our developing ruck

Markov isn't going to come on.

Doesn't have it.

Will be gone at years end most likely.

TDK #1
Pitto great back up
HOK our developing ruck
If we are delisting Mirkov, let’s at least get his name right.

We have a great mix. TDK and Pitto are both AFL quality mature rucks, with Tom threatening “superstardom”.
HOK progressing nicely, but needs another year of development before being truly ready. Combative enough that he would acquit himself admirably if called upon early.

If we (fairly) assume Mirk does go, we shouldn’t need another for a while. Young is reasonable if needed and Lemmey is shaping as a decent pinch hitter if he can consolidate his main role. Then we have Harry, JSOS, Crippa and Chugga chopping out in game. Nigel played a game or two in the ruck for Norf as a kid too.

Providing TDK re-signs, we are covered for the next 5 years or so.

We seem to be a better clearance side with Pittonet but better over the park with TDK plus Harry getting involved in the game as a chop out.

I think we also need to be aware that TDK is out of contract shortly and will be a free agent. Needs to be considered assuming he wants to be a number 1 ruck, he will be getting offers from clubs to be that

Some games we might be ok to play both but the majority Pittonet should be the back-up. No harm resting King during the season and playing TDK either.

We have not played a game this year with just Pitto as the ruck. Nor with our main defence setup.
I would be interested to see if TDK was rested / managed and we just had Pitto runk what our numbers would be.

I favour the 1 ruck setup not the 2 ruck setup. Roughly a season where a 70/30 game split with TDK as first ruck.

37 hit outs today in the VFL. Give him a chance.
Been on our list since mid 2021. We've had a pretty decent look.

Okay tap ruckman at best. No tank. Doesn't offer much around the ground. Can't mark.

Rather put our effort into developing HOK.

Find other rookie ruck if needed.

It'd be great if we could just play 1 or the other based on the opposition/matchups.

If our best chance to win is by our rebound game, then TDK.
If our best chance to win is by our clearance game, then Pitto.

I assume no player would put up with such a thing and request a trade immediately.

One thing you must also consider is Mackay is bar far a better footballer than any other second ruck in the competition .. when he is involved against the second ruck or any makeshift ruck we look good..
I'm still a one ruck advocate it just the third fwd option that is our Achilles at the moment ..I actually prefer Mackay second ruck and silvagni pure third tall - hopefully Martin can get a run at it to the finals

Been on our list since mid 2021. We've had a pretty decent look.

Okay tap ruckman at best. No tank. Doesn't offer much around the ground. Can't mark.

Rather put our effort into developing HOK.

Find other rookie ruck if needed.

Think this comes down to what we see HOK's role being.

If we want to develop him as a future 1st choice ruck, then Mirkov needs to go because he doesn't have a second position. If Mirkov plays, Mirkov rucks or you're down a player, and then HOK is playing predominantly forward.

If we want to develop HOK as a forward/ruck, then I don't mind keeping Mirkov for another couple of years while HOK splits his time across both positions. Would have to ask the question though...does it need to be on the senior list, or could we "demote" him to the VFL list knowing that it's unlikely any other club is going to bother grabbing him straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still see Pitto playing a major role, especially with the way finals are played

Either way, this group is starting to adapt and I think we will have a big 2nd half of the year
I totally agree Pitto has been in very good form when playing in the seniors. I think it comes down to solely matchups. We play Melbourne Pitto and tdk play. Last week against port Pitto would have been a good inclusion and TDK forward so Allir wouldn’t intercept as much. I think if there is a dominate Ruck or an opposition has three tall defenders and a good interceptor both play. If the opposition lack in this go with TDK

I totally agree Pitto has been in very good form when playing in the seniors. I think it comes down to solely matchups. We play Melbourne Pitto and tdk play. Last week against port Pitto would have been a good inclusion and TDK forward so Allir wouldn’t intercept as much. I think if there is a dominate Ruck or an opposition has three tall defenders and a good interceptor both play. If the opposition lack in this go with TDK
TDK was arguably best on ground playing number 1 ruck and you still think pitt would have been good to have? TDK wasn't that good in spite of pitto missing, it was because he was missing. Our mids lobbing the ball on top of Allir and Kennedy is not a reason to have to play Tom forward, it's a reason to kick better.

Pitt has been very good every game he's played this year. I still think we're a better team without him. Only time I'd consider him would be against Gawn or potentially teams like freo with 2 gun rucks.

It'd be great if we could just play 1 or the other based on the opposition/matchups.

If our best chance to win is by our rebound game, then TDK.
If our best chance to win is by our clearance game, then Pitto.

I assume no player would put up with such a thing and request a trade immediately.
Kingy talked about it this morning on SEN, pretty much said the same thing - and statistically, Pitto is the #1 clearance ruckman in the AFL right now.

He suggested that you play both, but sub Pitto out mid way through the 3rd for an extra running player. The danger with that of course is if you cop an injury during the course of the game - but otherwise does make sense.

McKay in the midfield is brilliant and I really hope we see that this time. He gives a different dynamic in the ruck and around the ground gives us another footballer who gets involved in play, instead of a lumbering giant who stays out of the way. He's a lot like DeKoning. Natural footballer, good athlete, gets involved in the midfield play. McKay going into the ruck gets him out of the forward line and get him involved in the game, give Curnow more range and allows us to go smaller and more mobile for moments. Also gets rid of the three players over 195cm which I don't like in this age of rebound pressure footy. Kills us on the rebound being so tall. Reckon with a fit Silvagni and/or Martin TDK sole ruck, McKay giving the chop out is the ideal structure.

The days of tap only ruck is well and truly dead. All AFL footballer need to be able to catch a ball. Ruckmen need to compete in the air and take a few marks. Mirkov won't make it to next season and I'm pretty skeptical on HOK. We have a few talls who aren't marking the ball at all. Lemmy is another. I am expecting a the list cull to come from this area.

It's an interesting one because I'm sure mids like Cripps would still say they prefer Pitto for the hitouts. But not sure they should be relying on that to win quality ball.

Then again, TDK fed them ball tonight aplenty, just in a different way.

The problem for Carlton isnt when TDK is on ground it is when he isnt on ground and opposition have a semi decent relief ruck option - putting Kennedy in against Wright didn't really work - and allowed them easy clearances and momentum.

TDK was super impressive again this time against the DCs.

Immediately after a bounce/throw up he is another mid …but with strength and power and lightening hand passes. Almost like the power mid some of us have been calling for.

I think the OP question needs to be changed or just close down this thread.

The question has well and truly been answered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back